Help for a newbie with vibration noises galore!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zaribars

Help for a newbie with vibration noises galore!

Post by zaribars » Sun May 15, 2005 6:59 am

I just recently built my new pc after having read alot of posts and replies on this forum. I would like to thank all of you for being such a great help so far. So far, this is my setup.

Antec 3700AMB
OCZ ModStream 450 Watt Modular Power Supply - OCZ45012U
Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 (nForce 4 Ultra with no Northbrige fan)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Winchester)
Zalman 7000B-Cu CPU HSF @ 18dB/1350RPM
Silverstone SST-FMC3XW 120mm rear exhaust @ 17dB/1300RPM
Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP (Fanless 6600 GT)
NVTV PCI TV Tuner
Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PT (1GB Dual Channel)
LITEON DVD-RW 16X DVD-RW
Maxtor 6Y200P0 200GB ATA/133
Western Digital WD2000JD 200GB SATA

Here are 2 pictures of my setup.

I am very please with my new box. After having gone through 4 different setups in the past 3 months, I think I finally found the one for me. My only peave thus far has been a vibration swimming throughout the entire case. I have isolated the "noise" to the hard drives. If I have only one drive connected with the other unplugged, the vibration goes away, regardless of which one is off or on. The noise only rears it ugly head when I have both drives on. It's a gentle hum that fluctuates high and low over and over again. It ends up sounding like a car engine in your head after a while because of how annoying it is. I've seen all of the threads here regarding suspensions, sandwiching and case foaming. I don't know which to try. Is there anything easier for me to do? I do need both drives. The ATA Maxtor holds Windows XP Media Center Edition and the SATA drives stores all of the recorded shows/movies. I would really appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions on this. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by zaribars on Sun May 15, 2005 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Sun May 15, 2005 7:12 am

Um, i don't mean to be anal or anything, but a 3700AMB is not a Sonata, they're two different series of case. In the Sonata, the hard drive mounting drawers are oriented sideways...
just so u know! :)

You might want to look into suspending your hard drives, i believe there is an extensive thread dealing with this, in the storage section maybe?

Otherwise, looks really nice... I don't feel qualified to comment any further, I'm still saving up to be able to carry out my diabolical plans! :twisted:

scara

Re: Help for a newbie with vibration noises galore!

Post by scara » Sun May 15, 2005 9:06 am

zaribars wrote:I've seen all of the threads here regarding suspensions, sandwiching and case foaming. I don't know which to try. Is there anything easier for me to do?
The easiest thing you could do is place an entire drive cage on foam on the floor of the case. Use a small spare cage if you have one or else cut the one thats in there now.
This is the method i'm currently trying and its proved to be the quietest and best-cooling.

nici

Post by nici » Sun May 15, 2005 10:30 am

IIRC the drive cage in these antecs is just small enough so it can be mounted sideways, i have my drive-cage somewhere so i cant check but it pretty easy to check if you have the drive-cage :wink: Put it lying on some foam or hanging in some "stretch-magic", wahtever that is but it seems to be commonly recommended

Very clean setup by the way! :D

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun May 15, 2005 10:50 am

zaribars,

Welcome to SPCR !!. 8)

zaribars

Post by zaribars » Sun May 15, 2005 11:33 am

Mockery wrote:Um, i don't mean to be anal or anything, but a 3700AMB is not a Sonata, they're two different series of case. In the Sonata, the hard drive mounting drawers are oriented sideways...
just so u know! :)

You might want to look into suspending your hard drives, i believe there is an extensive thread dealing with this, in the storage section maybe?

Otherwise, looks really nice... I don't feel qualified to comment any further, I'm still saving up to be able to carry out my diabolical plans! :twisted:
Sorrty Mockery. It was a typo. I used to have a Sonata. Anyhow i corrected the post.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:40 am

I've been using suspension with great success, and it think it would work quite well for you. The easiest implementation is to get ahold of some 3/16" shock cord (also known as bungee cord).

1. Remove drive cage
2. Mount 4 vertical strands of shock cord from the upper drive cage to the floor of the case.
3. Use vinyl wire clamps to attach the hard drives to the shock cord in the same position and orientation they are now.*

This will isolate them from each other and the rest of the case while preserving space for additional drives and allowing good airflow. anchoring the shock cord at the top and bottom should provide some stability in case the case gets bumped.

*on second thought, if you rotated the drives holizontally 180 degrees, the cables would look even better.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun May 15, 2005 12:18 pm

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=17474

Page down and you will see burcakb's suspended drive cage in an Antec SLK3700AMB.

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Sun May 22, 2005 8:23 pm

zaribars wrote: Sorrty Mockery. It was a typo. I used to have a Sonata. Anyhow i corrected the post.
Damn. Make me look stupid... :oops:
:)

Leot

Post by Leot » Fri May 27, 2005 8:53 pm

I have the exact same problem :x

Except I have 3 drives, havnt tested it with only 1 but tried unplugging my new one and my old ones (from my old PC) still made the noise exactly the same (even tho in my old lian-li pc60 they didnt).

Im suprised that this issue wasnt mentioned in the review done on this website, but perhaps he only tested it with a single drive :/