newbie needs help choosing a pc case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RowanDDR

newbie needs help choosing a pc case

Post by RowanDDR » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:44 am

Hi I'm new here, and new to silent PC stuff...

Bascailly I'm looking to replace my PC's case at the end of this month (its ancient), my goal being to reduce noise as much possible. I know that my gfx card fan, HDs, etc all affect noise levels, but as far as picking a quiet case goes, is it as simple as picking one of the highest rated ones from www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page2.html that suits my budget and form factor requirements?

I was thinking of getting a silentium, but now I found your site (via google) I see you only give it 5/10 for quietness, whereas other cases achieve higher marks. So first of all, thanks for saving me from buying that!

Maybe I should wait for your review of the Antec P180 before dusting off my credit card..?

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:59 am

First and foremost:

Welcome to SPCR!

The Antec P180 has a two-part SPCR review here and more extensively here.

Have you looked at the Cases & Damping article list?. And check the Cases & Damping Forum for lots of discussion on this and many other cases.

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:02 am

Thanks, I feel welcome. :D

Ah great, reviews have now been done. A thrilling read that had me on the edge of my seat, but is someone going to update the comparison table (www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page2.html) so we can see how quiet this case is compared to others?

steveo

Post by steveo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:50 pm

I use an Antec SLK3700-BQE, and I absolutely love it. I haven't been around the P180, and I am sure it is a very nice case, but I am confident at this point that when I build another PC, I will use Antec, and most likely use the exact case I have now.

I would say that any Antec product you get you would be very happy with, but the particular model should be picked based on what you need it for. I'm a multimedia/homerecorder, so I appreciate all the 5.25" bays, and all of the harddrive bays. Also, the 90 degree bay that this case has makes removing/installing harddrives an absolute breeze (30 seconds).

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:31 pm

The Cases & Damping article starts "Cases don't make noise by themselves." So a quiet case is one that doesn't amplify or transmit the vibration of internal components, reduces the transmission of interior noise, and allows adequate airflow to facilitate use of quiet cooling pieces.

To achieve a very quiet PC, advice around here is to start with or convert to quiet and cool running components, which makes those jobs of the case that much less challenging.

The Antec Sonata is rightly considered around here to be not particularly quiet by SPCR standards, especially in that last category of adequate airflow. My experience mirrors that, but having evolved and modified to a set of quiet and mostly cool components (the P4 Northwood isn't bad) and their attachments, my sig system is now more then sufficiently low-temperature and low-noise for my environment. And it's been fun to test and improve case airflow.

When the Recommended Cases list is updated, the P180 will very likely be considered better then anything else on the list, but that doesn't make it everybody's perfect case. Although our cases are not high on the list, Steveo notes above how the SLK3700-BQE works well for his needs, and I like the smaller height of the Sonata since it sits on the desk. And I still lust after that Fong Kai FK330 case. I suspect that most satisfied SPCRers could identify personal reasons why they prefer their cases.

What particular considerations do you have for your case? What plans do you have to reduce component noise or otherwise change/upgrade?

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:33 am

P180 it is, thanks guys! I do appreciate that getting a new case is the start of my silencing mission, not the end.

My current system spec is:

CPU: Pentium4 3ghz (478 style)
For some reason I replaced the perfectly fine default heatsink/fan with a chinese zalman clone one (which I fitted with arctic silver 5) .. somethings not right as it often starts overheating badly when I run something CPU intensive for more than 5mins (i.e. 74°C+++). I broke the original fan docking arms in the process of removing it so I can't go back hehe.

MOBO: Asus P4P800S-X
RAM: 512m x2 (DDR400)
VGA CARD: nvidia geforce4 ti42000 64mb
DVD WRITER: NEC ND-1300A
CD WRITER: Plextor 8/20
HD:40gig IDE, 8gig IDE (both use a round ide)
PSU: Enermax active PFC (cant remember exact model, bought around a year ago)
OTHER: SCSI card, DVB-T card, NIC card, soundcard, 17" DVI TFT, usb hub, midi keyboard, keyboard (duh), mouse (duh), speakers.. etc =]

Once I fit the new case, I'll see what seems to be causing the most noise then look at what to tackle next. Perhaps an AC silencer thing for the gfx card. Also I could get rid of my 2nd HD, and get rid of my CD writer (the DVD writer does CDs too)

A bit off topic.. can anyone recommend decent PC workstation furniture? Check this out

EDIT BY ADMIN:
EMBED LONG URLS! IT'S BEEN DONE FOR YOU THIS TIME. NO FURTHER WARNINGS -- NEXT TIME, YOUR POST WILL BE DELETED W/O WARNING.

Shame they discontinued a silmar model which had adjustible shelves (i.e. one for the PC to sit on)
Last edited by RowanDDR on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JacobD

Post by JacobD » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:03 am

Well if you have the money to spend go ahead :D I've bought an Antech 3000B and I'm quite happy with that. It's cheap as chips and you could use the money saved to buy a better PSU/Graphics card/CPU cooler

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:41 pm

Oops.. my current pc case is 42cm high, and it just fits under my desk...

According to the P180 review on this site, its 21.3" (54cm) high. Big boo boo! :? :cry:

I'm guessing this thing only comes in one size? Is there a name for the height of case I'm looking for, i.e. midi tower or something?

