I visited, learned and took action, what now?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sun.moon

I visited, learned and took action, what now?

Post by sun.moon » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:22 am

Hi,

Having been a regular lurker since several weeks now, and having taken to heart a lot of the test results and advice in forums, I decided to finally do some work on my PC. My old PC was terribly loud. So loud in fact, that I couldn’t watch TV on my new Hauppauge TV Card without being completely annoyed. So I started investigating in the internet, and kept coming back to SPCR. This is just the best site for gaining information about quiet PCs. I thought I would share my experience with those of you who care to read it.

My old PC was a tower (about 7 year old) which did not even allow for a fan to be mounted in the main compartment. Air from the CPU fan just kept circulating inside. (I never did measure the temperatures – wasn’t into that back then…unfortunately no comparison...) The 350W PSU was whirring like mad.

Old system:

• Tower (no name) - LOUD
• 350W PSU (no name) - LOUD
• ASUS P4PE Mainboard
• P4 2,4GHz / 533FSB (w/ Intel cooler) - LOUD
• 1GB Infineon PC2700/333 DDR SDRAM
• Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro (with fan) – fairly LOUD
• Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 80GB ATA 133 HDD - LOUD
• Sony CD R/W
• Philips DVD

The tower was never designed for the components I have now, which I have been continuously upgrading over the years.

So, I thought first things first. I read up on cases and PSUs and decided to go for the Antec SLK3000B and a be-quiet! BQT P5-420W S1.3 PSU. Actually I wanted a Seasonic S12 430W PSU, but I couldn’t find it in Germany (any tips?). The be-quiet! PSU was tested against the Seasonic over here (http://www.alltests.de/hardware/reviews ... 1/nt_1.php - for those of you who can read German), and performed quite well. It IS really quiet indeed. Can anyone comment on their experience with this be-quiet! PSU? I couldn’t find any data concerning efficiency.

Nevertheless, just these two purchases turned my PC into a whole new machine. I was just amazed. Then I started tuning this and that and the other thing. The final result looks like this:

• Antec SLK3000B Midi Tower (I removed the CPU cooling duct and taped the holes, and the holes by the graphic card shut with black electricians tape.)
• Noiseblocker UltraSilentFan SX1 120mm (65 cm/h @ 17 dB/A)*
• Be-quiet! BQT P5-420W S1.3 PSU
• ASUS P4PE Mainboard
• P4 2,4GHz / 533FSB
• Thermalright XP-90 heatsink
• Noiseblocker UltraSilentFan SE2 92mm (64 cm/h @ 22 dB/A)* on CPU heatsink
• 1GB Infineon PC2700/333 DDR SDRAM
• Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
• AeroCool VM-101 fanless graphic card heatsink
• Seagate Barracuda 7000.7 ST3120827AS 120GB SATA HDD
• Sony CD R/W
• Philips DVD
• AirFlow FDD and IDE data cables

*specs from manufacturer – I can’t confirm, but the fans are very very quite. (See http://www.noiseblocker.de/produktmeta_luefter.php)

I moved the Antec 3-speed fan to the front bracket and keep it on low. The Noiseblocker 120mm fan I mounted in a silicon frame on the back. The PSU is also isolate from the case with a silicon frame (overkill?). I have a potentiometer on the rear fan and the CPU fan. Both fans are turned down as low as they can go. I can’t hear them directly. I also took particular care with cable management in order to maximize airflow.

From about a meter away I can hear a very faint hum from the PC, but only when the room is completely still. When I put my ear closer to the case, I really cannot distinguish where the hum is coming from (maybe the PSU?)

Temperatures are at idle as follows: (Ambient temperature is 24 C) CPU 35 C, Motherboard 24 C. When I surf or work on pictures, the temps rise to 39 C and 28 C respectively (only using ASUSprobe). I haven’t done a full load test, but from what I read, these temps are ok. Can someone confirm this?

I am completely satisfied with the results. I wouldn’t know what else to do, apart from water cooling (which is not in my scope). The only thing I am thinking about is maybe a Samsung P80 Series SP1614C SATA drive. From what I’ve read, also in SPRC, they are a bit quieter then the Seagate 7000.7 drives. Any opinions? I only put in the Seagate drive since I got a good deal on it (half price in Ebay, 3 months old, unused, original invoice, etc… - just couldn’t say no).

If anybody has any other advice, it would be welcome.

I would like to thank SPCR and all the forum contributors (to which I may very well belong to in the near future) for an excellent site and excellent advice.

Bye for now,
sun.moon in Germany

p.s. A question of a different nature. Does someone know, if I replace a motherboard with a newer model, can I just hang in the HDD with the existing Windows XP installation, or do I need to do a new Windows XP install?

