Silent Pre-built

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Silent Pre-built

Post by JVM » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:56 am

I thought it may serve people looking for pre-built systems to post information. I have a fanless pre-built from Silent PC and it is silent. So for others looking for quiet to silent systems with options to make it your own, here is the link https://silentpc.com/

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Silent Pre-built

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 am

It's great, that you are satisfied with your system, but these guys are damn pricey. If I was living in States and in need of custom computer, I would just love to try Puget Systems. Looking at how they build, test and tweak computers and how their whole cilent experience looks like, these guys look just amazing in terms of everything to that point, where me as guy from Central Europe, who doesn't give a damn about custom computers, knows them and threat as shining example of such company. Another aspect is their unique attitude of showing just on their site results of their research, but also explaining everything in the way allowing even completely beginner to configure himself system matching his needs without even need to contact them. These guys seem to aim to deliver you awesome computer, but not squeeze as much money possible from you and nowadays it's something out of this world.

About the prices, try to configure the same system with, let's say 11900K and RTX 3080 on Puget's site and create the possibly similar one on SilentPC - compare also little details as case, case fans, cooler or anything you can't choose. Then check the prices and Puget Systems completing the build methodology with client experience and compare it with yours and linked guys.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php

https://silentpc.com/powerhouse-pcs/roc ... e-tower-pc

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 pm

I like Puget as well - but the last time I looked (maybe a month ago), it seemed like they had abandoned the lower end platforms for more professional workstations/higher end systems.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:55 pm

Yeah, they shortened Products categories and e.g. custom loop sytems dissapeared. It seems they also made options to choose simplier with basing them on CPU and removing kinda empty ones as earlier first in the row ,,general use computer" or silence focused Serenity, which can be made by tweaking any. Another thing is, if they are likely to go beyond their offer and build something client wishes like JVM wanted fully passive tower.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:13 am

I had contacted Puget before making a final decision. In my case, I was looking to go fanless and Puget couldn't offer me any such opportunity. Puget wanted me to build with 6+ fans and more expensive than silentpc.com During my conversation with the man from Puget, he said they were not into building silent PCs because the market had shifted. Thus, they didn't offer the Meshify case and no silent builds--all builds with fans.

I received a quote from Puget that was more than I paid from silentpc.com for a silent system.

In my experience looking for a silentpc built with no fans, silentpc.com is the clear winner!

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:22 am

Fine as in the end of the day the only thing, which matters for everyone is being satisfied ;)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:31 am

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:22 am
Fine as in the end of the day the only thing, which matters for everyone is being satisfied ;)
Exactly, and my purpose in starting this thread was and is to provide information to assist people looking for Silent pre-built systems, quiet and silent. Silentpc.com has a fairly large selection to choose from. I don't think there is any other company that can compete with them regarding silent builds, and that is the topic, Silent Pre-built.

I consider myself very lucky to have found silentpc.com.

Oh, you may get a chuckle out of this one: My daughter and husband came over for dinner last night. I showed my computer to him with LEDs shining through the case. He looked and said, and I quote, "That must be a powerful computer." I didn't say anything. Let him think whatever he wants :) Apparently the LEDs give the illusion of power. That gives me an idea, strap some battery operated LEDs to my soon-to-be 79 year old arms :lol:

