Shuttle SN45Gv2 advice needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scotty6435

Shuttle SN45Gv2 advice needed

Post by scotty6435 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:02 pm

Hello lovely modders,

I've just got my grubbly little hands on one of these shuttles and I need some guidance on what to equip it with. I'm going to be using it primarily for HTPC use and some gaming (Up to HL2 and CS:S levels).

I'm torn between the 3.2GHz and 2.8GHz athlon XPs but there's also the semprons. I could use PC3200 RAM on the 3.2 but it costs more. Which do you recommend?

Will buy 1GB of dual channel DDR in two sticks but shall I go for value RAM or some good stuff? Might try a little overclocking but nothing drastic due to space and heat constraints. The 3200 geil value RAM has previously had good results in this shuttle. Any good?

The MAJOR problem is the graphics card and TV tuner. I'd really like to have a dual tuner PVR sytem (one will have to be on graphics card) but I've heard that it's hard to get them to play ball. Any suggestions on a nice combination?

Also looking at a spinpoint HDD. The 160GB is pretty cheap and as I will be using a fileserver, space isn't really an issue. Is there any way to make sure I get a good motor in the drive? Anyone know a good supplier?

Sorry for the long post but I've got an empty shuttle on my desk and a credit card burning a whole in my pocket :D All suggestions welcome!

greeef

Post by greeef » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:44 pm

Go for a mobile 2500+. They're available from cpucitystore.co.uk
That'll give you high clock and low clock options, and is only £60.

That geil ram is good, if not corsair and kingston value are both supposed to have quite quick timings.

I believe a 9600 AIW card has everything you need, though i'm not positive.

Finally, overclockers.co.uk are supposed to be friendly about choosing hard drive motors for you. Just ask them.

griff

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Shuttle SN45Gv2 advice needed

Post by sthayashi » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:59 pm

scotty6435 wrote:The MAJOR problem is the graphics card and TV tuner. I'd really like to have a dual tuner PVR sytem (one will have to be on graphics card) but I've heard that it's hard to get them to play ball. Any suggestions on a nice combination?
How about onboard video and one of these babies?

BTW, depending on your distance from your computer, I wouldn't worry too much about the Spinpoint motor. You'll have enough fun as is with the modding and suspending without having to worry about the motor (i.e. I suspect the whine of a JVC motor will be the least of your concerns).

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:05 am

Thanks for the input guys, really good stuff. I probably will go for a mobile XP so it can ramp down speed and temps when just watching telly etc. Sthyachi, AT LAST A DUAL TUNER BOARD!!!!!!1111 :D :D

I've been looking for these for years...let's hope they're available in the UK :D

No onboard grahpics on the SN45Gv2 unfortunately but I'll use my ancient 8200LE until I get the cash for a 9800 or something. The geil RAM is real good for clocking on this setup but it's PC3200. What do you recommend for the mobile's 266 FSB?
Overclockers.co.uk is my new favourate store, they've got some good stuff there at good prices. Just got my panaflo 120x38mm in which I will be modding on the back to keep it chilly and quiet 8)

Thanks again,

Scotty

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:17 am

The mobile will easily run with a fsb of 400 even though it's stats say 266.

bomba

Re: Shuttle SN45Gv2 advice needed

Post by bomba » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:09 am

sthayashi wrote:BTW, depending on your distance from your computer, I wouldn't worry too much about the Spinpoint motor. You'll have enough fun as is with the modding and suspending without having to worry about the motor (i.e. I suspect the whine of a JVC motor will be the least of your concerns).
I interpret this response to diplomatically say the Shuttle will be a challange to quiet. From my limited experience, the stock NForce2 SFF Shuttle is too loud to be used as a HTPC, even w/ an undervolted XP2500+ and all BIOS fan settings optimized for quiet. If you proceed, be prepared to do some airflow and hardware fan-speed mods. There are some posts specifically discussing quieting the Nforce2 Shuttle if you dare to travel this path!

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:52 pm

I intend to mod a 120x38mm ducted fan (prob panaflo if the one I got pushes enough air at low RPMs) to the back (modding and sealing the ICE system for optimal airflow). silicone gasketing all fans/drives, suspending the HDD and maybe making some more airholes for GFX card. Also, I'll dampen the PSU and possibly mod the PSU itself to make it quieter (waiting for Zalman passive PSU before I try that). Of course, grill removal has already happened :D My first non-plug and play mod EVER and it turned out damn well :P

If I have the courage I will try to watercool it some time later if I'm confident that it will be worth the effort dB wise.

Other additions like possible DC-DC board instead of the PSU are on the horizon if I can find powerful enough hardware, however it is more likely that more advanced mods will be used in furure projects.