Where does one purchase propylene Glycol??

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Where does one purchase propylene Glycol??

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun May 15, 2005 12:45 pm

This stuff should be cheap but it isnt. I duno why. I see on reagent pages this particular substance all jacked up in price.

Fluid XP+ would be cheaper :(

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sun May 15, 2005 10:30 pm

According to this thread, I would stay away from Fluid XP... Maybe Ed could give you more details about that:
Edward Ng wrote:I got growths in my very first water system, which was filled with 100% Fluid XP. I don't know if that was the fault of the coolant or my fault (most likely mine), but I got growth within the first week, and it didn't seem to me that the Fluid XP was doing anything at all to prohibit it. The growth was a feathery, white looking streamy material that clung to my tube walls. Multiple hydrogen peroxide flushes of the system turned the feathery white streamy gunk into gross-as-all-hell orange particulates. My cousin, who was helping me with the flushing process, was about to puke from seeing it.

It didn't smell too great, either.
If I read carefully, Fluid XP is a patent pending mixture of propylene glycol, de-ionized water, glycerin, and some other proprietary ingredients. Artica Coolant looks very similar and costs £7.99 for 16 oz in UK. Xoxide sells Fluid XP for $42.99 USD (32 oz).

A quick search on google gave my this website where you can buy propylene glycol online: http://www.chemistrystore.com/propylene_glycol.htm
($10.00 / quart, $16.38 / gallon, $721.60 / 55 gallon Drum)

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:10 am

Uh prestone low-tox is propylene glycol... 10$ a gallon at your local auto parts store. Where are you guys looking? You dont need pure propylene glycol, do you? AF is usually around 97% glycol. Fine for us water coolers.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon May 16, 2005 5:26 pm

jamesavery22 wrote:Uh prestone low-tox is propylene glycol... 10$ a gallon at your local auto parts store. Where are you guys looking? You dont need pure propylene glycol, do you? AF is usually around 97% glycol. Fine for us water coolers.
true prop glycol you can sip a lil and be fine and dandy.

THATS non toxic. also, you can aspirate it and just get irritated, not go whacked out unconscious and lose brain functioning.

yet, i have to look for this stuff.
thanks for the tidbit.

now that i think about it, 3% is what? strichnine, cat piss and a lil fertilizer? could be anything. thats what I always wonder about. but thanks for the tip im looking into it as we speak

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon May 16, 2005 6:15 pm

I don't know anything about water cooling, and I don't know if this helps, but Kodak Photo Flo 200 concentrate solution has the following ingredients:

Water: 60-70 % (CAS# 7732-18-5)
Propylene Glycol: 25-30% (CAS# 57-55-6)
P-Tertiary-Octylphenoxy Polyethyl Alcohol: 5-10% (CAS# 9002-93-1)

Photo Flo 200 is used as the final rinse in film processing to avoid water drying marks on the film. It is used in a highly diluted solution mixed with distilled water (to make sure the film dries completely clean).

You can buy it at a local darkroom supply store or order it form on-line retailers like http://www.calumetphoto.com (they also have websites for EU).

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon May 16, 2005 8:33 pm

m0002a wrote:I don't know anything about water cooling, and I don't know if this helps, but Kodak Photo Flo 200 concentrate solution has the following ingredients:

Water: 60-70 % (CAS# 7732-18-5)
Propylene Glycol: 25-30% (CAS# 57-55-6)
P-Tertiary-Octylphenoxy Polyethyl Alcohol: 5-10% (CAS# 9002-93-1)

Photo Flo 200 is used as the final rinse in film processing to avoid water drying marks on the film. It is used in a highly diluted solution mixed with distilled water (to make sure the film dries completely clean).

You can buy it at a local darkroom supply store or order it form on-line retailers like http://www.calumetphoto.com (they also have websites for EU).
lol nice

well, hm, that last element looks a bit complicated :D

thanx though :?:

DougG

Post by DougG » Sun May 22, 2005 3:33 pm

If you mix this with de-ionized water, will it be non-conductive like Fluid XP?

Can I mix in a little fungus killer as well?

ToasterIQ2000

Post by ToasterIQ2000 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:51 pm

I bought a gallon from chemistrystore.com recently for $16.38 + $18.97 shipping = $35.35.

& yes, it will grow things: I'm giving this a try: 60% distilled water, ~ 25% isoproply alchohol ( $2.39, grocery store) and the glycol.

I was hauled to the principal's office in high scholl for throwing a snowball at the chem. teacher in class. I hope nothing bad happens...

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed May 25, 2005 10:31 pm

ToasterIQ2000 wrote:I bought a gallon from chemistrystore.com recently for $16.38 + $18.97 shipping = $35.35.

& yes, it will grow things: I'm giving this a try: 60% distilled water, ~ 25% isoproply alchohol ( $2.39, grocery store) and the glycol.

I was hauled to the principal's office in high scholl for throwing a snowball at the chem. teacher in class. I hope nothing bad happens...

Isopropyl alcohol would probably work wonders. im not sure there are many bacteria that would enjoy hotter han 39 degrees temperature, a 25% glycol base and a bit of isopropyl alcohol. if it does, it deserves to live there in harmony.

ToasterIQ2000

Post by ToasterIQ2000 » Thu May 26, 2005 10:49 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:
ToasterIQ2000 wrote: snowball ...
... if it does, it deserves to live there in harmony.
Oh..., well..., lol: if I find anything I'll be sure and send a sample to agent Scully...

Any thoughts on potential corrosion? Components: copper, anodized aluminum, some nickel plated brass fittings, perhaps some brass in what was once the air conditioning condensor out of a '78 Mercedes.

What would be the mildest on the tubing and plastics, least toxic, inexpensive, readily available, as a dedicated anti-corrosive / anti electrolosis addative?

The p. glycol is a very non-reactive substance, but it is mostly in auto antifreeze for its' anti-freezing properties, yes? Or does it also have anti-corrosive / anti-eletcolosis effects, trapping those little ions on their way from one metal to another?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri May 27, 2005 5:23 pm

I think it just doesnt rust stuff as easily.

I really have no idea how it works.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!