Power on problem with Abit KD7

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kma
*Lifetime Patron*

Power on problem with Abit KD7

Post by kma » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:28 am

Hi,
I've been quieten my system (Abit KD7, Palomino 1700+, 2x256MB, Samsung SP1614N, Seasonic S12-430, Not OC:d) an now I have two minor issues:

First off, I recently noticed that after beeing completely powerd off (unplugged) my system behaves strange.
(have some thunder and lightning during the summer, an if you don't unplug properly...)
1. when plugged in the system starts immediately (BIOS setting for state after power failure is: "Power Off")
2. the MB integrated ethernet controller fails to work
3. the system fails to shutdown normally
After one extra complete poweroff the system works as normal again.

That is, the method to get it working 'immediately' after an unplug is:
-Plug in all cables
-Turn power on using the little switch on the PSU, system starts booting
-Immediately turn switch off agian
-Set the switch to on, system does correctly (as set in BIOS) remain off, works normally when powered on

Think the problem can be related to the install of the new Seasonic PSU... didn't notice it before, altough I remember an earlier issue with the ethernet controller not working... anyone heard of or experienced a similar issue?

Second, my northbridge is hot. I've read they can take quite high temps and the temp sensors are unreliable (I think mine is some 10 degrees to high), but I want a second opinion.. maby I should get a waterblock instead of Zalmans NB heatsink?

As I did experiments my temperatures read (during folding, ambient 23C):
MB System sensor: 66C (next to the Via KT400 nortbridge)
CPU internal sensor: 45C (Zalman reserator cooled)
MB CPU Surface sensor: 48C
(Connecting a 9cm fan at full tilt blowing on the northbrige for a few minutes give me in same order 40C, 45C, 37C.)
My system is stable either way, at 66C system temp the northbridge heatsink (bottom side, close to the MB) feels really hot to touch,
but with a litte force of mind I can keep my finger on it.

PS. Is this right or wrong forum? (Sorry..)

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:27 pm

The power on problem could be because of some weird BIOS Power Management bug. Maybe when you turn the power supply on, the motherboard "thinks" it sees a Wake-on-LAN (WOL) signal coming from the integrated ethernet controller, so the entire motherboard wakes up with it. Try turning the power supply on with the network cable unplugged and see what happens.

I have seen other KT400 motherboards that come with passive heatsinks on their northbridges, so yours with the Zalman is probably OK.

kma
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kma » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:01 am

Seems you're right!
If I unplug the network cable It doesn't boot when power is turned on...
but I still have to switch back off, wait a few seconds and on again for the ethernet controller to come to life. Weird is what it is.

Big question is if I can do something about it, already running the latest BIOS...
Guess I can live with it, but I don't want the computer to boot when there's been a power failure.. especially not if I'm away.

merovingian

Post by merovingian » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:05 am

alglove dawns the crystal ball of tech support +4 on that one. :wink: Good job!