I want to separate my HDDs

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

El Doug

I want to separate my HDDs

Post by El Doug » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:53 am

How feasable would it be to get a 2-4 drive sata enclosure and stick it in a desk cabinet? the cages of all the models ive looked at have miniature fans that look as if theyll whine quite a bit. but i figure if i keep the cabinet closed and line the bottom with carpet for vibration's sake, i should be ok - is this a valid assumption?

the idea behind this isolation, aside from silencing, is also to have less heat and less restricted airflow in the computer case, allowing for even less fan noise on that front. am I on the right track, or am I just being silly?

zhenya

Re: I want to separate my HDDs

Post by zhenya » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:28 pm

I think you're on the right track. When I came to that realization myself, it ended up with me putting a file server in the basement. Now I only need one small drive in my main system.

The main problem with SATA or Firewire external enclosures is that you have a significant limitation on cable length, which for me meant I couldn't get an enclosure like that far enough away.

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:23 pm

well, i tested the cabinet under this desk by sticking old carpet square samples into it and running my P3 in there - couldnt be heard, even with its fans going full blast. so i feel confident in it's silencing capabilities - and since its in-desk, the 3' eSATA cable should work just fine

i considered the networking, but i have no spare computers, and feel that a $200 total setup cost of an enclosure would be more economical.