Replace my DFI chipset HSF!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bob_McBob

Replace my DFI chipset HSF!

Post by Bob_McBob » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Arghasgassdughuighsdg :x. I recently posted about the HSF on my CPU making a lot of noise. After performing extensive scientific analysis (i.e. opening the case and poking the fans), I've discovered the source of that bloody annoying whining! I know the chipset HSFs on DFI boards are pretty loud, but I've never used a case quiet enough to actually hear it. Now that it's a little cooler here and I don't have my ceiling fan on all the time, it's driving me totally nuts.

So, I need suggestions for a chipset HSF replacement. On the DFI nf4 boards, the chipset is directly below the end of the video card, so vertical space is quite limited. I've seen a couple of suggestions for coolers that work well on DFI boards, but I'd like some specific ones rom you guys. I'm also a little bit constrained by living in Canada - the selection is not great here, and most US outfits want ridiculous amounts to ship a little HSF. Hopefully I can find something that works out okay!

Of course, the loudest component in my system after this will be the video card... then the CPU... then... ack, my wallet :o.

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:18 am

I think the standard and easiest solution is to replace it with a Zalman NB47J, and place your video card in the lower PCI-e slot if it doesn't fit in the top one.

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:46 am

This thing gets pretty hot, will a passive solution cut it? Will it definitely not impede my video card in the second PCI-E slot? It looks like it's readily available in Canada, but shipping is still quite a bit. I suppose it would be best to combine an order with a new cooler for my video card.

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:44 am

One of the guys from my local forum did the same thing. It can't be passively cooled with the NB47J, but placing a undervolted 80mm fan above it will improve it's performance drastically. Alternatively try the Thermaltake NB Spirit Cooler.

Atragon

Post by Atragon » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:08 am

I've done the mod in question, I took a NB-47J, cut off a row of pins, and bent the other ones out to make a mini flower. This way I can use the top PCI-E slot for my X800XL with a VF700 on it... which just happens to push air over the chipset heatsink.

According to the ITE Smartguardian software my chipset temperature is 40C and I have no stability issues at all.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:21 am

I also had the "mini-flower" NB47-j for a while with decent temps. Currently i have the gpu mounted in the lower slot aith a zalman heatpipe cooler on it and a NB47J on the chipset, with a 50x10mm fan at 5V blowing at it. The tiny fan only pushes about 2-3CFM but dropped load temps from 65c to 50c.

Here´s a picture of how its currently set up

Another pic, here i still have the 80mm Nexus at full speed blowing at the chipset. Believe it or not the tiny fan at 5V is much quieter and cools much better.

And heres how it used to look with the mutilated heatsink.

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:50 am

How did u squash it like that? U have to heat it up first right?

nici

Post by nici » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:42 am

Not really, its aluminium so it bends quite easily. Just bend one fin at a time. YOu can do it your bare fingers, but some pliers make it more comfortable :wink:

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:37 am

Decisions, decisions :o

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:40 pm

Okay, I've been doing some thinking. It's clear that a cheap passive solution isn't going to cut it, so that's out of the question. However, I am quite keen on the idea of using something like an NB47J with an 80mm fan running at low power. I don't want to run the fan at full power, and I'm not entirely clear on how undervolting works (well, in the physical setup sense). Could anyone point me to some sort of guide?

On another note, I read a post about using ATITool to control the speed of the fan on the X800XL. I tried setting it to 0% for a few seconds, and the difference was insane! It was running around 55% by default, so I changed that to 25% for low-40 temperatures, and the result is very pleasing. However, I'm somewhat concerned that this method may not be providing enough cooling, and it's far from silent (audible over the sound of the case fans on low).

My primary concern is the chipset HSF - it wails like a banshee most of the time, and it's driving me nuts. If everyone agrees it's a good plan, I'm going to place an order for an NB47J and an 80mm Nexus fan. If that goes well, I'll definitely be looking at a replacement HSF for the video card as well - I can buy the VF700 locally, so I don't have to order that right now. After that, the case fans themselves are the loudest component during general use, so there's not much more I can do.

Atragon

Post by Atragon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:12 am

Personally Bob, I would suggest doing both the VM700 and NB-47J at the same time since the flower nature of the VM700 pushes air over the chipset heatsink keeping both of them cooled without an extra fan.

Depending on which card you have, you may not be able to connect the VM700 to the fan header on it, in which case, find a 5V or 7V fan connector, at 12V the VM700 is fairly loud.

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:52 am

Unfortunately, I don't think I can take advantage of the VF700 for chipset cooling, because I'm going to have to put the video card in the second PCI-E slot (so the chipset will be behind it). I don't really want to bend the NB47J around the card just to fit it in the first PCI-E slot.

Also, the VF700 does come with a cable to mod the fan to 5V, but it's apparently possible to wire up the regular connector to a 2 pin female connector (like on the video card). I don't mind a spot of soldering, but I'll see how things go with just the 5V mod first. It occurs to me that my Seasonic PSU has a couple of "fan only" power connectors I can probably use to power the Nexus fan if I do buy it (I'm sure they'll be able to start an 80mm fan).