What would be the next step?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BenW

What would be the next step?

Post by BenW » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:24 pm

Have been silencing the computer for about a year now and its very quiet at day time. BUT when it gets quiet (Night time!) its more noticable than i'd like

SPECS
Silverstone TJ-04 with fan grills removed
2.26Ghz P4
Thermalright XP120 ducted to rear case fan
2*120mm nexus with 5V/12V switch
Gigabyte mobo (Fanless northbridge)
Radeon 9800Pro with thermaltake schooner
Samsung Spinpoint 160GB (JVC) suspended with elastic
SilentX 300W PSU

Think thats the lot, what would be the next step to take? If its going to be PSU then i'd like something with a bit more future proofing

BenW

Post by BenW » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:27 am

Anyone?

Thanks

snowman59

Post by snowman59 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:29 pm

You've done pretty much everything that people on this site do in terms of silencing techniques. One thing to remember though, silence is achieved more easily through components and not other silencing techniques like ducting etc. although it can help some.

I would recommend you look at acoustic foam, barrier and dampening sheets as your last hope for acheiving your desired level of silence. There is not much you can do short of replacing components for queiter ones like a new PSU or a passive GPU. I was planning on using a combination of dampening sheet, acoustic barrier and acoustic foam on the left case door, top, bottom and back. And using just the dampening and barrier on the front and right side door. The right amount of stuff cost about $60 - 75 from McMaster Carr and actually comes out cheaper than AcoustiPack. I don't know how good it would work though.

~Best of luck to you.