ATI Silencer troubles in a Silentium case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

twinturbo11

ATI Silencer troubles in a Silentium case

Post by twinturbo11 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:23 pm

hey guys,

ok I just finished building my system:

- AC Silentium T2
- AC Freezer 64 (for CPU)
- AC ATI Silencer rev 2 (for video card)
- two zalman fanmate2 controllers
- AMD 3800
- ATI X800 XL PCI-e
- Asus A8N-SLI deluxe
- 1 gig corsair
- 74 GB sata 10,000 RAPTOR western digital drive

As soon as I turned on the computer, huge noise - i was shocked. I open up the computer, and the asus's chipset on the motherboard was extremely loud, spinning at 9,000 RPM! crazy. I immediately put a fanmate on it, and spin it down to 4,000 rpm which made it completely noiseless. Then I put a fanmate on the AC freezer 64 cpu fan and tuned it down from an audible (but not that annoying) 2,000 rpm to 1,300 rpm, at which point it became completely noiseless.

The computer is now very quiet and I really cannot not hear the exhaust fans or the PSU like some other silentium users complained. But what I could hear and actually really surprisingly loud was the AC ATI silencer 5 ! When I unplugged the fan, most of the noise from my pc really went away... Is it normal that ATI silencer fans are considerably loud? I thought it was pretty good product... on AC's website, it says they spin at 2000 rpm and are 0.5 sones , which is supposed to be almost noiseless.... any ideas out there? also, the fanmates couldnt connect to the silencer - do you know what fan controllers would?
Last edited by twinturbo11 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:45 am

Careful with that chipset fan, it spins that fast for a reason - the heatsink is really tiny, and does need a healthy amount of airflow to keep the chipset cool. Check this thread for possible mods.

dexton

Post by dexton » Sun May 29, 2005 1:32 am

Gholam wrote:Careful with that chipset fan, it spins that fast for a reason - the heatsink is really tiny, and does need a healthy amount of airflow to keep the chipset cool. Check this thread for possible mods.
On many mobos, the fan on the NB heatsink can be disconnected. A friend had an Epox mobo (nForce3 S754) and it didnt even become hot when running CPU Burn or gaming.

BenW

Post by BenW » Sun May 29, 2005 3:02 am

Best bet would be to remove heatsink + fan combo and stick on a large heatsink (Zalman sell one)

Also, i find my ATI1 cooler quite noisy as well. I think its strange because most people say they're quite quiet :?

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Sun May 29, 2005 4:18 am

dexton wrote:
Gholam wrote:Careful with that chipset fan, it spins that fast for a reason - the heatsink is really tiny, and does need a healthy amount of airflow to keep the chipset cool. Check this thread for possible mods.
On many mobos, the fan on the NB heatsink can be disconnected. A friend had an Epox mobo (nForce3 S754) and it didnt even become hot when running CPU Burn or gaming.
This is a big no no with nForce 4 chipsets. The nForce 3 was a relatively cool chipset compared to the nForce 4.