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:38 am

JVM wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:31 am
Exactly, and my purpose in starting this thread was and is to provide information to assist people looking for Silent pre-built systems, quiet and silent. Silentpc.com has a fairly large selection to choose from. I don't think there is any other company that can compete with them regarding silent builds, and that is the topic, Silent Pre-built.
I got it and my purpose was only to say that they are pricey and Puget seems way cheaper and I find them extraordinary good ;) Especially when even Puget are still pricey, but market of custom computers is a little different and adds some values in return. So my point was to give people, who will find your thread option to compare. I don't know, how popular in USA are Puget, they are for sure, but I can't say, if their popularity reaches beyond pc enthusiast community. Puget seems more workstation oriented company due to how their offer looks like, but from how often they use words ,,quiet" or ,,silent" they seem to be nice adress to check.
JVM wrote:
My daughter and husband came over for dinner last night.
So maybe sorry for my joke in another thread about LGBT society. Nothing offensive from me, just do what you like, but be decent citizens and we fine :]
JVM wrote:
I showed my computer to him with LEDs shining through the case. He looked and said, and I quote, "That must be a powerful computer." I didn't say anything. Let him think whatever he wants :) Apparently the LEDs give the illusion of power. That gives me an idea, strap some battery operated LEDs to my soon-to-be 79 year old arms :lol:
Yeah, I noticed that people not knowing much about pcs tend to perceive ones with leds, ARGB or however fancy design as strong computers. Probably they look to them more expensive, so possibly stronger than ordinary black boxes they see in offices. And your NoFan IcePipe cooler makes an impression looking like it's about to pull them inside :D Probably my black Define 7 non-widowed case with whatever components hidden inside would look for them as some garbage and old, because so big, computer due to ITX ones getting more popular and look premium in eyes of average Joes :D

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:12 pm

I don't know why you say silentpc.com is pricey. From what I can gather, Puget is more expensive. Compare my system price to comparable system on Puget and tell me the cost difference. The only system that is as close to mine that I can find on Puget costs more than mine--and it isn't silent. It is more powerful but that's because they are not into building silent computers.

Now silentpc.com does offer other systems more powerful than mine, and if they cost more then that may be what you see for comparison. However, if we are talking silent computers, then where is Puget? Every system they seem to offer has fans. The more powerful the computer the harder it is to keep temps down. Thus fans and more fans. I don't think Puget is offering a passive PSU, and certainly not a case without fans. The Meshify is, in my opinion, a good choice for silent computer build because of mesh front, top and back. Puget doesn't offer that case. Now maybe they did in the past, but that Puget representative told me they don't build silent computers anymore because the market has changed. How has the market changed? Well, I think his reason was people are more into gaming now and that means fans and more fans. Hey got to cool that heat! Yeah, like 2 fans in front, fan facing up at top, another fan at the rear, and big fans. Add in PSU fan and video card fan. Maybe another fan facing down? :lol:

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:11 am

JVM wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:12 pm
I don't know why you say silentpc.com is pricey. From what I can gather, Puget is more expensive. Compare my system price to comparable system on Puget and tell me the cost difference. The only system that is as close to mine that I can find on Puget costs more than mine--and it isn't silent. It is more powerful but that's because they are not into building silent computers.
These guys generally scalp terribly on GPU, but have also strange jumps in prices like more than 200$ for going from Corsair RMx to HX. Sorry, but most people buying custom computer from such company need GPU. I don't care about what makes their prices so high, we are here and now and can't know, how it will look like in the future. And I told you before, if somebody needs silent potato to browse internet, buys fanless mini pc, not custom built tower from such company. Yeah, I know that you wanted big case etc. What else I don't like is their non-changeable choices. NH-L12S cooler on K options of i7 or i9? A little too much in terms of temperatures, especially after OC, but generally this is low-profile cooler, which only make sense in cases not being able to store bigger one. Plus something like this is the farthest possible option from being quiet or maybe even silent, especially during load and not many buy i7 to just browse web. And what is doing premiered in 2014 Define R5 in new computer from 2021? We had R6 in 2017 and 7 in 2020, which both are improved versions of R5. Optionally, what may be important to some, treated as a furniture look more premium, just better due to better materials. The answer probably is, 7 is ~50% more expensive than R5. Another option is their quiet fans upgrade with Nexus Real Silent 120mm compared to Puget's Noctuas. Wft are these? I can't find any comparison of this fans to others and I don't bother too dig hard, because looking at their price and just how ,,quality" they look I suspect what kind of quiet fans they are - quiet thanks to barely moving any air. It's typical for that price range, so not my pure assumptions due to not being able to rate their performance as you can't rate it with producer's specification. All of this are some turn offs to me, which tell me that these guys aim to maximize profit with cutting corners. Puget just go opposite direction.

One thing I have to admit and I just checked it that If you aim to build under both adresses two possibly similar cheapest possible units with minimal amount of components and without GPU - SilentPC are cheaper. But I told you something about potato mini pc. Another aspect is everything else, what goes with buying custom pc and what components prices include - overall client experience starting with discussing build matching your needs, amount of work they put into your system (it may be more than just putting components together), what you get with your PC (e.g. Puget's brochure with all bios settings in case of you messing some) and how aftersale service looks like. I can't rate here SilentPC due to no interest, never had any contact with Puget also, but there're a lot of e.g. youtube reviews of Puget units, where clients nicely describe how everything from the start looks like. Here Puget represent superior level and to some here may lay the answer, which company is better.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:30 am

So you are basing satisfaction on what you've seen on YouTube. I don't think that is a very scientific measure of anything. As for after sale, Silentpc.com has phone numbers for support and also sales. They also have an email address. Unless you or I have a survey representing customers from both and their experience after, and before sale, we cannot make any judgments about support or quality.

You see a few whatever on YouTube and bingo! I am not like that.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:23 am

Don't try to approach it like trying hard to be right and prove me that I'm wrong. Everybody who will ever read this thread, evaulate for themselves which company is more attractive. And don't try hard to defend SilentPC - these guys only sold you computer, not gave better life or anything, which would somehow justify fighting for them. Man, we have capitalism and that topic is just extremaly capitalistic :D

In first part of my previous post you decided to not discuss with, I wrote the facts. I know just enough about hardware to present these things not as opinion, but the facts, so sorry if you don't like it, but better know more than me, if trying to prove me that I'm wrong with them.

If you want to discuss about client experience between going with Puget or SilentPC, we both aren't fit to do it ;) You tried only one company and I've never tried any and as I wrote in my first post generally I'm not interested in custom pc market. Basing on mentioned Youtube, buyers describing whole order process, but also content added by Puget, which presents it, I ONLY gave my opinion that they seem extraordinary solid. I also - basing on mentioned above facts - compared them to SilentPC and that comparison make me see them more solid then before.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:58 am

The one thing you seem to neglect is this topic is Silent Pre-built. Do you have a silent pre-built from Puget to compare with silentpc.com?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:01 am

By the way, I don't mean you have it in your possession, just find it and let's compare.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:21 am

Just a fyi: Here's an article from the archives. It shows what they were capable of 10 years ago when hardly anyone else was focused on quiet computing.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:48 am

JVM wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:58 am
The one thing you seem to neglect is this topic is Silent Pre-built. Do you have a silent pre-built from Puget to compare with silentpc.com?
If you mean by Silent Pre-build computer like yours (ATX case with passively-cooled components), no, I don't have and have never had due to what I told you here and in other threads: Need potato to browse web? Low or maybe even no-maintenance, fanless mini pc. Need more power? Actively cooled components with fans running inaudibly in closed, silence-focused case as Define series will staying the same silent as passive build handle thermally more power than fanless one made of available to everybody components (like SilentPC or Puget use in their builds - difference between System Integrators called SI, who they are and Orignal Equipment Manufacturers known as OEM, who are different story).

I get that you wanted tower with passive components and according to you Puget wouldn't build it for you. I get it, but due to what I said above, belive me that you are that much niche client to could be called exception. But ofc I don't see anything wrong with it as everybody has their own likings ;)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:19 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:21 am
Just a fyi: Here's an article from the archives. It shows what they were capable of 10 years ago when hardly anyone else was focused on quiet computing.
What does 10 years ago have to do with today?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:21 am

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:48 am
JVM wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:58 am
If you mean by Silent Pre-build computer like yours (ATX case with passively-cooled components), no, I don't have and have never had due to what I told you here and in other threads: Need potato to browse web? Low or maybe even no-maintenance, fanless mini pc. Need more power? Actively cooled components with fans running inaudibly in closed, silence-focused case as Define series will staying the same silent as passive build handle thermally more power than fanless one made of available to everybody components (like SilentPC or Puget use in their builds - difference between System Integrators called SI, who they are and Orignal Equipment Manufacturers known as OEM, who are different story).

