Running the reserator without a pump, is it possible?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ATWindsor

Running the reserator without a pump, is it possible?

Post by ATWindsor » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:39 am

In another topic here, someone mentioned that the new reserator plus is more noisy than the old one. And today I saw some linux-mag that runned a reserator without a pump, anyone who has tried this? Do you get reasonbale cooling results? Another alternative is to use an old thermaltake pump i have from the bigwater-kit, which is very quiet (at least i think it is). Or am I just beeing overly nervous here? And the pump isn't noisy enough to worry about? (the pump in the res plus).

AtW

mikellpp

Post by mikellpp » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:31 am

I have been runing my reserator with the pump for about a month and
really like it (AMD X2 3800 -dual cpu @ 2.4Ghz.)

I can't give you a link because its only in a paper-magazine article in 'Linux Journal' called "Ultimate Linux Box 2005". They use a pump-less Reserator to cool two 846HE AMD Opterons. The m/b is a Tyan Thunder K8QS Pro with 4 Opterons, so they have 2 pump-less Reserators for the 4 Opterons. They report full out load temps at just under 50C.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:26 am

I used to turn my Reserator on and off each time I'd boot and shut the machine down. I started leaving it on all the time after about the tenth time I discovered I'd been using the computer with the Reserator pump still turned off.

I never had any noticible problems with CPU overheating in all those times I ran with the pump off. As I recall the highest temperature I saw when I'd discovered my mistake was in the upper 40's. This is a Newcastle Athlon64 2800 and the CPU is the only thing in the Reserator cooling loop. But, the machine was not running SETI, folding or any other intensive task, just surfing and other misc stuff.

ATWindsor

Post by ATWindsor » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:28 am

Hmm, interesting, and if you put a bit of tubing inside the radioter, by the intake, to get the water higher up before it mies, I would guess the resulets are even better. But then again, does the new res plus produse such a high sound that this is nescessary?

AtW

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:34 am

Odd. The actual reserator unit hasn't changed at all, apart from the quick release fittings, so I can't see why its muffling properties would have changed. Equally, I can't see why Zalman would change from the Eheim Compact 300 pumps they've used in the past. Maybe there's just been a run of bad pumps - it wouldn't be the first time. You could simply buy and install a replacement pump - they're not that difficult to get hold of.

ATWindsor

Post by ATWindsor » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:57 am

Denorios wrote:Odd. The actual reserator unit hasn't changed at all, apart from the quick release fittings, so I can't see why its muffling properties would have changed. Equally, I can't see why Zalman would change from the Eheim Compact 300 pumps they've used in the past. Maybe there's just been a run of bad pumps - it wouldn't be the first time. You could simply buy and install a replacement pump - they're not that difficult to get hold of.
I honestly don't know " The Reserator 1 Plus is louder than the original, the noise from the pump is clearly audible when everything is off, but in anyway is it loud or unbearable, but not practicaly silent, like my good old Reserator 1." Taking from another thread here.

Maybe I'm just overly nervous becuase I'm getting a new comp :)

AtW

uchat

Re: Running the reserator without a pump, is it possible?

Post by uchat » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:09 pm

It was Linux Journal that ran the article. They called it Ultimate Linux BOx. The link to that article is http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8292

Basically they used 3 Reserators for 4 cpus and other things. This is what they said "The Reserator comes with a 5W pump, which would break our beautiful silence, so it was time to convert it to operate purely by convection."

The result was impressive. Below 50° C fully load. Their machine compiled a linux kernel in 50sec. My Athlon XP 2800+ would take about 20min to do the same!
ATWindsor wrote:In another topic here, someone mentioned that the new reserator plus is more noisy than the old one. And today I saw some linux-mag that runned a reserator without a pump, anyone who has tried this? Do you get reasonbale cooling results? Another alternative is to use an old thermaltake pump i have from the bigwater-kit, which is very quiet (at least i think it is). Or am I just beeing overly nervous here? And the pump isn't noisy enough to worry about? (the pump in the res plus).

AtW

zds

Post by zds » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:59 pm

When it comes to fanlessly operating Reserator, it *might* be possible, if you tailor your system to it. I once forgot to turn on my Reserator and it took some 1.5 hours of desktop use for machine to overheat - and I am running system with Radeon X800 XT and 130nm Athlon64 3500+, so it should be possible to build quite capable desktop system with power consumtion half of that.

But this is certainly something in the "kids, don't try this at home" category.

Maybe you could tap relay switch into MB fan header and start the pump when MB gives enough voltage to CPU fan header? This way you would have pump running only when need be.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:52 pm

lol! nice!

well yeah dont try that ever at home!

I duno how one would do a pure convection thing with reserator.

I never hear my pump, so, hm I duno cant say it bothers me then could I?

If the pump it ships with is louder, (which I doubt highly), then you can go to a local fish store and order up a Eheim 300. it is what the machine uses, or is supposed to use. Kinda cheap too.

Oh, by the way, one oc review type place replaced the pump with a higher output pump, and the temps remained the same.

I think this reserator is pretty much perfect as is, so long as the pump doesnt have manufacturer defects. However, Zalman has awesome customer service, they replace lots for free with just a call.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:02 pm

I think it could be done if you use a fairly low power cpu and the reserator is placed very close to the cpu so as to minimize tube lengths. Water is something like 9x as heat conductive as copper so it could be feasable to run a high power system from a reserator's cooling as long as you can get the tube lengths small enough.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:07 am

weld the res tower on to a copper heatsink

just have the massive blue stack coming out of a horizontally mounted computer.

now that would work fine, even for a gaming system.

bit hard to work with though.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:54 am

I have to disagree about the noise - I have one of each (a 1 and a 1plus) and they sound the same to me - silent - I can't tell if they are running unless I check the flow indicator.

I used all the supplied tubing, so I have a fair bit of length between the tower and the case - I would definitely not expect the water to circulate without the pump.

As long as you are careful not to place the Reserator on a reverberant surface, it's essentially noiseless. Maybe the person who reported the noise sat theirs on the wrong surface? I found you can eliminate even that vibration by sitting it on some high density foam.