All water cooling the SFF SG06, I need your help doing it.

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WildWhite

All water cooling the SFF SG06, I need your help doing it.

Post by WildWhite » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 pm

This 3D model is my general inspiration for the build.

https://grabcad.com/library/watercooled-mitx-pc - Go to slide 7 and load it to view it.

I am not sure about the fan and radiator, both of which look like they can be bigger slightly, and I think there is a much quieter fan that pushes far more air, like the gentle typhoon, though that one excels more at fast air, but at lower rpm it isnt much quiet. Just from a few testings, it seems like one of the EKWB should fit my needs for a thick one that gets in as much heat as I can. I think EKWB's blocks are also good as well, abit pricey, perhaps there is something cheaper, but just as good? They claim 2.2C better then everyone else.

I also plan on watercooling the VRM's that might get a little complicated, but the items and tubing shouldnt be that large, probably using one of these in parallel https://koolance.com/index.php?route=pr ... ry&path=66.

Im open to other cases, one such I like is the Lian Li PC-Q21 which has slim drive, but it doesnt have a good ventilation setup for watercooling unless its seriously modified. Im king of looking for something relatively boxy, or triangular, that way its not susceptible to bending.

I am really not sure what combination I should do to achieve being quiet, and well performing for heat dispersing. Picking things such as the motherboard, cpu, cd drive, ssd, etc are all a little irrelevant when I cannot get the right cooling and power combination, which I hope you all can help me with.

edh

Re: All water cooling the SFF SG06, I need your help doing i

Post by edh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Watercooling is not the favourite cooling method around here - pump noise tends to become more apparent that fan noise and it's unlikely to give much better cooling than some of the bigger air coolers on the market.

Looking at the hardware listed in the link, are you using a 3570k for a new build? Is this hardware you already have? I would be worried that with an older more power intensive CPU and graphics card that the temperatures will be too hot to keep it going silently. A more modern set of hardware would mean no need to run watercooling.

WildWhite

Re: All water cooling the SFF SG06, I need your help doing i

Post by WildWhite » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:36 pm

edh wrote:Watercooling is not the favourite cooling method around here - pump noise tends to become more apparent that fan noise and it's unlikely to give much better cooling than some of the bigger air coolers on the market.

Looking at the hardware listed in the link, are you using a 3570k for a new build? Is this hardware you already have? I would be worried that with an older more power intensive CPU and graphics card that the temperatures will be too hot to keep it going silently. A more modern set of hardware would mean no need to run watercooling.
Im actually probably going to use a ryzen build, maybe coffee lake, depending on how it turns out vs ryzen. Im aware of what your saying about a hot cpu, and gpu, which probably means little or no overclocking. For the GPU, it would probably be hybrid cooled, with the gpu fans being duel, and running at a lower rpm.

Much in the way you can hybrid cool gpu's, can you hybrid A cpu? doing an all hybrid system

I dont intend on running any "extreme edition builds.

This said, this will also depend highly on the effectiveness of my cooling parts, a fan that pumps as much air as possible while being as quiet as possible, and radiator that compliments and can disperse heat the best.

Surely there is a quiet pump now, yes? Covering with a layer or two of sound dampening material???