Does the P180 rear fan grill need removing?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

soujir0u

Does the P180 rear fan grill need removing?

Post by soujir0u » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:51 pm

Ok I've just finished migrating my system to an Antec P180.

Now the loudest component in my system is the rear case fan - a Nexus 120mm running at 7v and mounted with EAR grommets (which was hard as hell to install). I have the top blow hole covered up.

My question is whether removing the rear fan grill will help? Or will it not make a difference as it's already very open?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:40 pm

This thread might be of interest.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:01 pm

Before you start cutting, consider the quality of the noise you are hearing. If it sounds mostly like wind turbulence, you could trying slowing the fan down a bit and listen to what happens. If it sounds more like a lower freq hmmmmmmm then it's probably not going to go away even with another fan because it's cavity resonance you're hearing -- ie, your system is quiet enough now, so you can hear this effect. You may never have noticed it as a specific effect till now...

If the noise goes away (mostly) when you open the side cover, then it's CR for sure.

A small amount of damping material applied to the inside of the side panel could help a lot.

Look in the Cases: Basics & Recomm. article for details about CR.

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:51 pm

It seems to be turbulence, if I lower the voltage to 5v it does get quieter.

And if I turn just the rear case fan off completely, it is much quieter.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:01 pm

Ah just cut it off.. I did it on my P180, put some rubber u-mould on the edge, and it looks much nicer than the grill and certainly wont increase noise :)

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:42 pm

Ok, I just recently uncovered the top blow hole and the noise from the rear case fan area has dropped a lot! Maybe it was CR after all?

Now I just have a filter stuck on it to prevent dust from getting in. Temps still appear to be the same so it doesn't look like the airlow path has been affected much.