Enclosed pump/heat issue?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tenoq

Enclosed pump/heat issue?

Post by Tenoq » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:33 pm

Hey guys.

I've got an MCP350 (DDC) that's making a hell of a racket at the moment. The noise I can best describe as a 'motor whine', because my mounting setup has more or less eliminated vibration in the system.

Firstly - is this kind of noise normal with the DDC? I hear some are better than others... I might have a dud. :(

Secondly - is it safe to fully enclose the pump? Or will it overheat? I imagine the water will take a fair bit of heat from the pump, yet I'm concerned it could still reach dangerous operating temps if it's got no airflow at all. What sort of solutions are viable?

unimatrix0

Post by unimatrix0 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 am

Which version is it? 10w or 18w?

Also, be extremely catious on what the DDC makes contact with. You may think vibration completely dampened but any slight bad contact with the case, whether through tubing or mounting screws can amplify motor hum like crazy. What I'd do is unmount it as place it elsewhere to test it. It could be that, or you could have a noisier DDC. Also, do you have the plexi-top?

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 pm

It's the 10W, AFAIK - although I've also read that some people with the MCP350 somehow got a mislabeled 18W. I'll have to check it tonight.

I've thought about it, and the piping does touch the case in one section, somewhat unavoidably. It's difficult to picture, but the case is a server case, and the pump and rad are in one side, and the mobo and bits in the other side. I'll try to get some pics up so you can see what I mean.

I don't have the plexi top. Bit $$$ over in Aus, if I can get them at all. Would probably need to order from Europe, and get reamed on shipping charges in the process. :/