New system...please review and advise

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

deebo

New system...please review and advise

Post by deebo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 pm

Hey guys. You all seem really helpful, and I have finally decided to start posting. I wanted to read as many articles as possible before finally posting.

I am planning on using the components below to build a new system. I want to keep is pretty quiet. It may go in the TV room, so I would prefer not to hear it 4ft away. If I left something out or you think I should go a different route let me know. I haven't decided fully on a couple options, so suggestions are welcome!

Antec P180
SeaSonic S12-430
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm
SAMSUNG SP1614C 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 X 2
NECDVD Burner ND-3540A
DVD-ROM 16X - Model undecided
1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 - Model undecided ($150 OCZ maybe)
6600GT 256 Video - exact model undecided
Could add VGA cooler especially if I choose a higher card.
Could upgrade case fans to Nexus as well.

I was thinking of spending around $1500 (not set in stone). If I go with this, it looks like I have about $200 wiggle room. I could upgrade any area (ideas?). I really want to go to a better video card (maybe even 7800GTX, but I am really worried about noise). That might require spending another $300-$350.

Bring on the questions and suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:50 pm

I just built a system with a 6600gt and the nvidia stock cooler was by FAR the loudest thing in the system. Based on your component list I believe you'll hav the same problem.

I also own a 7800gtx and ironically, it is much quieter (when not under load). I am not kidding!

So I would strongly suggest either getting an aftermarket cooler for the 6600gt or buying a 7800gtx. The 7800gtx is way expensive, but the performance is amazing. 2x the framerate of a 6800 ultra in battlefield 2 is almost worth $600 :)

deebo

Post by deebo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:53 pm

I have been reading your posts in the other forums. I am really tempted by the 7800. I have a feeling that the 6600 may not be enough power, and I will have to upgrade again very soon, effectively throwing away the $250 I will spend on a 6600. I just hope I can keep a 7800 cool and quiet.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:09 am

I've read elsewhere on SPCR that the VF-700 works on a 7800GTX. The poster didn't specify whether that was at 5V or 12V, but even at 12V, the VF700 isn't as noisy as a stock cooler, and it might help cool your chipset. Speaking of which...

The chipset cooler on the DFI is right under the primary graphics slot, meaning it would take a fair bit of modding to fit an NB-47J in there (though it has been done... you have to give it a 'parting' around the graphics card). The new Asus and Abit nForce4 boards with heatpipe coolers eliminate that problem rather nicely, though you'll have to check the reviews if you're interested in overclocking.

The 7800 GTX is certainly tempting, especially if you think you might end up upgrading to one in the future anyway. It's a little more expensive than two mid-range cards, but the mid range card you buy late next year might still be slower than a 7800GTX.
Also, if you're running at stock speeds, you could save a little on the RAM to help your GPU budget. The GPU will make more difference in most games than memory timings.

With a Venice 3200+, the Scythe cooler will be able to cool it passively in a P180, even with the top fan removed and the rear fan on low. Or you could stick a fan on it if you think that'll help cool motherboard components (e.g. heatpipe chipset coolers).

Can you stretch to a pair of Samsung P120 200GB drives? No risk of getting a JVC motor, plus you get more space and better performance.

amplemind

Post by amplemind » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:18 am

Since it is and AMD system, you should probably just go with some Corsair Valueselect memory. Then I'd go for an X800XL if you don't get the 7800GTX. The rest of the stuff looks good, just like my system except I've ordered an Asus A8N SLI Premium, and a A64 3000+, I hear those can overclock just as much as the 3200+, that could save you about 40$.

Edit: If you didn't know, the Asus Premium Mobo, has a heatpipe and thus is silent, that would help you reach your goal of silent from 4ft. Although I bet any components in a P180 would be silent from that range.

:D :D :D :D :D

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:07 pm

not clear whether the priority is Games,Videos,Audio, How you go would vary. Sounds like a tilt towards games. Overall,for the role of a relatively silent game rig this sounds good. I'm no gamer,I'm into audio/music so a basic vidcard,but a sweet soundcard would be for me. I'd go for the ECS KN1-Extreme for it's dedicated audio pci slot. If Vids were priority-A TV Wonder

Duckspeak

Post by Duckspeak » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:24 am

Yeah, the priority is games. I also want a great setup for music, but the way to get really, really high-quality sound isn't a good sound card, it's an external USB DAC and amplifier. Can end up costing the same amount as the computer, of course...