Looking for the right HDD for an upgrade

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kaizer

Looking for the right HDD for an upgrade

Post by Kaizer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:46 am

I am currently running a (very whiny) WD 800JB as my OS HDD and a Samsung SP1614N as my storage HDD. The noise from the 800JB is overpowering everything else in my case, so I am considering replace it with something quieter (using the SP1614N alone doesn't seemed to be viable as I am rapidly filling it up). I came up with the followings solutions.

Option 1: Replace the 800JB with a Samsung SP1213N (120 GB 8MB cache) for $93 (CND dollar before tax) OR a Samsung SP1213C (SATA version) for $99.

Option 2: Replace the 800JB with a Samsung SP1614N (160 GB 8MB cache) for $99 OR a Samsung SP1614C (SATA version) for $109.

Option 3: Wait for the price of the 200 GB Seagte or Samsung to drop (below $120). Replace the 800 JB with my existing SP1614N.

Option 4: Buy a DVD burner to increase the available space on the SP1614N (by removing existing data onto DVD media) and setting the samsung as my only HDD. (Would I take a performace hit this way?)

I have second thoughts about the SATA purchases as I heard A7N8xE-DLX has some issues with the on-board Silicon Image SATA controller (unless that issues has been fixed with the latest BIOs?). Also, since the SATA drive would be on it's own channel, would I see an improvement in HDD performance between a SATA + PATA (of identical size & cache) combo and a 2 x PATA (of identical size & cache on the same IDE channel) combo?

I am looking for the best possible deal, so if anyone can help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated! (My system specs. is in my sig. PSU is an Enermax 350W non-Noisetaker)

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 am

Yeah, I have an 800JB too and they are annoying. I'm looking to buy a replacement. For fun, unplug your hard disk, turn the computer on and enjoy the silence 8)

Personally, I'd back some of the data up and partition the samsung according to your needs. Well, I'll be following this thread so let us know what you decide.

Thanks.

Kaizer

Post by Kaizer » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 am

jackylman wrote:For fun, unplug your hard disk, turn the computer on and enjoy the silence 8)
LOL, I actually DID that right after posting this thread :D ... Unfortunately, it seems that my SP1614N (JVC motor) is starting to whine noticably even though it's less than a year old. Sigh... looks like I'll be buying a new hdd for sure now :?

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:21 am

Choose the 1614N. Here's my reasoning: Paying an extra $7 for 40GB of space is definately worth it over the 1213N. Both of these drives are dual platter and should emit the same amount of noise. The performance difference for sata drives is negligible so don't spend extra money on them. Waiting for stuff sucks so don't wait to buy a 200GB drive (if anything wait for when they turn the bits on hard drives sideways and increase their capacity 10 fold, besides these drives have more platters which = more noise). Burning dvds sucks. It takes too much time and effort to organize things on to dvds. I have a dvd burner and I barely use it's ability to burn dvds. Thus by elimination you arrive at the 1614N.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:19 am

Elixir is right, except that the new Samsung P120 200 GB and 250 GB drives are both two platter designs, and are reported to be comparably quiet to (if not better than) the Samsung P80 series.

Kaizer

Post by Kaizer » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:39 am

Thank you all for your comments, especially you Elixer. Another SP1614N it is :) ...