P180 want to replace stock heatsink / fan

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

drewmacphee

P180 want to replace stock heatsink / fan

Post by drewmacphee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:04 am

Hey gang,

I've got a nice p180 with an a64 3000+ and even with the cool 'n quiet turned on that damn stock CPU fan is running at 3100 rpm idle.. though the CPU never gets above 30c!

I'm using the stock 120mm case fans on the lower setting both on exhaust.. I don't want to change this as my apartment is very dusty and I only want intake through the front filters.. so the in out method is a no go for me.

What heatsink / fan combo would you guys recommend?
I was thinking a zalman or a xp-120 (not sure which fan to put with it).
Would a xp-120 work fanless?

The idea is I can sleep with it at the bottom of my bed.. I'm 90% sure the only thing I'm really hearing is that stock CPU fan. The PSU's fan barely runs in that bottom chamber with that 120 sitting in front of it.

Thanks

BenW

Post by BenW » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:30 am

You'll find that once you've sorted the cpu fan you'll then be 90% sure the noise is coming from the case fans/hard drive or whatever it is.

I'm running the xp120 fanless but thats with a 2.26 P4 which runs relitavly cool (I think). Idles at about 32 with fans at 5V.

As for the cpu, take a look at the Scythe Ninja. Probably got a better chance of running that fanless.

But then you're going to find the hard drives nosiy, cheap method is to hang them from a part of the case with elastic.

But then you're going to find the case fans noisy. Nexus 120mm at 5V are VERY quiet but you might need 12V for more cooling power.

One other thing, do you have a chipset fan on the motherboard because chances are thats noisier than the cpu cooler

drewmacphee

Post by drewmacphee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:49 am

Hard drives are in the bottom wind tunnel.. nice quiet seagates.. can't hear them at all.

No fan on mobo..

My cpu runs at 23c idle with cool 'n quiet turned on.. with stock AMD heatsink/fan.

I'll consider the case fans once I get the CPU noise out of the way.

Doesn't have to be fanless.. just throwing that out there to see if anyone's doing it easily.

darthan

Post by darthan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:01 am

Yep, Scythe Ninja fanless in P180 with stock fans exhausting on low. And that's with an A643200 (overclocked). I can't get the temp above 40C running two instances of CPUburn. So yeah, Scythe Ninja is your best option.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: P180 want to replace stock heatsink / fan

Post by lenny » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:51 am

drewmacphee wrote:I've got a nice p180 with an a64 3000+ and even with the cool 'n quiet turned on that damn stock CPU fan is running at 3100 rpm idle.. though the CPU never gets above 30c!
Is the stock fan a temperature controlled fan? I never plugged mine in so I never bothered to find out. Does the RPM go up under load?

There are a couple of things you can try without spending any money.

1. Speedfan.
2. BIOS fan speed control if available

Speedfan will allow you finer control over the fan speed.

Best part is, you don't even need to open up your system to try it out.

A new HSF (or HS alone in the case of the Ninja) is definitely a good choice for a quieter computer, but you may want to try this out first. You may find another noise source that needs silencing :-) What's your graphics card?

drewmacphee

Post by drewmacphee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:27 am

I tried speedfan.. but they don't seem to support soltek motherboards..

I will admit I haven't done much snooping around bios.. aside from making sure cool 'n quiet was on.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:36 am

AMD 3000+ (venice) doesn't need much cooling at all. I run mine in a P180 with the Scythe Ninja heatsing. Top fan is removed and hole blocked, and rear fan swapped for a nexus running at close to 5V. As if that wasn't enough, my CPU is overclocked to 2.25GHz and there is a passive 6600GT sitting right beneath the Ninja.