Global Win "Silent Stream" watercooling opinions?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

reformist

Global Win "Silent Stream" watercooling opinions?

Post by reformist » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:37 pm

Surprised I haven't seen any opinions concerning this water cooling kit:
http://www.atruereview.com/silentstream/index.php

I think it's been out for awhile. It's supposedly very simple and very affordable (US $80), and it looks like it can be installed in just about any case, as it's extremely small in size. I'm sure it doesn't have the greatest cooling properties in the world, but my fans are getting old and starting to make a lot of noise on some 1ghz machines I have, and if I could get a few kits like this one (and they actually work) that would be a great way to get rid of the noise.

Has anyone tried this product yet, and if so, how is the "silence" factor (it is "silent stream," after all)?

reformist

Post by reformist » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:13 pm

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:46 am

I haven't used one , but it's a definite loser.
First of all , the rad is very small , I doubt if it can cool anything without a fan and is insufficient for a high powered component , even with a fan.
Secondly , the pump is very small and on the waterblock.
So , it's not expandable (that pump couldn't possibly handle 2 blocks) and there is no possible way to dampen any pump vibrations.

In a single word , NO.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:57 am

a good aircooled setup will outperform it.

do not get it.

same goes for thermaltake aquarius kits.

if you're going to go for a kit, go with an asetek waterchill or a swiftech kit.

reformist

Post by reformist » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:13 pm

Well, one other thing to consider is price. I could not find any kits from asetek or swiftech that were comparable in price; maybe I'm not aware of the watercooling "deal" sites =)

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:15 pm

well whatever you do, it needs to be a big step up from aircooling to justify the extra expense. the asetek kits provide that; the globalwin crap doesn't.

it's like shopping for a telescope; if you're going to spend under USD300, you'd be better off buying some good binoculars.