any battery powered how tos? if not advice is welcome

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Muahdib

any battery powered how tos? if not advice is welcome

Post by Muahdib » Wed May 25, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi folks, this is my first post here.

I have a wild hair to build something. 2 weeks ago I interviewed at centaur for a layout job. as part of trying to get ready for the interview, I read up on what they do and was rather impressed with the amount of power there cpus consume.

the job didnt work out :( but it got me to thinking and now I am wanting to tinker with a low power pc that is powered by a rechargable battery, much like a laptop. only probelm is laptops are to big to fit in the space I have.. so..

I was thinking of getting a VIA EPIA MII10000. is this a good choice?

things that are important for this project
space
power
how to run on battery
wireless

these are much more important than pure cpu power. so the VIA EPIA MII10000 seems to be a good choice, that being said, how do I run it on batterys?

thanks for your input

Muahdib

ont

Post by ont » Fri May 27, 2005 10:42 am

the guys over at http://www.mp3car.com run epias in theire cars and they run them off their batteries when the engine is off. look into theire forums for detailed information, the general idea is to use a 12v dc-dc PSU

Muahdib

Post by Muahdib » Sat May 28, 2005 11:49 am

thanks for the reply..

thats kind of what I came to as well.. I dont hvae the space for a car battery tho. and I need to recharge it. I think I have found what I need tho

thanks for the time

if you have any other ideas let me know..

andywww

Post by andywww » Sat May 28, 2005 2:42 pm

There was a slashdot story a while back about a guy who used batteries to power a mac mini- i think he described how he did it.