Koolance EXOS is not silent in mode 1

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:59 pm

acaurora wrote:(I wonder if you can forward this to Ralf/Russ... I don't really know how to contact him...)
Basically posting anywhere will get in touch with me...I read pretty much every post in every thread. (now you know why redundant questions are my pet peeve. :evil:) Dunno about Ralf, he may skip these WC threads, not really his cup o' tea. (you can also PM me, email, AIM, or just throw little pebbles at my window late at night)

I fear that this thing will be louder than you think. You're really going to have to keep it from ramping up the fan speed, somehow, to have any chance of quietness.

Since all your noisemakers are now on top of the case, instead of inside it, I think I would have the money on the acoustic dampening.

My 2 cents. :lol:

But if you can get it to work quietly, it could be very interesting.

:lol:

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:08 pm

mmm... great. Just great. Can't cancel my order now... ~.~... Oh well. I'm putting M1As, not L1As. That might make a difference ~.~....

EDIT: Well with the V1100's acoustic dampening features, and the duct i had mentioned i had in mind earlier, I think that will help it somewhat. We'll find out in 2 weeks, when I return, and the V1100 arrives, so I can get everything all hooked up ^.^

Until then... back to being pissed off at my BANGING reserator :evil:

tijean

finally... SILENTX FANS = CRAP !

Post by tijean » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:36 pm

Just received my SilentX 1400rpm... Install them and it's now better but not perfectly silent. I'm running in mode 3 and the temperature is on par with the original fans. You can still hear some motor noise from the fans , with thet Panaflo you don't.

UPDATE 040802: SilentX fans are the worst piece of crap I ever own...After just 2 weeks they now produce a very distinc ball bearing noise that you can hear miles away... I just order new PANAFLO low speed with an adapter that goes from 12v to 9v... Should make them spin at 1400rpm... to be followed...
Last edited by tijean on Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:45 pm

acaurora wrote:back to being pissed off at my BANGING reserator :evil:
Is that a banging noise? Or is that banging as in, "dayamn das sum bangin' fried chikin', dawg!"

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:52 pm

Edward Ng wrote:
acaurora wrote:back to being pissed off at my BANGING reserator :evil:
Is that a banging noise? Or is that banging as in, "dayamn das sum bangin' fried chikin', dawg!"
Edward, shame on you. Just scroll down to see the other threads that Acaurora has posted:
Reserator - Clattering Noise
Reserator BANGING noise remains...

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:57 pm

Ah, I see...

I really thought he was saying that it was a bangin' good cooler the whole time; a great many of my own peers use that sort of vocabulary on a regular basis (as do I, but I refrain from doing so here at SPCR; not very professional looking).

Thanks for clarifying...

Artagra

Post by Artagra » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:31 pm

Mmm... what are your system specs? In my experience, the Koolance case systems (650 and 601) never ramp beyond the lowest speed settings - and I was under the impression the Exos's performed similarly?

Secondly, how about putting low speed fans on a fan controller rather than directly to the Exos?

Artagra

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Yah, I'm back from my vacation. I really should pick my words carefully. It isn't necessarily a really LOUD banging noise. You can hear something tapping against the aluminum interior of the Reserator. It isn't constant. Rather, it's intermittent, you hear it every few seconds or so. *tap......*tap...... etc etc.

Now that I'm back, I'm considering a method Ralf Hutter told me about to rip off the bottom plate of the Reserator so I can rip off the pump, and then use the Reserator as a giant radiator, such that the hot water coming out from the computer goes in there, cools off, then goes into the EXOS, so that the water temp is kept to a minimum as it enters the EXOS, thus keeping fan noise to a minimum. :P

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:31 am

acaurora wrote:Yah, I'm back from my vacation. I really should pick my words carefully. It isn't necessarily a really LOUD banging noise. You can hear something tapping against the aluminum interior of the Reserator. It isn't constant. Rather, it's intermittent, you hear it every few seconds or so. *tap......*tap...... etc etc.

Now that I'm back, I'm considering a method Ralf Hutter told me about to rip off the bottom plate of the Reserator so I can rip off the pump, and then use the Reserator as a giant radiator, such that the hot water coming out from the computer goes in there, cools off, then goes into the EXOS, so that the water temp is kept to a minimum as it enters the EXOS, thus keeping fan noise to a minimum. :P
You still want the pump. Otherwise, the head will be too much for Exos to handle. Been pondering about putting external passive radiator but been holding off due to pump issue :P

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:06 pm

Head? Can you be more specific? It seems sort of odd to put a 3rd pump into the loop, since the pumps pump water at different rates, wouldn't that create some pressure differences throughout the loop?