silent 939 mobos - nForce4 fans

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

godot

silent 939 mobos - nForce4 fans

Post by godot » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:25 pm

I am trying to rig up a silent system.
- amd64 winchester 3200
- a not too expensive passive PCIe graphics card (maybe GigaByte GV-RX70P128D, Radeon X700 Pro) (Maybe in some years I will switch to a better one, which actually NEEDS PCIe..)
- no case fans, instead a powerful thermalright xp120 or xp90 which sucks in cool air (the casing gets a big hole above the cpu cooler)
- a silent but windy power supply which blows the hot air out again (I hope this works well enough)
- one IDE HD (Samsug SP1614N) (Maybe in some years, when people will use optical drives or whatever. I will change it to a SATA high speed thing...)

What I need now is a good mobo to put everything together. I waited for the nforce4 ultra, but unfortunatly, as you may have noticed, all boards have this ugly onboard fans. 150 Euros for silent power and cpu cooling - all this to hear a nforce fan screaming at the end? Certainly not.
Yes, maybe someone can exchange the fans with heatsinks. But it seems nowbody has done it yet - or still has a working PC to report his experiments ;-) And I haven't found any decibel or Sone tests of the new mobos anywhere. Most Silent-PC sites still test with 754 sockets anyway. So any recomendations? Should I take a k8T890 board?

I do NOT need SLI, wireless LAN and overclocking tools.
I want onboard LAN, good onboard sound, PCie, SATA, USB2, FireWire.
I want it stable.
And I want it now! :-)

Thanks for any advice!
Godot

ChrisH
Friend of SPCR

Post by ChrisH » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:29 pm

The Chaintech Nforce 4 Ultra motherboard doesn't have a fan. If you're in the US, you can buy it at newegg.

godot

Post by godot » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:33 pm

ChrisH wrote:The Chaintech Nforce 4 Ultra motherboard doesn't have a fan. If you're in the US, you can buy it at newegg.
You are right! The VNF4 cools it passively! Here are two pictures. (the second one is called VNF4/Ultra ZENITH VE and shows quite a different layout. Look at the ram...)
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/andreas/News/NF4Launch06.jpg
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/images/P ... ltra_L.jpg

Unfortunatly they missed to include firewire. Up to 10 USB connectors, but no fw. How could they! Yes, USB2 is fast, but video capturing is still done (only*) by fw!

But thank's for the tip. Passively cooled nforce4 is comming - to the US at least.
Maybe I will take the old ASUS A8V Deluxe like NamJangNamJa...

ChrisH
Friend of SPCR

Post by ChrisH » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:08 am

I've never done this before, but here goes.

Welcome to SPCR!

It has to be big and blue. Those are the rules. I think I did it correctly.

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:32 am

D'oh! I was seriously considering buying Chaintech VNF4 Ultra, and they don't have 1394/Firewire?!?!! Hrmm...

NeilBlanchard

...but it does have nVidia *sound*

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:53 am

Hello:
NamJangNamJa wrote:D'oh! I was seriously considering buying Chaintech VNF4 Ultra, and they don't have 1394/Firewire?!?!! Hrmm...
No, it doesn't -- but it does have nVidia 7.1 sound! Actually my biggest nit pick is the location of the power plugs! :? So, yes you would probably have to buy a PCI card and actually use *one* of 'em...

BTW, what are the two really short (PCI-E?) slots for? And to confirm what I think I have gleaned about PCI-E: is the top-most long slot used for the (main) video?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:00 am

The long PCI-Express slot is for 16X PCI-Ex cards, right now the only ones are graphics cards. The short ones are 1X for PCI-Express sound cards, drive controllers etc.

-Ed