My third silent system. The easy way.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

perikooo

My third silent system. The easy way.

Post by perikooo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:55 am

Hello:

I am going to build my third silent system. The first and the second were done on the hard way. Just traying to silence "normal" components. Now i want to do it on the easy way, buing silence components. Here is my list:

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
HeatSink: Thermalright XP-120
Heatsink Fan: Nexus REAL SILENT CASE FAN 120mm
Mobo: Asus A8N-E / Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9
Memory: ?????
Case: Antec SLK3000B
Case Fans: Nexus REAL SILENT CASE FAN 120mm X2
PSU: Seasonic S12 430w/380w
GPU: Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP / Asus 6600GT
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint SP2004C SATA / SP2504C SATA
DVD: ?????
DVD-R: NEC 3520

As you can see, is an standard silent system.

The idea is to control the case fans and the CPU fan with speedfan. So i like the Asus mobo cos it can control both fans. But it could be better to buy the Gygabyte Mobo cos it has no chipset fan, but can only control one fan. Wich do you think is best?.

I have the same problem with the GPU, Gigabyte one´s has no fan to change so you have not to void the warranty to silence it, but Asus has better reputation.

About the memory, i do not know what to choose. Any advice will be apreciated, and the same about the DVD player.

The computer is sopossed to be a gaming silent machine (not a hardcore gamer ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Perikooo

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:30 am

For memory just get as much as you can for as little as you can, but make sure its from a good vendor. (OCZ and Corsair are basically the only two brands i'll use but keep in mind that everybody has their favorite so you'll probably get recommendations of at least 10 brands.)

As far as the motherboard and video card. I'd go with the gigabyte stuff since its silenced in stock form. I've got a gigabyte board and i love how feature packed they are.

jjm052

Post by jjm052 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:31 pm

Perikooo,

Like the look of that system!
In my humble opinion I'd go with the gigabyte mobo, excellent value for money, all the best features. Really I think you'd only want the CPU fan controlled by the mobo as it does require lots of speed adjustment depending on what your doing. The case fans are best controlled by you so when your gaming etc wack them up to full, if just on the net etc leave them on low. this way if you really want it quiet you can have it, as you have the choice to let things get a little hotter - i use the akasa fan control jnr (3.5") its cheap, looks good (very subtle) and does the job. Also be sure to use everest home edition for temp monitoring its free and I really highly recommend it - the link is on this site - otherwise use google.
The other thing I'd say is that if you want a 6600gt (good card, great value) get the gigabyte you mention as it passively cooled from stock, sadly I recently smoked my 6600gt using a zm80d-hp, temps reported were always fine but I've a feeling the ram overheated....gutted so don't mod one is my advice, there are others that have failed also.
With that I would say you have the best possible quiet system that is also no slouch.
All the best
James

biodome

Post by biodome » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 pm

Do notice the A8N-E uses the same chipset fan as the A8N-SLI, and i know it's a REALLY noisey cricket. so u will have to swap it with something else. Gigabyte here might be the better choice, i do hope that that small heatsink does a good work cooling the chipset. There are now Asus and Abit boards the cool the chipset using a heatpipe, and are probably the best choices if you something silent, good, and out of the box.

Gigabyte should have a 6600GT passively cooled..
http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Pr ... T128VP.htm

Do go into Thermalright's site, they say something about the XP-120 and Gigabyte K8 boards, i think it requires a different backplate from the one provided.