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:05 am

*bump* - please help, I just need to know the name for the height of case I'm looking for.. is it "midi tower"?

its pay day 2moro so I wanna know what i'm looking for :D

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:45 am

Greetings,

The Evercase 4252 is 16.8" (42.672cm) high. Is this short enough to fit? It is an excellent case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811127060

This NewEgg page erroneously lists this 4253BB-53 case with (just) front USB ports -- it in fact also has audio and one Firewire ports on the front. The side photo has the only hint of this -- there are four sets of wires: one for the switches & LED's, one for the USB's, one for the Firewire, and the last one for the audio headers.

If this one is too tall, and you have a MicroATX motherboard, then you can use a MicroATX case -- the Evercase mATX towers are 13.9" (35.3cm). But if you have a full sized ATX motherboard, then you'll have to look at the 4252.

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:50 am

Thanks. I'm in the UK so I ordered it directly from Ever Case UK:

£38.19 including...

The case itself (I went for black/silver)
Hard disc drive gromits for my 2 discs
Adjustable CPU fan duct (not sure if this'll make it more noisy)
Next day delivery! Perfect coz I have the day off work.

Nice and light on my wallet, yey!

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:57 am

Ok, its arrived, and I've now transplanted everything over into it.

My PC now seems more noisy than with my last (ancient) case(!) ???
Cooler though, when idle (52.C). And no longer overheats when transcoding a DVD.. although it still comes very close (69.C vs 73.C+)

It didnt come with any fans, so I've just got 1x crappy 120mm as the intake and no other fans (except obviosly the one on the CPU heatsink and the ones in the PSU & gfx card). Mabye I should use my 120mm fan as an exhaust instead of a front intake?

I'm not sure which component is making the most noise.. is there a safe way to turn e.g. the CPU fan on only?

When my PC at work idles, I can see thru the case window that the CPU fan shuts off.. only starting up again when I do something CPU intensive. Is this a feature thats controlled through the BIOS? But my CPU fan here at home never seems to stop - its a PA9C-42CU (www.overclockers.ru/lab/15721.shtml).
Last edited by RowanDDR on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:33 pm

Um . . . thats running pretty hot even for a Pentium 4 3Ghz. I'd aim for temperatures at 42ºC or lower for idle temps, and 60ºC max under load. You might want to look into getting a better CPU heatsink/fan or reattaching your current heatsink/fan with arctic silver 5 or arcitc ceramique for the thermal compound. What heatsink/fan do you have on your CPU now?

And also, put that 120mm fan on the exhaust and see how your temps change. It should be better. Generally, exhaust fans should be employed before intake fans.

To find out whats making the noise, open up ur case while its running and stop various fans (push down on the middle, not the blades :wink: ) and see which fans are the noisiest. If its none of the fans you can get to, its most likely the PSU or hard drive.

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:15 pm

The most annoying (highest pitched whiney) sound is coming from my main HD it seems. Its only 8gig, so ancient, well overdue for a replacement (then I can ditch my secondary 40gig HD too). Fan/heatsink on my CPU mentioned above. Yes I did fit it with Arctic 5. Strangly, my brother has the same heatsink & cpu, and his runs nice and cool, in the 40's.

I've moved the fan to exhast now.. still idling at 52.C though (up to 66.C in the madness of transcoding a DVD). Its actually an 110mm fan. A 120mm one would be quieter I guess? Its not noisy at all really, anyway.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:28 pm

If the 110mm fan is quiet enough for you, then you can leave it. Quiet cooling is all relative to the user really. An 80GB Samsung drive would probably be best for your needs. You can find good hard drives on the recommended list (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article29-page2.html).

As far as the heatsink and fan goes, I'd replace it. Since its a somewhat old computer skt478 P4, you might not want to go out and spend alot on a really silent cooler. An Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4 Ultra/TC/TC L or Zalman 7000B-AlCu are what I would recommend. I have the Ultra in my old Dell Computer which also has a skt478 P4. I can't tell you the temps since Dell gets mobos without temp sensors to save money, but I haven't had any issues with clock throttling or overheating it.
I broke the original fan docking arms in the process of removing it so I can't go back hehe.

I'm not sure if that means you broke part of the heatsink or the retention bracket. If its the bracket, you'll have to get one from ebay. I found that out when I had to replace the Dell proprietary retention bracket in my old computer. They weren't easy to find at the time, but I think now jab-tech carries them.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:10 pm

Hello,

You should definitely use the 120mm as an exhaust (instead of an intake), and you might well be able to undervolt the fan. What PS are you using? What is the CPU HSF, and what is the video card?

To help figure out what is making the most noise, you can stop the fans, one by one, with the eraser of a pencil pushed onto the hub -- just avoid hitting the blades. They all may be contributing something...the thing is, the Evercase has excellent air flow, but this also means that it lets more noise out. So, you'll want to at least reduce the fan noises. Old HD's that need replacing anyway are also going to get a lot quieter if you choose wisely.

RowanDDR

Post by RowanDDR » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:34 pm

My PSU is an "active PFC" Enermax one, about a year old. Its got a little knob on it to control the speed. Theres no point using the slowest setting at yet, because the low pitch noise generated at top speed partially masks the more annoying HD noise atm!

Videocard & HSF are mentioned above.