Silent gaming system - Venice + DFI Ultra-D based + O/C + UV

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

biodome

Silent gaming system - Venice + DFI Ultra-D based + O/C + UV

Post by biodome » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:14 pm

Hey guys! :)

I'm in the process of upgrading my system, and would like to put out my ideas and get some feedback! ;)

I have a long history of advising people on what rigs to buy, but that's in my own Israeli (hebrew) forum.
Still i regard SPCR as the only place to ask about a silent computer. As all of you, i also got da bug..! :D

So let us begin, shall we?

CPU: AMD 3000+ Venice, Stepping hopefully gonna be 0517, hope to O/C to 2.6-2.7, by this thread in XtremeSystems, seems possible on Air.

CPU Cooler: Thermalright XP-120 + Glacialtech 120mm 19dba@1000 RPM GT12252BDL-2

Motherboard: DFI LanParty UT NF4U Ultra-D + Chipset cooler mod to HEATPIPE with a Zalman ZM80A-HP

Memory: Mushkin PC4000 512mb + 2x256mb

Video card: Leadtek GF6600 PCX (temp card until next generation of cards arrives, I assume around Xmas)

Hard Drives: Samsung P80 160GB SATA, Seagate 7200.7 80GB SATA - both in Smart Drive 2002. I might need a new one for storage.

DVDRW: NEC 3520A Black

Case: Modded Compucase 6A19 (totally identical to the Antec SLK3000B) + 2x120mm Glacialtech blue fans

PSU: I'm thinking of the Seasonic S12-500 sleeved, from Performance-Pcs, only thing i'm gonna order abroad.

UV: Speeze EE-UVBAR

A generic 3.5" bay fan controller..

Now in Detail:

* I'm pretty sure upping the voltage to 1.5-1.55v should gain me a nice o/c and still keep the comp stable, at least i hope so.. :) I got a friend in local retailer that tells me he can get me a 0517 stepping, and these seem to be really doing great by the XtremeSystems forum.
I want the XP-120 cause then I'll be able to fit in 120mm coolness with quietness.. ;)

* As for the Glacialtech fans - I'm not sure if you guys know them, cause i never seen them mentioned in these forums. They are 9 blades, run at around 900-1000 RPM, and are pretty quiet, though while on the case not silent completely, taking down the voltage a bit solves this and they are completely silent. The plus about the blue version of these fans is they are UV sensitive.. something i just found out last week and became addicted to ever since.. this cool blue light ownz me for life! :D
It's also great for those of us that don't like leds/bright lights, as with a simple turn of the switch the UV cathod goes off, and with it the shiney fans that don't have any leds in them.

* I know the Ultra-D chipset HSF is quite a bugger from these forums, and that those here that used the Zalman ZM-NB47J manipulating around the graphics cards later complained it gets really hot (and thus not good for o/c). I got the idea to heatpipe the motherboard chipset from a rig i saw in Hannover on CeBIT 2005 on the MSI booth, it was a completly passive cooled system, and here's the relevant picture to demonstrate what i hope to accomplish:

I do hope the DFI Ultra-D will have enough space for this mod, by looking at the pictures it looks like it can be done, but i won't be sure until i get the board in my hands.. i already have this zalman VGA cooler in my HTPC, and i already took it out.. :D
This will require sawing a part of the heatsink, but that can be done rather easily i belive. i just hope it won't be too thick to touch the graphics.. if it worked for this MSI SLi board i believe it can work out.
Hehe, if you ask me, Abit and Asus reps saw this alternative solution on CeBIT and got the idea for their new boards from there.. ;)
I plan on bending the heatpipe in the other direction though, torwards the front intake fan (after removing the useless drive cage, since i use Smart Drive enclosures).

* Memory - I know it seems odd having 256x2 + 512mb but that's a mistake Mushkin did while they sent me the sticks.. I ordered 4x256mb quite a while ago (over a year) and received 3x256mb + 512mb.. no complaints besides this thing cannot work in DualChannel mode. hehe the 512mb actually has a 256mb sticker on it. I didn't RMA it back then cause i ordered these internationally, and really, i won't complain on getting something better than what i ordered.. ;)
So no Dual Channel for now till i get newer sticks in future upgrade, for now i don't think it's that important.. My site reviewed (and translated) these exact sticks and in single channel mode they got up to 538mhz.

