Swiftech MCP350/Laing DDC, my opinion.[UPDATE with pics]

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

signal64

Post by signal64 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 am

I have a Corsair Nautilus 500 which has a Laing DDC-1TP.

It is now the loudest thing running and it's definatly the pump that's at issue.

I'd love to replace the pump with a queiter version but can't seem to find any information that relates to noise of the various Laing pump models.

As far as a new top goes, I can't due to how the external case is arranged.

You can see some pics of the inside here:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=457

Unfortunatly space constraints keep me from putting the pump/reservoir inside the case as well and hence why I went with this type of product in the first place.

Lowering the voltage to the pump seems to be about the only thing I can do but looking for advice on possible other pump options.

echn111

Post by echn111 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 am

signal64 wrote:I have a Corsair Nautilus 500 which has a Laing DDC-1TP.

It is now the loudest thing running and it's definatly the pump that's at issue.

I'd love to replace the pump with a queiter version but can't seem to find any information that relates to noise of the various Laing pump models.

As far as a new top goes, I can't due to how the external case is arranged.

You can see some pics of the inside here:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=457

Unfortunatly space constraints keep me from putting the pump/reservoir inside the case as well and hence why I went with this type of product in the first place.

Lowering the voltage to the pump seems to be about the only thing I can do but looking for advice on possible other pump options.
Unfortunately, based on my experience with a similar kit that puts the same pump very close to the reservoir (i.e. viewtopic.php?t=37359), it's more likely to be chassis noise caused by vibration.

The pump by itself, and if properly insulated in foam, may actually not be too bad. So undervolting will help a bit, but will likely not fully address root cause of the noise. In terms of noise, kits that put the pump next to the reservoir like yours (and mine) are extremely poor design and noise disasters. They just look good and appear simple to install.

As for possible solutions...

If space is an issue, you could do what I did which was to get rid of the reservoir entirely (saving space) and instead use a T-piece and fillport, while keeping the pump completely seperate from the chassis as well as wrapping it in foam. I just tossed the pump into my case and didn't even bother with a proper mounting solution (yet). It's easier than it sounds, and you may find that you save enough space to put on that plexi top.

And it will be much quieter with or without the top.

Good luck.

zds

Post by zds » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:14 pm

unimatrix0 wrote:The T-balancer will make the DDC quieter but at a cost. Undervolting the 10W DDC makes the T-balancer extremely hot, its heatsink reaches 50 degrees celcius. Undervolting the 18W is even worser.
Are you sure this happens also in the PWM mode? I've understood at least some of the T-Balancer series parts can do PWM, which should not produce that much heat. Another question is how DDC reacts to PWM, tho.