My home made silent(no fans) watercooled PC, almost finished

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LopeDogg

My home made silent(no fans) watercooled PC, almost finished

Post by LopeDogg » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:50 am

my site is not up to date.. i haven't worked on the project for a while.
I still need to build a new radiator and build a case.

I thought id share it with you.

http://v4.livegate.net/lopedogg/welcome.html

just click "da pictures"

its really irritating how people say silent, yet the project still includes fans and makes a noise. silent means you cant hear it. maybe "those" people are half deaf *g*

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:41 pm

well just because there are fans doesnt mean it isnt silent. also are you crazy. NEVER us a magnatized tool near a motherboard or anything involving a computer. does that thing still work. what kind of pump are you using. and on a side note what does *g* mean. it is all over your website

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm

you realize that hd's have rather stong magnets in them?

much stronger then any magnified screw-driver I've seen.

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:59 pm

yes but you dont put a hard drive right on a motherboard. but since they are so close in notebooks and sff systems then i guess it isnt a problem. i guess that is just a old myth. i am still going to use my demagnitized tools

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:53 pm

well i wouldn't reccomend putting the tool near ram when it's on or something it may cause some problems. But then you should be more worried about shorting the board.

Straker

Post by Straker » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:07 pm

only problem with using any sort of magnetized/magnetic tool around a motherboard would be getting too close to a metal part without noticing, and letting the tip get pulled onto a tiny cap/resistor/trace or something. :P rather risk that than futz around trying to get lost screws etc though

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:57 pm

Lopedogg:

It's spelled "Acronym", you non-"American fuck."

Shithead.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:00 pm

Whoa Dude!
:shock:
ONEshot; watch your language and tone! An attitude like that will get you banned.
Sounds like you need a few lessons in manners as well as social tolerance.
:roll:

msm_zgok

Re: My home made silent(no fans) watercooled PC, almost fini

Post by msm_zgok » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:54 pm

LopeDogg wrote: its really irritating how people say silent, yet the project still includes fans and makes a noise. silent means you cant hear it. maybe "those" people are half deaf *g*
Certain fans when undervolted are almost inaudible. Silence is a subjective issue, I think my Nexus @ 12V is silent enough while others may still want to undervolt it. BTW good job on the mods, must have spent a ton of time. What pump are you using?

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:37 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Whoa Dude!
:shock:
ONEshot; watch your language and tone! An attitude like that will get you banned.
Sounds like you need a few lessons in manners as well as social tolerance.
:roll:
rofl I have no idea what he is referring to but I thought it was hilarious. Maybe they are friends or something.

Oh and BTW that pic of who ever's gf on the front is a little uncalled for... I tend to roam forums at work and that stupid thing came up. Yeah, not cool. Atleast put a warning when you have something completely off topic like that forced up when you link to something. Quite rude if you ask me.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:38 pm

Well if you read his project closely, you'll see:
"Just felt the heatsink now, its in the high 40s (50 = pain, i go by that *g*) (yes CENTIGRADE you american fucks)"

My "social intolerance" was meant to emphasize his social intolerance.
You'll notice there are no "*g*"s after that statement, and for some reason, that bugged me a lot.

So by calling us fucks and then making a blatant spelling errors...

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:39 pm

By the way, i'm the farthest from a socially intolerant person you'd ever meet.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: My home made silent(no fans) watercooled PC, almost fini

Post by flyingsherpa » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:56 pm

LopeDogg wrote: its really irritating how people say silent, yet the project still includes fans and makes a noise. silent means you cant hear it. maybe "those" people are half deaf *g*
well, you may find it irritating but that doesn't mean it's inaccurate. you can have "no fans" and still be noisy (loud wc pump or loud drives) and you can have fans and be 'silent'. really the only truly 'silent' setup is all passive with a solid-state drive (so NO moving parts). but honestly, most of us would call anything that is <20db @ 1m to be close enough to 'silent'. if the only way you can hear it is to wait for a quiet night and stick your head right next to the box, well thats more than good enough for me. and thats how both my systems are... and they are both air cooled and have 5 and 3 fans.

i find it irritating when someone claims their system is silent when they have a WD hard drive in it. :wink:

DarkHorse, i believe the *g* is another notation of <g> which stands for 'grin', which you use to indicate that you thought what you just wrote was funny or witty (you are 'grinning' as you say/type it).

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:31 pm

ONEshot wrote:Well if you read his project closely, you'll see:
"Just felt the heatsink now, its in the high 40s (50 = pain, i go by that *g*) (yes CENTIGRADE you american f**ks)"

You'll notice there are no "*g*"s after that statement, and for some reason, that bugged me a lot.