* VGA - I can borrow the 6600 for free from a friend and keep it for a few months till the next generation of cards come out. I planned on X800XL but i'll feel stupid paying this much for a video card and have next generation coming out two-three months later. I plan on using Thermalright's V1 cooler with a 80mm Panaflo or Glacialtech.. I doubt though this will fit on the X16 slot on the Ultra-D and XP-120, and I might be forced to use the secondary PCI-Express slot on X8. Seems like it will be insignificent for performance anyways.
The second VGA slot on the Ultra-D can be run on X8 without any modifications, right? :)

* Hard Drive - I might be crazed on silence, but not gonna go on a laptop HD in a gaming rig. even as my main rig, I find the HDs i got pretty quiet, though seek noise tends to be quite horrible, i don't sleep next to 'em.. What's the most silent storage HD out there? (not system hd). I believe i noticed a lot speak in favor of the P120 Samsung series. I hope to find a 200GB drive in my next upgrade.

* Case: As i mentioned, the interior of the 6A19 is exactly the same as the known Antec 3000B.. only difference i can spot from the pics, is the front USB is located differently. and of course the front panel.
I've modded my case and cut out the honeycomb fan grills:

The fans will also be the 120mm Glacialtech that i mentioned before.
I want to color the interior all black as well, if i ever will, be sure i'll post pics.
In order to expose the UV in it's glorious state, i'm gonna use a WaterJet i have access to, to cut the side panel and make my own customized window. Still no plan on the shape though.. Here's an example of something i cut with the waterjet just last week.. 8)

* PSU - As I understood from these forums and site articles the Seasonic S12-500 is the quietest and one of the more reliable and powerful PSUs you can choose for a "heavy" system. I like it's Dual 12V complaince, the 120mm fan, and PCI-Express VGA connector. Also the fact it's all black.
I ordered a zalman psu for my last comp from Performance-Pcs, and I must say they did a remarkable job with the sleevings! This time I'll probably have it sleeved with UV sensitive sleevings. I wonder if i should ask this Seasonic modulated (have the cables remoavable).. they add $50 for this feature which is quite a bit, and i'm not sure if this will effect the quality of the product.
Am I updated on this subject and the Seasonic really is the PSU to go with?

Well this has been one long post.. :)
I hope the few of you that will actually read it all will take the time to reply back and say what they think, add some useful suggestions or remarks.

After i'll get your confirmation i will start ordering the parts I still lack (CPU, XP-120, Motherboard, PSU).

Have a great day! :D
Last edited by biodome on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:39 pm

Sounds like you've done your research, and your system will be a nice compromise between performance and noise. It's going to be hard to hit 2.6-2.7 ghz with the fan at only 1000rpm but I wish you the best of luck. I'm not sure if you'll need the smart drives at first, keeping your other components cool may generate more noise than your hard drives, especially if you suspend them. I'd reccomend you wait to buy them and only get them if you feel it's needed.

Slidax

Post by Slidax » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:08 pm

Great setup you've got there!

Can you post pics of your zalman heatpipe mod when your done, looks like a good way to do it.

biodome

Post by biodome » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:37 am

Elixer:
Some people are even reaching 2.8 with the stock AMD cooler and these chips. I don't think 2.6-2.7 will be really hard task for a XP-120, even if the fan is weak.. i am crossing my fingers, but if it won't be possible i'll be satisfied with less as long as my computer is silent.. ;)
I already have the Smart Drives in my current system and of course i will need them! with three quiet 120mm fans + another one in the system PSU, i believe this rig is going to be pretty quiet to ear the HDs over the fans.

Slidax:
Of course i'll take pictures of everything and post the work-log later on.. don't worry.. ;)

The main concerns from this thread are actually these:
1. The second VGA slot on the Ultra-D can be run on X8 without any modifications, right?
2. What's the most silent storage HD out there? (not system hd). I believe i noticed a lot speak in favor of the P120 Samsung series.
3. Am I updated on this subject and the Seasonic S12-500 really is the PSU to go with such a rig?