My new PC is Hot and Loud in my P180

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Salameh

My new PC is Hot and Loud in my P180

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:14 am

Specs:

P180 case=>stock fans, no vga duct.
3800x2 Dual Core =>stock
xfx 7800GT factory OC=>stock
A8N SLI-Premium
1x 250GB Seagate HDD in lower bay
550W Antec TruePower 2.0 PSU
2GB Geil Ram.

Obviously I can't expect miracles with a basically stock setup but CPUs temp at idle is around 52C while the 7800GT was around 55C, at idle. Playing a game, they both shot up to mid 60s.

The real trouble is the side panel of the case is quite warm to the touch, upon opening, the inside of the side panel is really hot. The steel chasis where the *empty* HDD cage is also extremely hot to touch, so much so I can't hold my finger there for very long.

Possible casuses for this problem are the lower HDD fan doesn't usually turn on at all upon startup unless I touch it, but can that one little HDD really be the cause?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:20 am

:?

ok, upon rebooting and leaving the side panel off for a minute the HDD cage is actually touchable, warm but I can hold my hand there fine. The CPU temp is now ~42C While GPU is 51C. Hmm still a bit high and I want to keep the side panel on obviously...

aeropenny

Re: My new PC is Hot and Loud in my P180

Post by aeropenny » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:05 am

Salameh wrote:Any thoughts?
The GPU temps are fine I would've thought, but the CPU you'd expect to idle in the 30's.

It was a hot day in Syd today - what's your ambient temp? Do you have aircon? My case panels get quite warm to the touch on hot days.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:28 am

Ambient right now is ~31C

CPU is ~47C
GPU is ~53

No aircon.

The fact it should be in the 30s is a little worrying.

scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:00 am

There is something defintely wrong with the CPU cooler. are you sure that you have attached it correctly ?

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 am

scorp wrote:There is something defintely wrong with the CPU cooler. are you sure that you have attached it correctly ?
Well I guess it would have to be? I really don't know :S

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:34 am

have you enabled Cool'n'Quiet ? that shaved a lot of my idle temps. Go to amd.com, download the processor driver, install and turn on minimal power management under power options in windows.

Might need to turn it on in the motherboard bios too.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:54 am

Locklear wrote:have you enabled Cool'n'Quiet ?
Yep. Did that on the first startup.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 am

Well guys, don't forget that if it's winter here now that means it's summer in Australia and with no airconditioning I expect average temperatures to be in the 25-30C range.

Salameh
Your temps are fine for a 31C ambient. I would hardly expect anything else at that temperature and stock everything. I also have no airconditioning so I have to plan my system for the hot summers. The reason your upper chamber HDD panel is so hot to touch is because of 7800GT spewing hot air right at it. As you can guess there is also a definite heat build up problem with your case. How many case fans are you running and at what setting - low/medium/high? Because IME even running two antec case fans at low should remove all of the hot air from the case. If that is not the case then you should definitely reorganize your cooling. One of the reason SPCR'ians love big fancy tower heatsinks is because they allow us to effeciently remove hot air from the case as soon as possible. A scythe ninja with a low RPM fan mouted on it would direct all that hot air right at the exhaust fan. 7800GT is also part of the problem for two reasons, one is it dumps all the hot air inside the case and two, it dumps it right up front in the path of the main air intake of P180, not good. The only way of dealing with it is to replace stock cooling with something else that dumps air closer to the exhaust fans like Thermalright V-1/V-1 Ultra or Aerocool VM-102 (although if you chose the latter you should be really careful about designing your system around it). If for some reason you cannot replace your CPU/GPU heatsinks, there is one more thing you can try to alevate your case temperatures. I have found that the front air intake with the door closed in P180 is extremely restrictive, if I run my rear fan at 1200RPM (I have only one exhaust fan) and open the door I notice an increase in the airflow out of the rear fan right away. So what I would suggest you do is to remove one slot cover right under your videocard and possibly one bottom 5.25 slot cover for increased air flow to the case.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:47 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, as I said the ambient temps are around ~31C and no aircon :(

All 3 fans, rear, top, hdd chamber, are on high setting. I have really no idea what the problem may be. I can try and take some photos of the interior of my case but I don't know what other information I can try and give. I've heard so many people say that their P180 with side panels on are actually cooler than off, is really weird for me. Considering that I took off the side panel and CPU temp went from 47 -> 42.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:52 am

All three fans on high? That's 2000RPM, that's going to be loud, really loud.

Like I said, try setting all of your fans on medium and open one rear slot cover directly below videocard and one bottom 5.25 bay cover. I'd hope that should bring down your temperatures, post back with the results.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:06 am

I already tested the 3 fans on low and high and can't really tell over the noise of the CPU/GPU, I can't even tell which it is, it's that loud. I'll give your suggestion a try.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:49 am

Are you sure there's nothing blocking the front intake? Check the filters!

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:25 am

Yep, I'm sure, filters are clean and clear :(

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 am

I'm afraid running everything at stock your PC will inevitably be hot and loud. Does your motherboard BIOS not have any undervolting options?

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:45 am

BTW you said you removed the VGA duct, did you tape the opening or not? It's also worth playing with it around since it would appear to me getting your airflow right in the case is number one priority. You can tape it, or leave it open or leave it open and attach the first part of the cga duct to it, see if any of this will work best for you.

tjpark1111

Post by tjpark1111 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:12 pm

guys, stop thinking wild ideas like the front intake needs its filters clean or the probes are bad. THE AMBIENT IS 31C!!! We're all used to seeing temps in the 30s and 50s, basically lower than what the OP has since SPCR reviews and other sites have ambients temps WAY below 31C. I would say the temps he's getting is quite good at an ambient of 31C. That's the payoff of having the case sit in a hot room with no air conditioning, and your components will die faster. Take off the side panel of the P180 and put the side that is open, near an open window if possible. This will put the noise to the outside, and allow fresh air to get in and hot air to get out. It seems you don't care about noise anyways it seems though. Make sure you have the optional intake installed, the hdd chamber ain't gonna do anything to cool the MB, CPU, GPU, etc. If for some reason there's no room around the mobo and you can't install big heatsinks, etc, at least get some arctic silver 5 and carefully follow the directions, optimal thermal contact betweent the component and heatsink is actually VERY critical.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:05 pm

The CPU and VGA temps may be OK for 31 degree ambient, but not being able to touch the cage??? This is the strange part, that suggests bad front to back airflow. Maybe remove filter and keep front door and filter cover open and check again? With the fans at high, it won't even sound louder.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 pm

I havn't put tape where the vga duct exits, I could consider that. Removing a slot cover under my vid card seemed to help actually, so thanks for that. Though it may be due to lower ambient temps, restart etc.

The hot to touch hdd cage was only that one time, I can only guess it was because it had been running quite a while. Still, it's not like air should 'build up' but rather be blown out of the case. I think one problem is that my case is stuck on the floor under my desk, with not much room between the back and the wall. Furthormore, it is placed on the right side, against a desk draw. I was thinking about putting it on top of my desk but it might be a bit tricky with my setup.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:21 am

Hmm, I have found out that many people are having a problem with the XFX 7800GT where the fan control does not work meaning it stays spinning at 100% all the time. I'm having a hard time telling whether it is that or my CPU which is making all that noise.

Just earlier there was a weird vibrating noise coming from within, that's not good >_>