Anyone tried out any of these HDD water cooling products?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

timebandit

Anyone tried out any of these HDD water cooling products?

Post by timebandit » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:50 am

HD-O-Matic MICRO Hard drive watercooler for 3,5 HDD
Innovatek HD-O-Matic Waterblock HDD

I'm thinking of getting one of there watercooling product for cooling the hdd's... but i can't find any review or anything on these :( So i turn to you people =))
Have you tried out any of these 2 and can say what temp you got or something?

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:01 am

I can't speak from first hand experience, but you may want to investigate the SilentStar (SilentStor?) HD-dual and single - these cool and quieten your hard drives, and I've seen a report (on a forum, in French, badly translated by google) that it cooled a Cheetah 15K.3 to 36ºC. So it should cool a Raptor or any 7,200 RPM drive just fine.

ferdb

Post by ferdb » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:40 am

My only experience with HD blocks is with the Koolance one. The experience was bad, it killed my drive. Since then I've just payed a little attention to airflow in the case so there is sufficient cooling on the drives. They aren't hard to cool even with very quiet case setups if you make sure they get decent airflow.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:36 pm

While those already mentioned will all work you may also wish to check out the ones made by Asetek

www.frozencpu.com

A combination of a copper contact plate & plexi upper, a bit of bling & also the copper should aid temps. Yet as only the contact plate is copper it shouldn't weigh to much.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:38 am

I don't know why I didn't post this before, but the biggest advantage of the Asetek HDD water coolers is that they have no aluminum in them. Both the Koolance & Innovatek HDD coolers are made of alum. a unneeded corrosion risk in a water loop.

fingers

HDD Cool

Post by fingers » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:02 am

After a lot of research (there's not much out there about this enclousure but none of the others seemed that great so it was the one with the most promise!) I settled on the SilentStar Dual watercooled HDD enclousure. Starbuck3733T is using one in his Goliath - 70+ pounds of watercooled beast project and he seems very happy with it 8) (think he wrote a mini review in his project log on bit-tech.net)

Its said to smother the noise of even a 15k SCSI drive (as mentioned above). I have it sat ready to be installed just waiting on the last few parts for my w/c system to arrive so I'll let you know when its installed :D

here's a pic ...

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:00 am

Spod wrote:I can't speak from first hand experience, but you may want to investigate the SilentStar (SilentStor?) HD-dual and single - these cool and quieten your hard drives, and I've seen a report (on a forum, in French, badly translated by google) that it cooled a Cheetah 15K.3 to 36ºC. So it should cool a Raptor or any 7,200 RPM drive just fine.
Yeah, I've just got a dual cooler but haven't had a chane to fit it. They're rated to cool two raptors pretty well. depends on flow rate mainly.

fingers

Post by fingers » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:07 am

I finally fitted my SilentStar and have to say the thing is awesome. My WD is completely inaudiable except for the faintest clicking when running a defrag! And this is a very, very loud drive!!

I did have to modify the unit slightly due to the restriction caused when using it in a large diameter tubing loop youu can see this here, but after I modded it the restriction is minimal and I would recommend it to anyone on a small ID tubing loop or that has the tools to do the relevent modifications 8)

dean.collins

Post by dean.collins » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:56 pm

I use dual silent stars on my reserator.

apart from one of them leaking once because I didn't tighten it properly they work great.

highly reccomended.

Cheers,
Dean

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:08 am

Got one for sale on the forums (in the UK) however I'm not sure how horrendous the postage will be :(

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:45 pm

scotty6435 wrote:Got one for sale on the forums (in the UK) however I'm not sure how horrendous the postage will be :(
Want one but I live in Canada.... :(
Any idea how much the postage would be to here?

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:34 am

I looked into this earlier for another item and for shipping (that's 4-6 weeks) it would cost something like £30! I very much doulbt it's worth it unless companies can't ship to you any cheaper. If you PM me with an address I can check it out further.

gmyx

Post by gmyx » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:55 am

slimeballzz wrote:
scotty6435 wrote:Got one for sale on the forums (in the UK) however I'm not sure how horrendous the postage will be :(
Want one but I live in Canada.... :(
Any idea how much the postage would be to here?
Same here, Is it available in canada? If not, how much to import this thing?

DGK

Post by DGK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 am

I ordered 2 silentstars for my next system, one holds two drives and the other holds 1. www.snt-systems.com has them, $130 for the dual and $99 for the single. I bought most of my wc'ing stuff from him, only bad thing is that he does not keep alot of stuff on hand and he orders from Germany about every 2 months or so.

There is a place in Germany that does ship worldwide but I am not sure of how much shipping costs are. The website is http://www.computer-4you.at/
. After you find what you want (to get to the hd coolers first click on Wasserkühlung over on the left side of the webpage then click on " HDD-Kühler" . After you find what you want click on the web link to their export site at the top: http://www.it-trade.net/ . There you will find a email link. Just shoot them a email (yup, they do speak English :) ) and tell them what you want. The guy from snt-systems actually orders from the same place, he does get a resellers discount though.

Although I know people that have ordered directly with good luck I just order through snt-systems so I dont have to worry about lost shipments, customs hassles etc. As long as you are patient I would recomment the snt site.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:07 pm

ferdb wrote:My only experience with HD blocks is with the Koolance one. The experience was bad, it killed my drive. Since then I've just payed a little attention to airflow in the case so there is sufficient cooling on the drives. They aren't hard to cool even with very quiet case setups if you make sure they get decent airflow.
I really have to agree, It is far easier to cool a hard drive with a simple, effective heatsink assembly, it doesnt have to be ugly either, but HD blocks restrict flow and dont really make a difference, nearly identical results can be acheieved by a simple passive heatsink solution with some general air movement around in the case.

DGK

Post by DGK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:58 pm

Sanatarium wrote:
ferdb wrote:My only experience with HD blocks is with the Koolance one. The experience was bad, it killed my drive. Since then I've just payed a little attention to airflow in the case so there is sufficient cooling on the drives. They aren't hard to cool even with very quiet case setups if you make sure they get decent airflow.
I really have to agree, It is far easier to cool a hard drive with a simple, effective heatsink assembly, it doesnt have to be ugly either, but HD blocks restrict flow and dont really make a difference, nearly identical results can be acheieved by a simple passive heatsink solution with some general air movement around in the case.
I agree with you, the main reason I did it was NOT to keep my drives cool but to help silence them. I keep my computer on top of my desk so I would like my hd's to be as quiet as possibe.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:11 pm

definately, not to say those silentstars arent nice, if i had the money, screw flow rates! Theyre just plain cool!