Looking for silence... again.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

worlann

Post by worlann » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Heyas, it has been almost a year since my last post. I'm yet again looking for a decent, affordable silence. Knowing the routine in deciding a system, my intentions for the computer is gaming of course, with the capability of doing other things. The parts I have been eyeing at so far are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
WD 160GB SATA2
Plextor PX740A
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

I haven't decided exactly which motherboard or graphics card to get, as I am waiting to see what the latest ATI card will offer. However, in any case it will be something not too expensive, but still powerful for gaming.

Not being the fool I was last time and buying something, just to complain about it later on, I have decided to consult with the experts here first. I'm not looking for any overclocking abilities here, just a nice out of the box solution. A nice and quiet, small, black case would do. I'm not into the modded stuff. I'm still kicking myself for this X-Dreamer-II I bought.

I have been researching this P180 case by Antec, and it orignally looked good... however these forums have been showing that it has many flaws, and it just looks like too much for what I need. Any suggestions?

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention that I have a NeoPower 480 PSU from Antec. I paid around $200 for it, so I am not about to get rid of it. I heard it runs quiet for some people. Teach me gurus of silence :P.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:35 pm

Hello & welcome back!

I would suggest two excellent and affordable cases: the Evercase 4252 and the Antec SLK-3000B. Check the recommended cases section for details. Each will run you about $50 w/o a PS, if you count having to add a quiet fan to the Evercase. The Antec fan is decent when set to low.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:56 pm

The only P180 flaws I've really heard of is the door bowing out slightly, and maybe the panels. The other complaints have really been about the Intel P4 cable length, fixed with an extension cable, and doing the wiring in the P180, but that takes awhile only if you're going for the uber clean method.

I have one and am completely satisfied with it.

worlann

Post by worlann » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:42 pm

The problem with those two cases is that they have a fan hole on the side. I have found with the case that I have that it lets out alot of noise from the parts inside. I ended up having to buy some foam from an arts and crafts store and seal it up. That helped get rid of most of the whine from my system, with no noticeable increase in temperature.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:20 am

Hi,

The title says

Do you really mean that, or do you just mean quiet? For total silence the only solution I know of is to put a quiet computer in another room.

With a well designed case and (say) a Seasonic S12 PSU you should be able to get to the point where the loudest component is the CPU fan at a bit below 1000rpm at idle using (say) a XP-120. The reviews here suggest the noise level would be in the mid 20s dB at idle with the case were open, but rather lower if the exhaust path from the case is well muffled.

Quiet, but still audible in a silent room.

To get to that point it is necessary that the air intake is well muffled and all the ventilation fans are placed well inside the case. But that's all, apart from investiong in a quiet PSU and efficeinet CPU cooler.

Beyond that it get's difficult IMO. The issue though is simple - how to get the hot air away from the back of the case but at the same time killing the noise from the CPU fan?

Peter

worlann

Post by worlann » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:10 am

You're right, silence isn't that realistic to go for, but I do want a fairly quiet sytem. Even though I want something as cheap as possible, I wouldn't mind spending just a few more bucks on something, as long as it will help this goal. One of the biggest problems with my current case is the vibration. If I press my hand on the back of the case, the system sounds a little bit more pleasing to the ears (though I would like to tone down the hum). However, I've tried tightening the parts, the case, tried loosening them (just a bit), either way doesn't work... So I guess it is the shoddy workmanship of this case. Why I'm attracted to the P180 is because it is supposed to have a fairly solid structure.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:21 am

Hello,

If you were to install a piece of foam and/or tape over those side vents, then you effectively "fix" the issue. BTW, the P180 needs a few similar tweaks: the VGA duct, the rear vents on the lower and the main sections, the top fan -- all of these might need to be adjusted/tweaked; so the Evercase and the 3000B might actually be easier to deal with? And they cost $75-$100 less!

worlann

Post by worlann » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Besides needed to modify it a bit, it does seem like a nice deal. Wish it had front audio ports too though. I have audio cable extenders though, so that isn't much of a deal. What about the Sonata case? My local computer store has that one available. Trying to see if I can get something without having to specialty order it :).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:39 am

Hello,

The Evercase 4252-53 has front audio ports, USB2 ports, and a Firewire port. :o It costs just $36 plus shipping, and for $8 or so you can buy a second HD cage if you need it. A quiet rear fan will run $10-15. Add a quiet SeaSonic and you're all set! You have one of the best cases around!

The only caveat with the Evercase (or any compact ATX case) is that you have to select your motherboard/HSF combo with a little more attention paid to the location of the socket vs the size of the HSF.

worlann

Post by worlann » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:08 pm

Eesh, I'm looking at the pics from the Evercase website. Doesn't look that friendly to put stuff in it, with that big bar in the centre and all.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:36 pm

Hello,

Naw, it's fine -- the motherboard supports are embossed -- there is no need to put in the brass ones, and these won't scratch the back of your motherboard, either.

worlann

Post by worlann » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 am

I was refering to this picture:

Or is that easily removeable? Also, if I was to get that one, which rear fan should I buy? Obviously SilenX are not the way to go.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:37 am

Yes the bar is easily removable. It is to provide structural strength and (in some cases, not sure about this one) hold the expansion cards in place.

Rear fans : Nexus / Yate Loon orange fans are decent but still noisy at 12V. I have a Cooler Master something or other that's very quiet at 12V but also moves very little air - I suspect it is a 24V fan sold as a quiet 12V fan. It spins in the 650 rpm range at 12V.