Couldn't find a recommended case, need advice!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kolath

Couldn't find a recommended case, need advice!

Post by Kolath » Sat May 14, 2005 1:03 pm

*I posted this in the case forum too, because I wasn't sure which place it belongs.*

I just discovered SPCR last week while trying to research compenents for a new computer I'm building. I think I've finally nailed down most of the components, but I am at a loss for a case. I checked out several of the Antec cases at my local Microcenter, and I just didn't like the look/feel of them. And all the coolermaster mid-tower ATX cases all looked like they would heavily impede airflow.

I came across the review of the Fong Kai FK330 mid tower case and it looked fantastic. But it appears that these cases are no where to be found! I really liked the open front grill and the tool-less design.

If anyone knows where to find those or has a suggestion of another case that can be had preferable for <$100, I would really appreciate it!

The rest of my planned rig would be: I plan on overclocking this but would like it to be somewhat quiet. Any recommendations on a good case and/or other copmenents would be greatly appreciated!

rtsai

Re: Couldn't find a recommended case, need advice!

Post by rtsai » Sat May 14, 2005 1:24 pm

SPCR Recommended Cases. The "Recommended" link is on the left side of the home page.

Many of those cases are less than $100.

Kolath

Post by Kolath » Sat May 14, 2005 1:27 pm

Yeah that's where I was looking and found FK case. But the only cases I can find for sale that are on the recommended list are the Antec ones and I don't really like the look of them. Are CoolerMaster cases any good? I looked at a few but I don't see how they would allow any airflow.

BenW

Post by BenW » Sun May 15, 2005 12:02 am

What you need to look for is cases with 120mm fans, 1 front and 1 rear. I know the coolermaster wavemaster only has 80mm fans so don't concider that.

I got a Silverstone TJ-04 the other day, fantastic case so take a little look at it

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Sun May 15, 2005 2:52 am

If it’s good airflow, over-clock ability and reasonable quietness you need, then check out the "Cooler Master Centurion 5". I was in the market for a new case and opted for the Antec Sonata, but after seeing the Centurion (silver one) in real life and re-reading the SPC review, I just had to get one. After some time, money and effort spent, modding and replacing active with passive cooling, I now have one of the most quiet PC’s I’ve ever owned.

Kolath

Post by Kolath » Sun May 15, 2005 8:35 am

How quiet was the Centurion 5 out of the box with active cooling? With my overclock I'm going to have to use active cooling.

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Sun May 15, 2005 10:04 am

"Out of the box", it was reasonably quiet once I replaced the CM 80mm fan with the SPCR recommended Panaflo at 5v. I got the one without the PSU, so to use my Zalman ZM300B. This was before I spend $$$ on passive cooling. I still have the CM 120mm and the 80mm Panaflow connected for when I feel the need for some serious Sunday afternoon fragging. So when over clocking I do still need to switch on the fans. Over all this case allows for great airflow and keep components cool and quiet.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun May 15, 2005 7:41 pm

i duno why such a huge psu. read about psu's on here. your system calls for bare minimal psu requirements.

If I was you id try to UNDERVOLT and overclock that core. (really, there could be no realistic reason to OC that rig, but i guess you want to.) And so, dfi is a good board to do so on, or at least I am told so by users on here.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Sun May 15, 2005 9:21 pm

Kolath wrote:How quiet was the Centurion 5 out of the box with active cooling? With my overclock I'm going to have to use active cooling.
Why dont you try reading the review? Rusty bothered to write 6 pages on it. http://silentpcreview.com/article200-page1.html

gsattler

Dynapower F3323 looks similar to the FK330

Post by gsattler » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:50 am

Check out the Dynapower F3323, it looks like a spitting image of the Fong Kai FK330.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/sh ... i=2525&p=5

You can get the Dynapower for less than $90 shipped, I wish my FK330 had been that cheap!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811138063

stupid

Post by stupid » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:52 pm

I recently ordered the COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1 because I was looking for a case with plenty of airflow and this case does seem to have it because the front is basically a mesh. Each of the exposed drive bay has a mesh exterior with a removable/washable dust filter. It has a front 120mm fan at the bottom that glows blue. Most importantly the controls/USB ports/Firewire ports are on top within easy reach.

There is a duct for the CPU which you can replace with a fan if you want but that adds noise. There are three interior drive bays directly behind the front fan that should keep your hard drives cool. It is also a tool-less design so no need to look for a screwdriver.

Click

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:58 pm

I wouldn't say that it just looks like the 330..it is the 330, or at least a slightly updated version of it.

Dynapower is either buying them from Fki (Fki is mostly an OEM manu, and really doesn't do retail), or Dynapower actually is Fki. They may be different sides of the same company: Fki is the OEM, Dynapower is the retail. Wouldn't be an usually arrangement for a chassis company. I don't think it's a copy-cat or a knock-off, it's the same case in every detail.

Either way, I say buy it! :lol: