Looking for a new sound card.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

greeef

Looking for a new sound card.

Post by greeef » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:49 am

I've been doing some work for a feller i know, he said he'd buy me a soundcard for it!

Probably looking around the £50 range.

I'm not looking for an extensive in/out patch bay, if anything i'll make one myself. All i want is high sound quality on the input and output, and low latency.

I havent bought a soundacrd since my soundblaster 16 so i'm a little bit out of the loop... Am i even going to get a decent recording with this kind of budget?

griff

greeef

Post by greeef » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:21 am

I've been pointed toward this:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/2062

looks very good for the price!

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:43 am

At last count, I've heard approximately 4 million good things about the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and its sister product, the Revolution 7.1. :) If I was going to get a new soundcard, I would choose one of those two without hesitation--probably the Revolution, because I want mini-jack outputs. The only real downside is that the card has poor 3D audio acceleration for games, and I'm not sure about its support for older Windows OS's (98, Me) or Linux. I'd assume it has low-latency driver support, but that is something to double-check.

greeef

Post by greeef » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:47 am

Excellent, looks like this is the card for me.

i'll be using phono outs most likely. I also have a stereo system, so game's shouldnt be an issue should they?

Sure they'll load the system down less than my nf7s crappy onboard sound.

I'll be baggin this

griff

thegrommit

Post by thegrommit » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:55 pm

greeef wrote:Excellent, looks like this is the card for me.

i'll be using phono outs most likely. I also have a stereo system, so game's shouldnt be an issue should they?
The specific problem is lack of hardware acceleration for EAX (and Direct3Dsound). Whether that's an issue depends on how much you like reverb in games.

BTW, if you're using a receiver, try using your S/PDIF output on the motherboard to see if the quality is any better (it should be).