First System Build - passive cooling, etc

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spikeIt

First System Build - passive cooling, etc

Post by spikeIt » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello. I've been a lurker here for a while now and have really learned a lot from this web site. I'm attempting to build my first PC having bought Dells for my last two, my latest being about 4.5 years old at this point.

Anyhow, I'm basically looking for a high powered setup that will allow for some upgrades over the next few years so I don't need to replace the system for a while. And I'd like my system to be relatively quiet. Being a first time building, I'm not really interested in case mods and the like, and overclocking is definitely not in my mindset currently. With that in mind, I'm thinking about a PCIe system for some future proofing. And I'm looking at AMD 64 socket 939.

Here are the main specs I am considering:

Case: Antec SLK3000b
MB: Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra SLI - passively cooled
CPU: AMD 64 3500 90nm Winchester
Video Card: Gigabyte 6600GT Turbo Force PCIe - passively cooled
Memory: 2x512MB PC3200 Value RAM
HD: Samsung SATA drive 160 Gig
PS: Seasonic Super Tornado 400W
CPU Cooler: Zalman 7000/7700 or SP-120/90
Optical: NEC 3520A
Front Panel Plate to bring firewire to front of case

I may alternatively consider the Soltek K890Pro-939, which I just stumbled upon today as another PCIe passively cooled board. I don't really require SLI and I'm unsure of the benefits of nforce4 vs via. Also I haven't really seen any reviews of this gigabyte board despite its availability. The price difference is fairly significant as well.

Questions:
1) With a passively cooled board and video card, is there increased importance to install a front case fan? There is already a rear 120mm included with the case and the PSU has one as well.
2) Is there a benefit to using nforce4 vs via?
3) Any other suggestions for this setup?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:04 pm

let me be the first to say:

WELCOME TO SPCR!

As for your questions.
1: You should be just fine with the exhaust on your PSU, through testing you may be more comfortable with adding a fan behind the CPU, and of course cutting out the grill back there too.
2: This argument could last ages, in my opinion it is like intel vs amd , chevy vs ford. The both have their pros and cons. My preference would be for the Nforce setup.
3: Looks like a good setup, if you had the extra cash I would suggest getting some high quality Corsair, Mushkin, or what ever your poison may be of ram.

chucuSCAD

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:48 am

If it were me, as indeed it was when I built my own SLK3000B system, I'd use a silent 120mm fan at the front and rear. Gets some airflow there but without any noise so it seems daft not to really (other than for reasons of expense). More particularly so if you're using passively-cooled components.

As for cutting out the rear grill, one of the features of the 3000B is that it actually has a relatively good rear grill.

About the DVD RW drive, from what I've read, the LG 4163B is a lot quieter than the NEC, although I can't comment personally as my LG seems to have been lost in the post - grrrrrr!

spikeIt

Post by spikeIt » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:05 am

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm leaning toward the Gigabyte board, mainly because of the built in firewall and dual bio the gigabyte board has. Beyond that, I can't really see much difference between the two chipsets/boards.

I think I'm going to feel more comfortable adding that front fan. I'll just have to fanmate or such to low. I have to figure out the details of what I need for that and where to get it.

I agree with CAMS. One of the reasons I was looking at the SLK was that I didn't need to cut out the rear grill. Anyhow, I probably won't do any case hacking unless my computer starts to run too hot.

One last think. I stumbled upon another video card - the gigabyte x800 turbo charged w/ 256 mb memory. Worth the $45 (20%) to upgrade to this card?

Thanks again.