christmas project still not running

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kitts

christmas project still not running

Post by Kitts » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:03 am

I have built a shuttle with my christmas presents but this is where things go wrong.

ST61G4 barebones shuttle
Pentium 4 prescot 3.00Ghz
2 gig crucial ram
200gig Seagate SATA HDD
Pioneer DVD-Writer

Everything is listed as compatable each item was bought by a different person but I cannot load XP pro on the shuttle.

The shuttle cannot see the HDD yes RAID is enabled in the bios. I have swapped ram around and swapped ram with another PC. The HDD I have form ated on my other pc plus my tower has no problem seeing it,
Leave me with the CPU and Motherboard I have removed the heatsink and reset it ( this is hard to do wrong its a pipes heatsink)

The computer boots up will run for hours idling put in the XP disk and when it gets to pressing f6 this passes without allowing you to select the drivers.

I have removed teh floppy ( that is connected tempory to try and install the drivers) I was suggested to try using the slipstream route so tried that sadly 4 cds later it still fails to go past the loading files seems to stick there, this has made friends accuse the system of freezing which is very hard to check as until its o got the OS I have no mouse.

Is there anyone else having these problems is it a faulty motherboard, The shop where the barebones was bought from have said they will check the motherboard buit if it passes I will be xharged a percentage of teh cost.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kizz

Post by Kizz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:57 am

The fact that the PC boots seems to indicate that the components are working..for the most part. Are you sure of the integrity of the installer disk? I have experienced problems with an install (not XP but the theory applies) when there was a a smudge on the disk :?. It may seem dumb, but it might work.

The only other suggestion I can make is start from scratch, ensure that only the bare minimum of components are installed, and work from there. Have you tested the PC with another HD, or tested the current HD in another setup?

One thing that seems odd is that you say you have RAID enabled in the BIOS, yet you only have one HD? Installing a friend's computer before xmas I experienced something that seems similar to your problem because RAID was enabled as default in the BIOS (?). Unless you have two HDs try disabling RAID and changing it to the default/single HD option (may be IDE or similar). Or is it RAID drivers you are attempting to install from floppy? (If not which drivers?)

Hope this helps

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:57 am

Enabling the RAID would be a silly thing to do. Wipe it all and start from scratch.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:58 pm

I experienced similar problems that were eventually traced to a defective factory Windows XP OEM disk. I solved the problem by having the disk resurfaced for a small fee by a CD exchange store.

Kitts

Post by Kitts » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:26 pm

I was following the instructions for this ST61G4 shuttle from http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq ... %20XPC.htm
This particular case has no room for two HDD as it has card readers in the other bay. The drivers was on floppy but pressing f6 didn't allow you the pages to select the SATA drivers. I have also tried with the RAID disabled same thing. I have tried my windows 2000 tonight mainly coz I was wanting it working with any OS now Linux will be the next one to try. The motherboard sees the DVD drive and nothing else with RAID enabled or disabled. I have tried new cables where I can some are imossible to change without changing the PSU. I have tried placing the SATA drive on SATA2 on the board same thing. Exchanged ram from another PC it looks like I need to have the shuttles motherboard checked from the shop where I bought it. I have tried an IDE HDD in and the Motherboard can see that but that is only a 5 gig one and very old.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:54 pm

Hang on, you were right to install the RAID drivers, or you would have been if the installation procedure they had listed worked for you. Right now you don't have the drivers for the SATA installed because it didn't stop to let you install them, correct?

It's a problem with the motherboard or installation procedure, http://www.sourcesupport.com/w/shuttlecalllog.html i'm assuming your a septic so that'd be the right link for you to use.

Also google for other people having trouble installing the drivers, if you're having problems then someone else will have had them and found a way to fix it.

Kitts

Post by Kitts » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 am

Thanks Bob I have googled for others with my problem there seems to be a few issues with the SATA drivers. The book with my system says Sil3514 the drivers on hte CD say sil3114. Seem sothers have had a job finding drivers for thh 3514, even microsoft made an error and caused a few to not boot after updating SATA drivers.

Just bought new floppies as all my floppies are old and even the new floppy drive has started to refuse to format them.

I have borrowed the floppy drive from my PC to connect to the shuttle now.

Thanks for all the help I have filled in the form for shuttle aswell but heard nothing back from them.

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:20 pm

Kitts, disable the RAID that everyone is talking about. I had a similar problem on my p4c800e-deluxe as well as my asus a8n-sli deluxe.

If you're not using RAID, disable RAID. Enable RAID if your floppy drive is working and f6 allows you to install the drivers, otherwise windows WILL hang during your install.

In the bios options, there should be an option for how you want to boot, with an IDE boot option of either pata, pata+sata, or sata support. I don't know the menu's in your shuttle or on that specific chipset, so either read the manual or just go through all the menus. You must choose pata+sata or sata support so the operating system "sees" the sata hard drive as an ide drive and allows you to install windows xp "normally" like if you had a pata hard drive.

hopefully this helps.

Kitts

Post by Kitts » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:48 pm

slashdotcomma wrote: In the bios options, there should be an option for how you want to boot, with an IDE boot option of either pata, pata+sata, or sata support. I don't know the menu's in your shuttle or on that specific chipset, so either read the manual or just go through all the menus. You must choose pata+sata or sata support so the operating system "sees" the sata hard drive as an ide drive and allows you to install windows xp "normally" like if you had a pata hard drive.

hopefully this helps.
No mention in Bios of SATA or PATA only options for bootup are
floppy
LS120
hard disk
cdrom
zip100
USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
LAN
disabled

infact most of my bios pages are very much like the ones on shuttle website I linked to earlier except I have never managed to have the access tot he pages to load the SATA drivers.

Seems many have had problems especially with XP and SP2.

Here is hoping they get back to me sometime soon from the tech team at shuttle

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Nagging at them is a good idea, and if they don't fix it then return it to the point of sale and demand a refund as it's not suitable for it's purpose.

Kitts

Post by Kitts » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:00 pm

The point of purchase have already told me that they will check the motherboard and if it checks out ok then I will be charged a percentage of the items cost for testing. I still end up with a shuttle not loading the drivers I tried to get the HDD changed to a IDE one saying it wasn't compatable due to not being able to load the drivers and was told that the HDD was compatable.

I seem to be in a no win situation save upto buy another HDD seems to be my only option so my christmas project looks like it can still be a project in the coming months.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:19 am

I found this page that seems to have some more data on your shuttle...

How many SATA ports do you have on the board?

Looks like it's 2 from a silicon image RAID chipset.

If that's the case you don't want RAID enabled, but it would probably need the drivers during windows install.

Is the SATA drive found during POST? If so it has found the controller, if not then the BIOS isn't set up correctly.

Kitts

Post by Kitts » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:21 am

The SATA drive isn't found at all. It is connected into the first SATA1

I have a temporary floppy drive fitted went to ARia and bought it just to install XP with no luck F6 is completely ignored. Tried two keyboards wireless and wired same problem.