1/2" Fittings... which type are best?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

virtualrain

1/2" Fittings... which type are best?

Post by virtualrain » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi,

I'm going with 1/2" fittings on my rig but 7/16" tubing.

In general, are push on fittings better (I'm sure that's not an option in my case with odd size tubing), barbs (like on the swifttech blocks), or something else?

What about clamps. I would rather be safe than sorry even though the 7/16" over 1/2" is tight... What clamps are easiest to work with, attractive, and do a good job?

Finally, what about elbows? Do they really restrict flow? I may need a couple due to the way I'm mounting my rads.

I need the following:
- 1/2" ID fittings for the DDC Ultra pump with G1/4 taps
- 1/2" ID fittings for my Black Ice GT rads with G1/4 taps... I might need an elbow or two here instead of straight fittings depending on my mounting situation.
- Some kind of T to mount a thermal probe in the water line... ideally a G1/4 tapped T so I can use the same fittings on it as well as a thermal probe with G1/4 male threads.
- I'm also using the Innovatek flow meter which has G1/4 male threads so I need a F G1/4 to 1/2" ID fitting

I'll be using Swifttech water blocks so black PVC type barbs like what they use might be the best for consistency.

Any thoughts from the experienced peeps in the crowd would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks!

ZeroR3D

Post by ZeroR3D » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:47 pm

Barbs are best, push fitting restrict flow and/or create unnecessary turbulence. Some folks over at XS are running clampless on their 7/16 systems, I'm personally just using zip-ties for the moment. The stretch over 1/2" barbs is pretty damned tight.

Shielded worm drive-hose clamps seem to be the favourites right now, but on 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs, you can safely get away with regular plastic snap-on clamps. Those are the easiest to work with, look reasonably attractive (not as much as the Pithon screw ons though) and do a pretty good job.

And elbows definitely restrict flow. Use the least amount of 90 degree bends in your loop.

Some of the best G1/4 fittings are from http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/

They're euro and overseas shipping is a somewhat expensive affair though.

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:15 am

ZeroR3D wrote:They're euro and overseas shipping is a somewhat expensive affair though.
Actually, I just ordered two barbs from them and the shipping only cost about $7 which isn't too much, at least to me.

Also, in the bottom right of the web page they have a currency choice of Euros, Dollars and something else. Once you change it, it switches the costs to your local currency. :)

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:44 am

I run semi-clamped with 7/16" on 1/2" barbs. I put a few clamps on, but those I left bare are more than tight enough to hold. Been running for a couple of months now with no leaks.

Elbows definitely restrict flow, see if you can use 45 degree elbows or something (if available) as the smaller the angle the better flow.