Killed my 2.4 gig Intel ?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frosty

Killed my 2.4 gig Intel ?

Post by frosty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:26 am

I think I killed my company purchase of a 2.4 gig pc. I just added a modem and my ATI Radeon 9800 and it won't boot up. No start up beeps.

I tried then installing my 300 w psu to no avail.

Tried my maxtor drive and no c prompt even

Reinstalled the original barrcuda 7200 and removed the ati card and modem and still nada.

I think I must have fried the mobo huh?

Any tips appreciated.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Re: Killed my 2.4 gig Intel ?

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:52 am

It is probably the motherboard. You'll want to start testing the individual components to make sure that they still work. If they all work, then it is the motherboard.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:55 am

Did you remove the motherboard? If so, make sure the power connectors are plugged in properly. Elsewise, make sure the PSU has the switch on the back set to the "-" position.

If you have it plugged into a powerstrip, make sure the switch is on so the computer gets power.

Try hitting the powerbutton several times. After making a change, it sometimes takes a few button presses for the PSU to kick in, after that, it works fine.

Make sure the motherboard is grounded properly.

You MAY have an insufficient power supply. Try a higher one, if you've got one available. Most systems don't even use 300w, but depending on the quality of your PSU, it may not be providing the advertised power (9800 pro is powerhungry).

Make sure that the cable is plugged into the 9800Pro, switch cables so that the video card is the sole component plugged in - some components don't play nice when sharing a cable.

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:04 am

Thanks - more info: I tried my 300 w Mike's Modded and the system won't even run with the built in video, no ATI in it. The led light comes on and the psu is running ok, even mobo fans kick in fan, exhaust and cpu fan but not beep beep on start up and perhaps I dislodged the cpu as I in ignorance tried initially to check out the fan on the mobo and loosened the hs also. Funny thing is the 300 w psu runs great on my athlon 1700 with no problems, but then again perhaps the 2.4 needs more power, but get this: it came with only a 250 w Sparkle brand psu. I think perhaps I killed the mobo by accident. :(

RV8C

Check power

Post by RV8C » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:05 am

Don't mean to sound condescending, but the 1st rule of thumb for tech support I learned is to check to see if the PSU switch is "on", and whether or not the PSU cable is connected properly into the PSU and/or the wall socket. You'd be surprised at how many tech calls are solved this way...

Cheers

Just saw your updated post.... never mind!

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:08 am

No no Rv not at all, totally good point. I know people I trouble phones on and they don't have their ringer on - on mod and can't obtain calls. Shakes head.....

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:12 am

Make sure you have all of your IDE and SATA cables unplugged - I remember older systems where I somehow got the cables plugged in reversed, and had similar problems to what you have now. Also unplug the power cables to the floppy and hard drives as well. Once I had the floppy power cable plugged in wrong, which caused the computer to not boot (and the floppy to fry).