I get that you wanted tower with passive components and according to you Puget wouldn't build it for you. I get it, but due to what I said above, belive me that you are that much niche client to could be called exception. But ofc I don't see anything wrong with it as everybody has their own likings ;)
I asked you to present a silent computer from Puget so we can compare cost. That is all , just show/link to whatever you think Puget has to offer in the silent computer category.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:55 am

Any computer you can configure on Puget's site may be silent due to what I told you about fans being able to run inaudible. We established before, that Puget has higher baseline price of possibly similar setup, but also uses better and higher quality components, so it can be treated as a draw. The thing is, only if we talk about computers without GPU. Just add the same model to Puget and SPC carts to see SPC giving you worse and terribly overpriced computer.

I don't know where you try to go with this discussion. I feel like we start running circles :)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:27 am

When I talked with the gentleman from Puget, he said their systems with fans are not silent. He further said they were very quiet. However, you know better, right? I mean you have said system from Puget and can confirm what Puget said is not true.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:14 pm

Yeah, I know better, but than you ;)

Now I'm sitting next to computer with PSU fan running, three case fans running, two cooler fans running and it' silent as off. Literally, even during quietest night, all windows closed and perfect silence in room it's the same silent as yours. I need to put my ear to front vents of my case to be able to hear it, but normal people don't do so. My components operate with lower temperatures than they would, if I removed all of the fans, so I would have them the same silent, but hotter.

Another story is the load scenario as gaming or using CPU/GPU intensive software. I can set my fans to be still the same silent as during webbrowsing, but the price will be higher temperatures. If I removed all of the fans, this price would be even higher, so once again the same silent, but this time waaaay hotter. With growth of components temperatures, after reaching certain thresholds, they start to lower their performance to cool itself down and if it doesn't help, they turn off. Only one way to prevent it, is to use fans, what Puget guy for sure meant OR limit their performance to not let them overheat.

It all means that silent, but active build can handle bigger amount of heat (stronger components are more power hungry) without overheating, so offer you more performance. Alternatively it can handle the same configuration as yours, but provide lower temperatures.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:14 pm
Yeah, I know better, but than you ;)

Now I'm sitting next to computer with PSU fan running, three case fans running, two cooler fans running and it' silent as off. Literally, even during quietest night, all windows closed and perfect silence in room it's the same silent as yours. I need to put my ear to front vents of my case to be able to hear it, but normal people don't do so. My components operate with lower temperatures than they would, if I removed all of the fans, so I would have them the same silent, but hotter.

Another story is the load scenario as gaming or using CPU/GPU intensive software. I can set my fans to be still the same silent as during webbrowsing, but the price will be higher temperatures. If I removed all of the fans, this price would be even higher, so once again the same silent, but this time waaaay hotter. With growth of components temperatures, after reaching certain thresholds, they start to lower their performance to cool itself down and if it doesn't help, they turn off. Only one way to prevent it, is to use fans, what Puget guy for sure meant OR limit their performance to not let them overheat.

It all means that silent, but active build can handle bigger amount of heat (stronger components are more power hungry) without overheating, so offer you more performance. Alternatively it can handle the same configuration as yours, but provide lower temperatures.
None of that addresses my question to you. I told you what Puget said, and? I will repeat, he said and this was by phone, they do not make silent computers.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:41 pm

This has degraded past the point where I want to contribute. Feel free to argue at each other.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:37 am

@CA_Steve I just sense some bs here and I don't like it in terms of anybody ever suggested with it.

@JVM Yeah, you told me what, according to you, Puget said. That's why I explained you, how things work. To discuss with what you said, I need you to answer two questions:

How exactly Puget described their system being very quiet, but not silent. Always very quiet-hearable or maybe only during load when fans need to ramp up to adequatly cool components?

