Evercool WC-301VGA for VGA = LOUD

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sherbet012

Evercool WC-301VGA for VGA = LOUD

Post by sherbet012 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi.
I'm back.

I've decided to go on watercooling, but since so many different recommendations, I just couldn't decide which way to go - between Reserator vs custom-built.

So I've decided to try the other method that'll only break me about $40~$50, gaining knowledge about wc installations and such. I saw great reviews from customers, so I decided to try Evercool WC-301VGA.

Man! WC really DOES COOL my GeForce 6800! But, this thing is LOUD.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6835119014

I even turned off the fan, but I think the noise is from either pump or rad. Every other review says it's pretty quiet but I say it's very far from quiet.

Did I do something wrong? How do I check the unit and see if the noise is my fault, not manufactures? I love how WC lowers the temperature but I am seriously thinking of throw this unit away.

Any suggestions?

zds

Re: Evercool WC-301VGA for VGA = LOUD

Post by zds » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:09 am

sherbet012 wrote:I even turned off the fan, but I think the noise is from either pump or rad. Every other review says it's pretty quiet but I say it's very far from quiet.

Did I do something wrong?
Some things to check:

-make sure there is no air in the system; you might need to shake, tilt etc the components to get rid of all the miniscular air bubbles.
-check that you are not letting vibration from the pump transfer to other components. Ie. have pump elastic-mounted to chassis and use only very soft tubing to connect it to the rest of the system

And remember, other HW sites opinions about acoustics are often a bit skewed or misled.

sherbet012

Post by sherbet012 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:13 pm

great! thanks!
I tried to get rid of any air bubbles by bending the tube for a bit, then refill the water bit more. I think it might have helped, but I still hear the constant, loud noise.. like a fridge..

BTW, does air bubble makes a lot of noise? If so, how? :?

zds

Post by zds » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:22 pm

sherbet012 wrote:BTW, does air bubble makes a lot of noise? If so, how? :?
I do not know why, but yes, water flowing in tubing without unnecessarily tight bends should cause only a very quiet "woosh" sound; something you do not hear without putting your ear very close to the tubing. And then, water and air flowing together cause a lot more noise, I guess mostly due to them having different pressure and viscosity. The difference between water flow without air bubbles and one with them is easily some 15-20dB.

Can you test the pump separately? Ie. just running water through closed loop without radiator or water blocks? That way you should be able to determine how much the pump contributes to overall noise level.

And while you are at it, try running the pump both on some hard and some very soft surface to get some idea about how much of the noise comes from vibration and how much is airborne.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:24 pm

sherbet012 wrote:BTW, does air bubble makes a lot of noise? If so, how? :?
When they get sucked into the pump, they get hit by the impeller as it spins around. Sounds a bit like gravel going through the pump.

If it's constant loud noise like a fridge it's probably the water pump. Try isolating it from the case somehow (stand on a bit of sponge, hold it up, something like that) and see if that cuts the noise significantly.