Project Waku - Stacker 830, Dual DDC's, Dual GT's...

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

virtualrain

Project Waku - Stacker 830, Dual DDC's, Dual GT's...

Post by virtualrain » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 pm

Hi, I've been working on a water cooled rig for the last couple of months with one of my priorities to improve silence (although that's not the only reason). I thought I would share my experience in the form of a blog....

The blog can be found here... http://virtualrain.blogspot.com/

My project is actually well ahead of the blog so I hope to get the blog caught up over the next week or two. I'll update this thread as the blog is updated.

The jist of the project is to do something a bit different by using a Stacker 830 to mount a pair of DDC pumps, a pair of GT rads (on the fan side panel), four 140mm Yate Loon's and a selection of Swiftech water blocks and even a watercooled PSU...

I'm also implementing full control over the system (fans and pumps) using a variety of electronics based largely around the Aquaero (http://www.aqua-computer.de/e_index.htm) that I will be integrating with a skinned Samurize console.

It's a fun project! 8)

Again... see the blog for full details... http://virtualrain.blogspot.com/

Comments are welcome! :D

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:07 am

A couple of questions/comments. Given that the DDC Plus consumes 18w, I'm wondering, how many watts can each fan channel of the Aquaero handle?

Have you heard/considered mcubed's bigNG?

Also if you are aiming for silence, you might need to change that 18w to a 10w DDC, unless you do some miracle isolating work :)

I saw the testing you did on the DDC's flow and it's very nice to see the restrictiveness of the different components. Nice work.

virtualrain

Post by virtualrain » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:13 pm

unimatrix0 wrote:A couple of questions/comments. Given that the DDC Plus consumes 18w, I'm wondering, how many watts can each fan channel of the Aquaero handle?

Have you heard/considered mcubed's bigNG?

Also if you are aiming for silence, you might need to change that 18w to a 10w DDC, unless you do some miracle isolating work :)

I saw the testing you did on the DDC's flow and it's very nice to see the restrictiveness of the different components. Nice work.
Hi there... I definitely looked at the bigNG as a monitoring/control solution. It is a great piece of gear but more expensive for the full kit with the analog module etc.

I'm actually using a fellow poster's home-made product to control the pumps via one of the Aquaero's fan channels...
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 197#269197

This should allow me to keep the system very quiet during normal office work while cranking it up for gaming.

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:02 am

Looks like this would make a perfect match to your aero:

:)

virtualrain

Post by virtualrain » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:41 am

That's sweet alright... what model is that?

I'm actually going with all black (purchased a black face plate replacement for the Aquaero).

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:00 am

virtualrain wrote:That's sweet alright... what model is that?

I'm actually going with all black (purchased a black face plate replacement for the Aquaero).
It's the Pioneer DVR-A09XLC, there is also a DVR-A09XLA and they come in black :) Bad thing is that they are kinda expensive.

virtualrain

Post by virtualrain » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:31 am

unimatrix0 wrote:
virtualrain wrote:That's sweet alright... what model is that?

It's the Pioneer DVR-A09XLC, there is also a DVR-A09XLA and they come in black :) Bad thing is that they are kinda expensive.
Unfortunately, they don't appear to be available anymore... even ebay has nothing. If you know of anywhere I might find one in Black, I'll take it!

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:41 am

Lian-Li drive covers? My Silverstone took them after 5 minutes effort with a pair of pliers, so they're relatively flexible in what you can fit them to.