Two Radiators?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dorion

Two Radiators?

Post by dorion » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:58 am

I'm looking into making a compact water cooling set-up, its going to be completely internal. How much trouble would it cause to have two radiators in series, probably on opposite sides of the case. I'm afraid one radiator wouldn't quite cut it, especially because I want to try some mild overclocking, most especially on my videocard looking at the 7800 or 1800.
So would having two radiators in series cause any problems with my flow?

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 pm

what case do you have? IMO there is no need to go dual radiator because 1 dual-pass, dual 120mm fans radiator or a dual-pass, triple 120mm fans will be enough.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Two Radiators?

Post by pdf27 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:10 pm

dorion wrote:I'm looking into making a compact water cooling set-up, its going to be completely internal. How much trouble would it cause to have two radiators in series, probably on opposite sides of the case. I'm afraid one radiator wouldn't quite cut it, especially because I want to try some mild overclocking, most especially on my videocard looking at the 7800 or 1800.
So would having two radiators in series cause any problems with my flow?
No problems with the water side of things - you'll lose a bit of flow but provided it's a reasonably modern radiator it won't be too bad. However, it is critically important the air flow through them isn't in series. If it is, the second radiator won't do any good at all as the air from the first will already be as warm as it will ever get.

dorion

Post by dorion » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:25 am

However, it is critically important the air flow through them isn't in series. If it is, the second radiator won't do any good at all as the air from the first will already be as warm as it will ever get.
Shoot I was wondering about that. Im obsessed with the Silverstone TJ08, hmm maybe i can cut holes in the floor and mount a one large radiator blowing out...

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:55 am

dorion wrote:Shoot I was wondering about that. Im obsessed with the Silverstone TJ08, hmm maybe i can cut holes in the floor and mount a one large radiator blowing out...
You might be able to shoehorn a PA-160 into the front under the hard disk bays, particularly if you're willing to cut the cage up (if you're going for silence it isn't like you'll want to hard mount drives in them after all). I'd guess that's probably the biggest radiator you can fit in there without crippling your other options.
I've got a TJ-06 myself, and that's pretty much crammed full with my WCing stuff...

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:29 am

It looks like you could mount two 120mm rads in the TJ08, one in the back and one in the front, both blowing out and the side working as an intake..

Edit: krapp, that´s what pdf27 suggested. I thought he meant putting a dual 80mm rad on the bottom. I missed the word `front´ and thought the PA160 was a dual 80mm rad, apparently it´s a 120mm. Stupid name.. :lol:

Looking at this picture it looks like there is plenty of room above the fan, but the space under the fan isn´t very large.. The space above looks like the height of about three PCI covers, dont have anything to measure with but it should be at least 5cm.

If you dont mind cutting up the side of the case you might be able to put a rad on the side too, with a black case a rad in the side would blend in pretty nicely. Or you might be able to put one in the roof. Or in the front bottom as already suggested.. Looks like plenty of options to me :)

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:33 pm

nici wrote:Edit: krapp, that´s what pdf27 suggested. I thought he meant putting a dual 80mm rad on the bottom. I missed the word `front´ and thought the PA160 was a dual 80mm rad, apparently it´s a 120mm. Stupid name.. :lol:
Nope, the PA160 is a 160x210mm radiator sized to take 1x120mm fan. IMHO it's the best radiator out there for silent watercooling, and I think you can probably shoehorn one in there (it'll be tight though). Mine is fitted into the space under the 3.25" floppy bays in a TJ-06 and I'd guess there's maybe 40mm to spare. That distance is the height of the motherboard minus a pair of 3.25" bays, while the space in the front of a TJ-08 looks to me to be a motherboard minus 3 x 3.25" bays and a little bit of extra.

Linky: http://www.thermochill.com/pa160.php

It's quite a big beastie - see photo of my system below - but it's probably the biggest you can shoehorn into that case. Just note that watercooling takes up a LOT of room in a case, so things like tubing runs and pump placement should be given a fair bit of thought. It's also a single pass radiator (water goes in one end and out the other - good for low flow resistance) so you need to remember to have the water going from bottom to top to stop air from getting trapped.

If you're dumping a lot of heat into the water system (overclocking it lots or something like that) you may also want to duct the air from the radiator out of the side vent to stop the PSU ramping up. Alternatively you could duct air from the rear fan to the PSU, but in either case it'll make the case even more cramped.

Edited to insert llink for photo - I was copying from a post I made on another forum not a direct upload, hence I just used "copy image address" in Opera and forgot it was linked to a larger photo.
Last edited by pdf27 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:08 pm

You need to take `.th´ out of the url if you want o show the whole picture.. :wink: Or just copy the Thumbnail for forum url thats next to the picture.
Im a sneaky bastard, planting links to my gallery thread where people might accidentally click them. Lots of correctly linked imageshack pictures there

Yeah that thermochill page is what ccame up when i searched PA160, IIRC i thought it was a 120mm rad with a 80mm fan wich sounded pretty stupid to be honest... :roll:

But it does look pretty nice if you want internal rads that are not visible to the outside.. And doing some rough calculations that thing actually has a noticeably larger surface area than a dual 120 rad :shock: It obviously depends on fin density and radiator thickness also, but it does look very good :)

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:36 pm

Here´s a thread wich might give an idea if the PA160 fits. http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=12424