What was his explanation of suggesting you system with six fans? Do we speak about system consisting of just i7 11700K with only parts needed to just complete working computer?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:02 am

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:37 am
@CA_Steve I just sense some bs here and I don't like it in terms of anybody ever suggested with it.

@JVM Yeah, you told me what, according to you, Puget said. That's why I explained you, how things work. To discuss with what you said, I need you to answer two questions:

How exactly Puget described their system being very quiet, but not silent. Always very quiet-hearable or maybe only during load when fans need to ramp up to adequatly cool components?

What was his explanation of suggesting you system with six fans? Do we speak about system consisting of just i7 11700K with only parts needed to just complete working computer?
You never answered my question to provide a link to silent computer from Puget to compare. I see no reason to answer your questions if you don't answer mine.

This thread topic is silent pre-built and I provided information in the form of a link. Whether or not that silent system is suitable or not will be up to the individual. Now that is all I'm saying and I'm done with you.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:31 am

JVM wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:02 am
You never answered my question to provide a link to silent computer from Puget to compare.
I answered it multiple times with multiple ways. Anything they show in offer is able to run their fans that slow to run silently and some even have semi-passive mode, so are able to turn off their fan(s). So yes, Pudget sell silent pcs. Me not putting here damn link is your problem? https://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php
JVM wrote:
I see no reason to answer your questions if you don't answer mine.
Way of escaping from talking about things, which have never happened, right ;)?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:31 am
JVM wrote:
You never answered my question to provide a link to silent computer from Puget to compare.
I answered it multiple times with multiple ways. Anything they show in offer is able to run their fans that slow to run silently and some even have semi-passive mode, so are able to turn off their fan(s). So yes, Pudget sell silent pcs. Me not putting here damn link is your problem? https://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php
JVM wrote:
I see no reason to answer your questions if you don't answer mine.
Way of escaping from talking about things, which have never happened, right ;)?
$3000 bucks and you said silentpc is pricier. Anyway, I don't see any claim made about it being silent. You can go to silentpc.com and they clearly state fanless and

HTPCs (Home Theater PCs)
Media Servers
Silent Recording Studio PCs
Noiseless Workstation PCs
Low-Maintenance Industrial PCs (no dust)

For ultimate silence and unique craftsmanship, check out all of our Fanless PCs below. If you have any questions, or have custom computer needs, please don't hesitate to Contact Us.
Every Component In Our Fanless Computers Is Noiseless

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:11 pm

I forgot the link to above https://silentpc.com/fanless-pcs

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 pm

One more thing Japanese Capacitor, I don't care what you think is silent. If the company representative says they don't build silent computers, I don't care what you say. Furthermore, everyone and anyone may call Puget and ask them if they make a silent computer--and they can choose who will build their silent computer.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 pm

JVM wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:09 pm
$3000 bucks and you said silentpc is pricier. Anyway, I don't see any claim made about it being silent. You can go to silentpc.com and they clearly state fanless and
You are wrong. I said, who costs more, but also when many posts ago, but you still discuss with it... I was right about running circles ;)
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:55 am
Any computer you can configure on Puget's site may be silent due to what I told you about fans being able to run inaudible. We established before, that Puget has higher baseline price of possibly similar setup, but also uses better and higher quality components, so it can be treated as a draw. The thing is, only if we talk about computers without GPU. Just add the same model to Puget and SPC carts to see SPC giving you worse and terribly overpriced computer.

I don't know where you try to go with this discussion. I feel like we start running circles :)
JVM wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 pm
One more thing Japanese Capacitor, I don't care what you think is silent. If the company representative says they don't build silent computers, I don't care what you say. Furthermore, everyone and anyone may call Puget and ask them if they make a silent computer--and they can choose who will build their silent computer.
One more thing is for you to anwer my two questions - the same as I answered yours. I hope you see that hiding from it looks bad and basing what you say on what "somebody told you" doesn't look well too. Not having any computer knowledge, but neglecting mine due to Puget not having on their site big letters shouting SILENT mixes with above to form just terrible line of defense, which will result in rather nobody treating you serious. So you have your chance...
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:37 am