What fan for XP-90?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mussels

What fan for XP-90?

Post by Mussels » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:36 am

I've been talked into an XP-90 (not C) by members of this forum a while ago, and my supplier (www.pccasegear.com.au) has an option where it comes with a panaflo low or high speed fan.

the low seems closer to what i'm after (silent PC) however the high is the same cost and has an RPM sensor.

I plan on controlling it via DFI's mobo software on my NF4-SLI board.

Will the high prove to be a better cooler when on a fan controller, or should i just go the low speed?

thanks guys.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:38 am

I've been talked into an XP-90 (not C) by members of this forum a while ago...
Well done, it's the best fanned heatsink IMHO. If your cpu has 100W+ output you might want to get the high rpm fan, otherwise I would get the low revving fan, it will almost certainly be fine.

Then, if you have a 120mm case fan exhaust, think of running the 80/92 cpu fan in a suck configuration, that way the hot air is exhausted more efficiently.

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:10 am

Athlon 64 venice 3500+ at 9x300. runs cool enough on the zalman, but i want it cool in summer too :P no idea on its wattage.

dual 80mm exhaust right now (antec 1000AMG case) but i'll certainly try the fan both ways.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:24 pm

My experience with 120mm Panaflo high speeds is that they're obscene in terms of noise, even when undervolted. I don't know if that impression can be extended to 92mm fans, but I'd certainly lean towards the Low speed one.

BTW, I know that the 80mm Panaflos didn't take too well to on-board fan regulation, which is typically PWM-based. By not taking too well, I mean it makes a lot more noise than it should. Again, I don't know if the same impression can be extended again.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:54 pm

there are newer Papst fans that are hit and miss. i seem to think more hit than miss though according to one friend who purchased several of them.

I have one from a year ago from Directron who sold the ones that dont have rpm monitoring. all of those, basically, were really nice and smooth. I have one on my exhaust in a quiet rig, it hasnt changed its tone or volume in just over a year of use. Excellent fans. I would use one of them over a nexus on my cpu if i wasnt water cooled now. they are hand balanced, and the blades are hand cut to closely fit the inner circle of plastic without wasting air movement. Nexus 120's I have heard sometimes dont start up at too low of a voltage, that's not a happy thing in my book for a crucial location.

All of these brands besides maybe nexus have severely loud version for their size of fans. the papst 120 i have can be bought with a different motor in it that draws 3x the wattage and is very loud. it took me a while of reading things on spcr and papst's own site to determine what exact model i really wanted.

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm

The low is more than enough for my FX-53 highest I have seen is in the low 50s running Prime95
And may I suggest Jab-tech for your XP-90 after all they carry the Panaflo Low Speed with RPM sensing.)
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/produc ... =80&page=1

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:35 am

oakdad: thanks for the FX53 information, the heat from that would be similar to an OC'd venice.

as for jab-tech... they arent aussie. i'm only interested in sites that ship to Aus.

~El~Jefe~: thanks i'll give papst a miss this time tho, i can only get one speed of papst fan locally and they dont have enough power for a CPU cooler, although they are very quiet.

sthayashi: i'll try mobo/PWM as well as resistor based (have a zalman fanmate thing here)

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:53 pm

got it today. Xp-90 alu with panaflo lo... the pana is a lot quieter than i expected, but with a loud whine that fades quickly with distance/something blocking it. i assume at less than 10V the fan will be just fine tho.

Came in a plain brown box, base was mirror smooth, but dirty.

Will install it later tonight and let you guys know how it fares against the 7000A, just so you know for future reference :D

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:04 am

updates:

Did a mini-review here.
http://www.3dchipset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468

upside: 10C less on CPU temp, same noise level.
Downside: broke the bloody fan (lol) so now it vibrates pretty bad (is inaudible tho)

question: i can get a pana with or without RPM sensor as a replacement... is there any tech specs that differ between the two?