YegaDoyai

Post by YegaDoyai » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:33 am

I'd say that sounds like a mighty fine rig all round.

As for the XP install, in general, I'd recomend a full install for a fresh MOBO. If it is a similar chipset you may get away with just installing the drivers. It's nothing like as bad as Win98 so you can go ahead and try it first.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:23 pm

Hello and congratulations. :) Your system sounds pretty good on paper... personally I doubt I could bring myself to replace a hard drive just to reduce the noise a bit, and I would most likely try to reduce its noise other ways first. As it is I'm sure your system is already very quiet.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:59 am

sun.moon wrote:I visited, learned and took action, what now?
How about: Enjoy?

Or you could go the way of a lot of regulars here: Keep tinkering to remove another bit of noise.
My next step with your system would be:
HDD Suspension... Show your pics!
As your HD is the most likely candidate for that hum you are still hearing.

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:01 am

I AM enjoying the quiteness :)

And this afternoon I took your advice and suspended my HDD. The difference is unbelievable! Even the search/write/read scratch noise is considerably reduced. Any thoughts of switching to a Samsung p80 are more or less gone. We'll see how fanatic I get :lol:

I also removed the Antec 3 Speed fan from the front, since now there is absolutely nothing blocking airflow. It didn't seem to make a difference to the temperatures, but I'll monitor that.

Now the only noise makers are the 120 Noiseblocker exhaust fan, the 92 Noiseblocker fan on the XP-90 (both are turned down as far as they can go, and my PSU. (I suppose my HDD still makes noise, but it is barely percievable.)

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll share some.

What about putting dampening foam on the inside of the case. Would that make a noticable difference as well? - or is that moving towards obsession??

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:13 am

sun.moon wrote:As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll share some.
www.imageshack.us

Will answers your pic hosting prayers...

Pete

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:20 pm

thats the best site.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:52 pm

Slowly the silent bug will affect you. At first your newly born quiet case will satisfy you. Slowly though, the noise will creep into your thought. Soon the quietest fan will be loud and the madness will infect you.

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:36 am

I could only grin as I read Elixers comment. Somehow I am bound to believe him :)

Thanks for the tip for hosting pics. Here's my attempt:

This is my rig as of my original post: (Notice the cable jungle next to the PSU, I took care of that later)

Here is a close up of the heatsinks and fans. That AeroCool graphic HS is huge (and quiet), but there is still enough room for airflow.

Here is a shot of the potentiometers which I mounted on the backside to control the exhaust and cpu fans. I actually don't adjust them anymore, but they are still easily accessable if need be. I'm quite happy with this setup, it was very inexpensive. (And proudly to say, my idea :lol: )

A shot of the cable work to relieve the PSU, a tip from looking at pics on this site...

I did mention that I taped up the cpu and graphic intake holes...

So, now it gets interesting. A shot of the rig after I suspended the HDD

A closeup of the suspension. I used about 1 meter of elastic band from a sewing store. That whole contraption is just one uncut piece of elastic band.

A closeup of the suspended HDD

A closeup of the suspension work below the HDD. I compressed (for lack of a better word) the lower stabilizers to 1. stabilize the suspension, and 2. to prevent downward slippage in the clip mounts.

A closeup of a clip mount. It is a shelf fastener which I found at a hardware store. The elastic band is simply fed through - that's why I compressed the lower stabilizers.

This is my first suspension attempt. Maybe I will do some fine tuning. The only thing I am wondering about is if the elastic band might chafe on the edges of the metal holes it passes through in the FDD cage. I'll have to watch that.

So, what do you all think about a beginners job?

Feedback is welcome !

spworley

Post by spworley » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:39 pm

Nice pics!

You can reduce noise just a fraction AND increase airflow by using some tinsnips, a nibbler, or even wire cutters and removing the exhaust fan's hexagonal mesh grill. That grill isn't too restrictive, but the clearer the airflow, the better.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:15 pm

thats some sick suspension.

I like that. has a massive amount of rediculous style.

Yeah, I hAVe to cut my antec grill as well. I have avoided it so far. I wonder whats a good alternative besides completely exposed (i have a papst on it, at full speed it goes 2x the rpm's of a nexus easy)

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:02 pm

I thought about cutting out the exhaust grill, but when I stop the fan, I do not hear any difference at all. Maybe the grill creates a little air turbulence, but it is so minimal, that I can't notice it. I don't think that justifies cutting out the grill. Anyhow, I can't bring myself to physically "damage" my nice new SLK3000B case :).

