What do you think?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dartiss

What do you think?

Post by dartiss » Sun May 22, 2005 4:31 am

I've finally put together a specification for my new PC. It's NOT for gaming but I want something quite powerful but quiet and good VFM.

Let me know what you think:

Case - Alpine EZ-Cool (aluminium)
Case fans - Nexus 80mm (front) & 120mm (rear), with Acoustifan gel gaskets
PSU - Nexus Real Silent 400w
Processor - AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+
Processor fan - Nexus AXP-6400
Motherboard - Abit AX8
Memory - 2x512Mb Crucial PC3200 DDR
Graphics card - Sapphire X300 SE 32M
Optical Drives - LG GDR8163BB DVD-ROM and GSA4163 DVD-RW
Hard Drive - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300Gb SATA
Fan Controller - Coolermaster Cooldrive 6

Cheers
David.

mongobilly

Re: What do you think?

Post by mongobilly » Sun May 22, 2005 6:27 am

You can probably do without the front fan, just make sure that there's a reasonably big intake. Else it seems like a sensible system for non gamers (I'm building something along those lines myself).

florecilla

Post by florecilla » Mon May 23, 2005 6:12 am

Hello dartiss.

Well, there are two things: first, you pick up an aluminum case. If you do it, don't do it for cooling reasons; don't make my same mistake. There is no strong thermal contact between components and the case (unless we are speaking of things like the Zalman TNN series). So aluminum will make the panels lighter and so more prone to resonation and easier for sound to go through them. It will make the case somewhat lighter and more expensive. But not any cooler. Thermalwise, I mean ;)

Second, many people get both a DVD ROM and DVD RAM, while in theory one unit should be enough. I think an LG drive is hard enough to withstand heavy use so I don't see the point. Well, may be this hardware is quite cheap there and you prefer to have both ... anyway, if you factor the extended life from your DVDRAM unit into the equation and the future need to adopt new standards (when it dies, maybe blueray or dvdhd will be here) I think you'll find it more practical to save your money.

Uupsss, and before I forget, a 400w psu is overkill. A 300w one will be closer to your average compsumption and will probably be slightly more efficient (and cheaper). Don't worry about upgrading... 300w will be enough for quite some time and when you need a new rig, you'll get a BTX case with quad-core AMDX4 and throw that psu to the dump. If you get that model do it for its acoustic performance or some other reason, but not for power futureproofing.