Probems closing the computer case - Antec SLK3000B

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cdplayer

Probems closing the computer case - Antec SLK3000B

Post by cdplayer » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:49 pm

I am building my computer using a Antec SLK3000B. I installed a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with a Panafol - FBA12G12L-1A fan.

The problem is when I attempt to close the case. The Antec SLK3000B has a vent on the right side (if you are standing in front of it). On the inside of that vent there is plastic tubing that covers half of the fan. When I try to close the case the plastic tubing gets in the way.

I am wondering how important that tubing is. If I remove the tubing how will that affect the temperature inside the case? What if I cut some of the tubing?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

Thanks! :)

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:23 am

I remember someone else on this board also used the XP-120 in the SLK3000-B case, and he mentioned that he had to remove the case's side cooling duct to make room for it. The duct is not important, especially not with quality CPU cooling such as the XP-120 + fan; some other Antec cases don't have the duct at all.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:59 am

Hello:

I'm assuming that the tube is already adjusted to as short a length as possible? You should be able to remove it w/o cutting it? (screws or pins?)

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:58 am

Maybe you can try a thinner CPU fan? I have the SLK-3000B with XP-120 and Yate Loon, and that all fits beneat the side panel's CPU duct (the tubing is adjusted to its shortest length).

As for removing the tubing, that is a reversible experiment (it just unscrews off); just try it and see how your temperatures change.

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:46 am

Thank you CgameProgrammer, NeilBlanchard and rtsai for replying!

CgameProgrammer,
I too remember reading a thread on this site where someone else had the same problem! Thanks for the sanity check! I was beginning to think that I was imagining things! Too bad I was unable locate the thread.

NeilBlanchard,
The tube is adjusted to its shortest length. I can remove it as you mention since there are screws that hold the tube in place.

Rtsai,
After I purchased the Panafol - FBA12G12L-1A I read that the fan was NOT as good (quiet) as they were in their hay day. :( I will look into how much the Yate Loon costs. I am assuming that the fan is quiet. I will have to do some more research for the fan.

What 120mm (thin) fans are considered to be the darlings of the month?

Cheers! :D

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:51 am

I removed mine. There was about a 1/4" clearance with an XP-90, but the motherboard's CPU socket didn't line up with it anyway.

Oh well, less plastic to rattle around.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:52 am

I'd sooner remove the duct than use a thinner fan, especially if the duct doesn't overlap well with the fan; if the fan is blowing down over the heatsink, it will draw cool air from the vent whether or not there is a duct.
Anyway, an XP-120 can cool most CPUs (especially AMD) just fine without the help of any duct, so it's not worth worrying about too much.

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:22 am

Thank you jackylman and Spod for your comments!

Jackylman,
Now that you mention it the tube only covers about ½ of the 12-mm fan. So whatever benefits I was going to receive by keeping the tube in place are probably lost anyway.

Spod,
You are a mind reader! 8) I have been asking myself “In which direction should the fan be moving the air, away or to the heatsink?” Now I know! I am not ready to turn on the new build yet but before I do I am going to turn that fan over so that the air blows over the heatsink!

OK since there is a total of three 120mm fans in the case one in the front, one on the heatsink and the other at the rear. That does not include the fan in the PSU. I am going to take off the tube. I appears that keeping or removing the tube won't make much difference, except that I will be able to close the case with ease. :mrgreen:

Cheers! :D

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:47 am

You're welcome! :D I flipped the fan on my XP-90, not for the CPU's sake but to better cool the RAM - blowing air onto something tends to produce better airflow over that item than sucking air off it.
This doesn't apply so clearly to the XP-90 and 120 as far as cooling the CPU is concerned - all else being equal, it doesn't matter which way you flip the fan. See the reviews here for evidence.
But when other factors come into play - my desire to cool my RAM, and your wish to get some cool air in through that vent and onto your CPU - that can determine which way is better. If you were ducting it to a rear exhaust fan, sucking air off the HSF would be the obvious way to go.