Recommendation for a small Linux Asterisk Computer

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

habusho

Recommendation for a small Linux Asterisk Computer

Post by habusho » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

I own a small business and have just recently purchased a tiny UDOO computer. It's very similar to a Rasberry PI. I have some issues with this setup and I'm looking to move up to an Intel Based low power computer. The system must be able to work nicely with Linux, specifically CentOS. I've heard that graphics drivers lately are a big issue.

Ideally, I'm looking for a very tiny, fanless system that I can put away in a cabinet somewhere in my office and have it run our phone systems.

I've been looking at different systems out there and I'm not sure whether building a system or buying a tiny barebones system would be the way to go. So far, the Gigabyte Brix system seems interesting. If you have any other recommendations or suggestions, please let me know.

quest_for_silence

Re: Recommendation for a small Linux Asterisk Computer

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:00 am

habusho wrote:If you have any other recommendations or suggestions, please let me know.

Set aside any NUC kit (as definitely a Brix is), you might give a look to those two barebones:

Shuttle XS35V4
Shuttle DS437T

habusho

Post by habusho » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:07 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
habusho wrote:If you have any other recommendations or suggestions, please let me know.

Set aside any NUC kit (as definitely a Brix is), you might give a look to those two barebones:

Shuttle XS35V4
Shuttle DS437T
Thx for the tips. I had taken a look at the Shuttles before but they had trouble playing nice with Linux because of the type of integrated graphics they had.

The XS35V4 has "Intel's 7th Generation Graphics Engine". I'm not sure which that one is.

I took a look at the XS35V4 model's page and it doesn't really say that it would be compatible with Linux. It does say this though:

Due to the Intel chipset spec reason, the XS35V4/XS36V4 only supports Windows 8/8.1 64bit operating system.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 am

habusho wrote:The XS35V4 has "Intel's 7th Generation Graphics Engine". I'm not sure which that one is.

It's an Intel Bay Trail (J1900), so you may look for the specific Intel HD engine on Intel website (whether Asterisk requires X).

habusho wrote:I took a look at the XS35V4 model's page and it doesn't really say that it would be compatible with Linux. It does say this though:

Due to the Intel chipset spec reason, the XS35V4/XS36V4 only supports Windows 8/8.1 64bit operating system.

The DS437T on the other hand is a regular mobile Ivy Bridge, so it should play safe with Linux.

habusho

Post by habusho » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:37 am

Ok, understood.
So far this shuttle XS35V4 seems like an extremely good option.
Any other machines I should consider?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:27 pm

habusho wrote:Any other machines I should consider?
Zotac Zbox CI320 nano

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 am

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Likely it shouldn't be able to run Linux effortless (it's meant for Win 8, isn't it?).

HFat

Post by HFat » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 am

I wouldn't rule out the compatibility. The CPU seems to be a Bay Trail with a regular Intel GPU.
habusho wrote:So far this shuttle XS35V4 seems like an extremely good option.
Any other machines I should consider?
The other Shuttle has a mainstream Intel CPU that's probably marginally better for your usage and which may have better compatibility. Power consumption ought to be a bit higher though.

If you want to buy a Bay Trail, be aware that there are faster boards available now (packing the J2900 CPU). If something like the ISK110 is small enough for you, building you own barebone with one of these boards is very easy: put together the board and the ISK110 (or equivalent product) and you're done. No other parts are needed other than the RAM and storage (as you would need with other barebones).
There are also other Bay Trail fanless barebones. Use a search engine or fanlesstech.com.

habusho

Post by habusho » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The power fanatic in me wouldn't let me pull the trigger on a J1900 celeron.
I've gone ahead and ordered an Intel D54250WYK - an Intel Haswell Core i5 Nuc.
I'm going to be putting the motherboard inside of this case: http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-chassis/ which is a passive aluminum case.