Rubber Bands on a Heatsink

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cansy

Rubber Bands on a Heatsink

Post by Cansy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi :shock:

A while ago, my motherboard's chipset fan started making a loud grinding/rattling noise. I eventually found out that the screws holding the fan to the heatsink were vibrating against the heatsink. When realigning the screws failed several times I took them out and replaced them with rubber bands:

Above View

Side View

In order to do this I just knotted a rubber band in the middle, slid one end through the screw hole on the fan, and then hooked the loop under the corner of the heatsink. I clipped off the other half of the rubber band so it would not interfere with the fan blades. The bottom right hand corner of the heatsink in the second picture illustrates this most clearly.

This is a foxconn nf4uk8aa-8ekrs motherboard by the way. The chipset fan is noisy (~7000 rpm :( ), but not as bad it could be and easily drowned out by the stock athlon 64 heatsink fan, a problem which I will hopefully be fixing soon.

I have had them like this for about a month now with no problems and no visible damage to the rubber bands. They are by no means stretched and the edges of the heatsink are not sharp. Also the heatsink gets warm, but does not quite feel hot.

Does anyone think I could have long term problems with this setup? Are there any durable, heat resistant, rubber bands that I could use? I was thinking that there may be a fan belt somewhere of the appropriate size, does anyone know where I could find one? Has anyone else used rubber bands in this way?

As far as this helping to silence a computer, outside of my situation in which the grinding noise easily drowned out the cpu fan, you would need a much quieter chipset fan before vibration would be heard over the fan :P.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:50 pm

rubber bands perish quite easily. start looking for a new solution :P

quizzicus

Re: Rubber Bands on a Heatsink

Post by quizzicus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:48 pm

Cansy wrote: Are there any durable, heat resistant, rubber bands that I could use?
Zip ties should work beautifully.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Re: Rubber Bands on a Heatsink

Post by Cams » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:33 pm

quizzicus wrote:
Cansy wrote: Are there any durable, heat resistant, rubber bands that I could use?
Zip ties should work beautifully.
Just what I was going to say!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:15 pm

what also works is permanent thermal compound. I mean, once you have a good northbridge temp going to your desired level, i would just use the bonding crap on it.

some may object but eh, it's done once it's done.

my 8500 DV all in wonder has thermal glue compound and a passive zalman copper heatsink (which isnt around to purchase anymore). It transfers out the hot heat instantly so apparently it works decently well compared to regular AS5 stuff.

quizzicus

Post by quizzicus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:46 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:what also works is permanent thermal compound.
For affixing a fan to a heatsink??

:lol:

Cansy

Post by Cansy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:24 am

I'll go look for some zip ties. Thanks for the help :).

jabba

Post by jabba » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:34 am

Since you have mounting holes, get a Zalman NB passive heatsink if it doesn't interfere with that card you have right there.