Thoughts on this planned (slightly ghetto :D) rig?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toiletduckuk

Thoughts on this planned (slightly ghetto :D) rig?

Post by toiletduckuk » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:59 pm

Right - i'm taking the plunge soon. Here's the plan.

Here's my very badly drawn ugly looking radbox! It's kind of half a box, with two open sides and a rad mounted to one of them, if that makes sense.

Pumps: 2x cps750s
Rad: dual heatercore w\ 2 120mm fans
Res: a random one.

The plan is this will go on top of my machine, as to keep the res at the top of the loop - this means no trapped air worries, right?

Blocks: whitewater cascade and maze4 gpu block, to cool a p4 3ghz prescott and x800xtpe.

Any thoughts or improvements I can make? Or anything that I've missed?

(bit tired, sure I'll edit on bits I forgot to mention!)

Cheers

Dave

d

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:44 pm

Putting the res at the top is not a complete cure for air trap problems. If you have enough of a high spot in your loop it can trap air, no matter where in the loop it is. Rads are particularly bad about this, but I've also heard of problems with some block setups.

OTOH, the res will catch bubbles no matter where it is, so long as there is enough flow to push them around the loop.

I would say that it is more important to ensure that there is a good straight shot, large bore, connection between the res and the pump inlet so that you get no resistance at the pump inlet.

(Of course the ideal scene might be to have a very tall res that lets the water enter near the top and then feeds an outlet near the bottom where the pumps are.

Gooserider

araaran

Post by araaran » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:41 am

quick suggestion -

Im a silence junkie, and I notice your box is open. The shape of your rad. suggests that it is fan bearing, not passive. You could silence the whole thing very easily by making the rest of the box and isolating the pump from the box wall with non-vibration stand-offs.

Cover the inside of the box with acoustic insulating foam, and give the whole thing an air inlet, but not in line-of-sight of the fans, maybe facing downwards.

You could also make your box the size and shape of the base of the pc, and rest your pc on top of it. If you did this you may be advised to move your reservoir to the top of the case... it depends on how strong your pump is.

Straker

Post by Straker » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:43 am

nothing wrong with the planned setup itself really (using a closed box would give you far more freedom with the fans though - can just put a rad wherever, and a bunch of fans on the back of the box), but a couple other things. if you just want it to be quiet, the pumps are fine, and if you want it to be a (still fairly quiet) behemoth the cascade is great; can't tell from the way you write it though whether you're getting a little river cascade (how?!) or a D-Tek WhiteWater. If it's the WW just remember you'll also have to do something with the extra out barb on the block.
just forgive and ignore me if anything of this sounds really off base, pills starting to work. look at the pq curves of those pumps and then the pq curve of the cascade and any other blocks, and then figure in the pressure loss from using fittings - figure what, 4 more fittings than usual to get the tubing in/out of the rad box and PC., and there'll also be more tubing than usual. there used to be a site that'd take factors like this and determine the pressure/flow your system as a whole should have.
i guess all my rambling could just be condensed down to "make sure everything will play with each other", since if you use a cascade with CSP750s, you'll definitely want to reduce pressure drops everywhere else in the circuit as much as possible etc