So by calling us f**ks and then making a blatant spelling errors...
I agree with you, that statement bugged me too.
However...
I think that there is a fundamental difference between posting distorted opinions on your own personal webpage and posting on public forums. The difference boils down to choice. An analogy would be the difference between swearing in your own house or swearing on a street corner where people congregate.
I for one don't personally have a problem with swearing. I sometimes shout at my troops like a drunken sailor. As an active-duty American military servicemember, I defend our rights for free-speech daily, even if I disagree with the opinions of the speaker.
I believe that MikeC established some net-tiquete posting rules somewhere in these forums. That was my original point I think.

These 16-hr days are making me dizzy. Gotta go, someone's shooting at us. :x

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:08 pm

You're right; it was a brash decision and I now regret it.

Dont get shot!

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:16 pm

It wasn't small-arms fire. It was echoes from cluster bomblets. First time we've heard those here so we freaked. Sounds like lots of really big firecrackers going off in the distance. :lol:

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:30 pm

Mr_Smartepants do you have one of those panasonic toughbooks? I heard they can stop bullets. Are they quiet?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:58 pm

mpteach wrote:Mr_Smartepants do you have one of those panasonic toughbooks? I heard they can stop bullets. Are they quiet?
We actually did have one here for a while. It died from dust overload (not a bullet!) and we never did get it back from the shop. We've got four Dell Optiplex GX towers in our office tent (all very quiet considering the heat) but one just died (dust again) and the other three require cleaning once a week just to keep running. :roll:

The dust here resembles baking flour but is tan. Very fine flour! It gets everywhere. Our dead Dell had it's motherboard fried from the buildup. Almost none of our optical drives work anymore.
Ah well, only one month to go and then someone else can worry about them.

Bat

Post by Bat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:22 am

For that much dust, sealed water-cooled cases with external radiators sound like a good idea. On the other hand, external radiators are not what you want for something that has to be carried about a lot.

earworm

Post by earworm » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:52 am

just to add a litle note;
i used to work with a little Panasonic toughbook;
very nice laptop, very very silent,
i constantly used it to playback music while i fell asleep,

the only thing i heard was some sporadic BRR BRR when the harddisc was thinking, but that was because the laptop was laying on my wooden desc,

had a simple solution for it: i turned the toughbook on its side so the harddisc part wouldn't touch the desc anymore,

no more noize

too bad i smashed the (touch)screen two years ago, so it became useless,
i loved that laptop, for its size, silence and was so easy to use

LopeDogg

hmm

Post by LopeDogg » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:23 am

you guys are right about the silence issue.

from my point of view, computer noise is un natural and i dont want to be subjected to it unnecessarily.
i often find myself in the situation where i turn my pc off because i dont want the noise, but i'd still like to leave it on for whatever reason.

and its not an easy choice.

id like to be able to sleep with my pc on, on a quiet night, and not hear it.

the goal is to be unable to tell when its on or off...
i wont be able to work on it for a while, im probably going to be doing some travelling soon, and i dont have any workspace to work on it either..
i built everything so far with relatively primitive tools, was quite challenging at times.

ONEshot, you're obviously a bit sensitive due to all the american hating going on. I didnt mean it in a bad way, it was a joke. chill.

flyingsherpa: yeah, i got a seagate barracuda 160GB now, its freakishly quiet... i just need to find a suitable foam for building the soundproofing box.

im using a cheap 5W pump.. its a really nice pump. 220Vac
it does 1.3m head pressure, doesnt pump water like a fire hose, but it does the job...
when i was testing with the bucket... i tried running a 25W pump aswell... the 25W pump game me temps that were about 3-4 degrees lower.
the 25W pump was so damn noisy, there was no question as to which pump to choose.
When i decouple the pump's vibrations, its barely audible.
with some sound dampening foam around the res, it should be perfect.

im dying to finish the project but the pressures of life are holding me back atm :/

Sleeper

Post by Sleeper » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:23 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote:
ONEshot wrote:Well if you read his project closely, you'll see:
"Just felt the heatsink now, its in the high 40s (50 = pain, i go by that *g*) (yes CENTIGRADE you american f**ks)"

So by calling us f**ks and then making a blatant spelling errors...
I agree with you, that statement bugged me too.
However...
I think that there is a fundamental difference between posting distorted opinions on your own personal webpage and posting on public forums. The difference boils down to choice. An analogy would be the difference between swearing in your own house or swearing on a street corner where people congregate.

Sorry Mr_Smartepants
I have to disagree.

Its not private anymore when you open the door to your house and invite everyone in. Furthermore, if you yell loud enough (even in your private abode), the cops are going to pay you a visit. That is not a violation of your first amendment rights.... its called disturbing the peace.

I think you guys are being just a bit too politically correct.
Glad to see that you did what I would do.... kill off the thread.
Don't give advice to a schmuck and a boor.

LopeDogg.
Consider yourself lucky... you could have been deluged with misinformation. Chill yourself.