I'll let it age for a while, maybe then my attitude will change... :wink:

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Next step: Just ordered a Thermalright SI-120 Heatsink with a Pabst 4412 F/2GLL 120mm fan to replace the Thermalright XP-90 with the Noiseblocker fan. The SI-120 appears to have less air resistance than the XP-90, or even the XP-120. Also a larger fan turning slower should reduce noise. The 92mm Noiseblocker fan is just a bit too audible. Also got a second Pabst F/2GLL to replace the Noiseblocker SX1 exhaust fan. Not that I am not happy with the Noiseblocker fans, I don't hear that clicking sound at low speeds that a lot of threads were complaining about. Just thought I would try something else. Tried to find Nexus fans in Germany, but that proved to be difficult (the only ones I found were too expensive). Also went for the Seasonic S12 430 PSU to replace the be-quite! PSU - just to see if there is a difference. The stuff I don't end up using I'll just unload on E-bay. This weekend I'll put it all together...

This is all getting a bit extreme. Where will it end? With a Samsung P80 HDD ? :wink:

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:49 pm

It'll end when everything becomes passive . . . passive PSU, giant passive tower CPU heatsink, maybe 1 nexus fan left. Then you'll get software to slow down your optical drives . . . oh, and there will be 2.5 inch notebook drives suspended :D

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:47 pm

stromgald wrote:...
And after that... when the bug Really bites...

:lol:

Pete

shanizar

Post by shanizar » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:18 am

One more thing. If you're still wondering how to get seasonic psu's and nexus fans in germany.... Behold, I bring you this

(I wish I lived in Germany, 30 euros to ship to norway...)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 pm

BrianE wrote:Hello and congratulations. :) Your system sounds pretty good on paper... personally I doubt I could bring myself to replace a hard drive just to reduce the noise a bit, and I would most likely try to reduce its noise other ways first. As it is I'm sure your system is already very quiet.
loudest things in a case: the vid card mini fan, then the psu.
most annoying sound in a case: either a crap maxtor or an ati min fan on a vid card.

id say a crap hd has more grating whine than anything out there.

if i find a family members drive making that whiring whine, I chuck it on the ground to kill it. yes i do replace them, but still i chuck it on the ground to make sure no one ever uses it again.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:32 pm

sun.moon wrote:
This is all getting a bit extreme. Where will it end? With a Samsung P80 HDD ? :wink:
p80 is a great hd. if it is Nidec. otherwise, it's a crap shoot. (and i do mean crap for most of the non-nidec drives)

i have a 120 and a 160.

BUT, if 80 gigs is good enough for you, youll want to go out and get 2.5 hd. get the fastest one SPCR recommends that you can afford. I personally am aiming my sights on the 120gb 2.5 inch drive that was reviewed on here a short while ago. It is freakin expensive, but it also has as much hd space as i have now, which is more than I need by a bit.

now that is going crazy. Take the old hd out and buy a swapable shell for an external hd. then you can store whatever you want on it. get the cheap usb 2.0 one.

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:17 pm

shanizar wrote:One more thing. If you're still wondering how to get seasonic psu's and nexus fans in germany....
Thanks, but in the meantime I have a S12 430W PSU. In the last couple of months, Seasonic contracted an exclusive distributor in Germany - MaxPoint. The S12s are all over the place now - mostly online shops. I got mine at e-bug.de for 68 Eur. They have raised their prices in the meantime :( .

I also had to exchange the PSU since the SATA connector was defective. MaxPoint handled this fast, friendly and free.

~El~Jefe~ wrote:p80 is a great hd. if it is Nidec. otherwise, it's a crap shoot. (and i do mean crap for most of the non-nidec drives)

i have a 120 and a 160.

BUT, if 80 gigs is good enough for you
Thanks for the tip, but actually I meant the P80 line, not a 80 GB drive. I would then want a 160GB SATA drive.

Is there any way to ensure that I get a drive with a Nidec motor when ordering? Or is that that just good luck / bad luck?

BTW, since posting this original thread, I have made some mods to my system. No time now, but I will update this.

wainwra
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by wainwra » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:52 am

sun.moon wrote:BTW, since posting this original thread, I have made some mods to my system. No time now, but I will update this.
Please do! Very much looking forward to it.

BenW

Post by BenW » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:40 am

sun.moon wrote:Is there any way to ensure that I get a drive with a Nidec motor when ordering? Or is that that just good luck / bad luck?
Its just luck unless the people you're buying from can be persuaded to check the drive for you before shipping.

Have to say my samsung is a JVC and its unaudiable over my 2 nexus at 5V and SilentX 80mm in the PSU