computer in a bathroom - is it safe?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

VERiON

computer in a bathroom - is it safe?

Post by VERiON » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:08 am

I was thinking about putting my htpc in bathroom :D (which is on the other side of the wall than my TV & stereo)... not because of noise (it is pretty quiet), it's because that I don't have space for htpc (even small factor one) in my media rack under the tv.

There will be no problem with:
- shock hazard (htpc will be powered from the same wall socket that tv, non conductive MDF custom case)
- cable lenght (video, audio, Ir = max 2m lenght)
- no DVD-rom drive near the tv (i don't use it, everything is on the hdd)
- no usb socket near the tv (i don't use it, htpc is totally controlled with remote, no keyboard, no mouse).

Only one problem - bathroom humidity - is it (relatively) safe for hardware (for mobo, psu, hdd, etc.)?
It is not expensive hardware (pIII 733, kyro 2, 512 MB ram, HDD 160 GB), so I can give it a try - but I don't want it to fail in a few days.

What do you think?

Stjopatron

Post by Stjopatron » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:43 am

I am not sure if humid air is unhealthy for it, but condensation absolutely will be.
Once I had a garden outdoor computer that I during night would cover under a plastic sheet. One morning I was not careful enough so that a single raindrop from previous night fell on to the circuit board. I saw it happen (kind of in slow-motion) and the motherboard got instantly killed.
One tiny raindrop, that was…

So, do everything you can to avoid condensation inside the case that might drop on to any electronics.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:56 pm

You've got a point.
But I think condensation point is when hot steam hits really cold surface (like bathroom mirror). I never had condensation on my bathroom mdf shelf, so maybe there will be no condensation in htpc mdf case.

spworley

Post by spworley » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:53 pm

Actually, you're lucky. Condensation is NOT a problem if the computer is on. A computer, even a low power one, is considerably hotter than the ambient temperature, and the most sensitive electronics tend to be the hottest. This will completely prevent condensation, even in pretty heavy shower fog.

But, the only worry, if the computer is OFF, it can indeed collect moisture since any cool bare metal is a great dew catcher. You can eliminate most of the danger by using a fine mesh fan grille, which will prevent water DROPLETS from reaching inside. The biggest worry is condensation on the case, accumulating into drips, and dribbling down into vent holes or whatnot. But even this will be minor I think... it would be smart not to power on your cold PC for a few hours after a long shower. However, as a HTPC, I suspect you're going to leave it on 24/7, so no worry.

Anyway, don't worry about condensation or water vapor in your PC, even in a steamy bathroom. Your computer will be the driest thing in the room because of its natural heat.

spworley

Post by spworley » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 pm

VERiON wrote:You've got a point.
But I think condensation point is when hot steam hits really cold surface (like bathroom mirror). I never had condensation on my bathroom mdf shelf, so maybe there will be no condensation in htpc mdf case.
Actually steam doesn't condense on your bathroom mirror because it's cold.. the mirror is the same temperature as your walls or your towels. The mirror shows condensation much better because it forms droplets (the smooth glass encourages surface tension to make "balls" of water) AND then when you view the mirror, you see the droplets both directly but also their reflection, so their apparent density is doubled.
Sorry for the physics sidebar..

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 pm

thank you!

I think I'll better buy a bigger media rack to fit htpc in my living room.

:D

Stjopatron

Post by Stjopatron » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:56 pm

VERiON wrote:But I think condensation point is when hot steam hits really cold surface (like bathroom mirror).
Actually, only a few degrees difference is enough to create condensation. Spworley is in his descriptions absolutely correct. The reason I panicked is that in Britain we build bathrooms without any heating and maybe three outer walls. Instead of heating we put in a cosy carpet. So in winter we have condensation absolutely everywhere (even in a computer that is switched off, I guess) that in February starts to grow into mould. We're probably the only country in the world still building basement flats.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:22 am

Well... lucky me.
I my country we have regulations that specify NO LESS than 25'C in a bathroom.

:D

But I will skip bathroom pc idea anyway.

michal_t

Post by michal_t » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:59 am

spworley wrote:Actually steam doesn't condense on your bathroom mirror because it's cold. the mirror is the same temperature as your walls or your towels.
Nope, water condenses on the surface of the mirror because the mirror is colder than the air.
spworley wrote:The mirror shows condensation much better...
This is right.

VERiON, specification sheets of most PC components state that they should be operated below 90% relative humidity (non condensing). Relative humidity in a bathroom when showering goes above 90% and it is condensing as well.

Relative humidity and condensation on a mirror are explained here:
http://www.easteagles.com/hum_dewpoint.html
I my country we have regulations that specify NO LESS than 25'C in a bathroom.
Not where I used to live ;)