Antec 180 SLI rig - comments welcome

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bsdie

Antec 180 SLI rig - comments welcome

Post by bsdie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:55 pm

Hello SPCR!

Ive frequented this great site for 1,5 to 2 years reading reviews, but this will be my first post. Im currently upgrading my computer and will purchase the last components this coming week.

This is what I have in mind:

Asus A8N32-SLI
AMD 64 3700+ with a Zalman 7000cu (The cooler from my old system)
2 gigs of Corsair ram
7800GTX (Bfg) with a Zalman VF700cu (Again, re-used cooler)
Seasonic s12 500
Asus quiet-tech DVD and CDRW (two drives, had the CDRW in my old system)
WD Raptor 74
WD SE 320GB

Id like to upgrade my system to run SLI one day and my current Antec Sonata feels to small to keep this system running at a decent temperature. My plan at the moment is to get an Antec 180 (SPCR, of course). Ill probably remove the thick bottom fan and replace it with a quieter 120mm one, as well as removing the upper drivebay to make a clear channel from a front 120mm fan to the graphics cards (just one starting out, later two).

I have two 120mm Adda (rated 16 db) in my current Sonata wich I plan to use in the new case. Id like to use the two 25mmx120mm fans that come with the case to save some money, but Im uncertain in wich position to place the Addas and the Antec fans. The computer will be places under a wooden desk so the top mounted fan wont go straight to my ear. All fans will be mounted with rubber grommets.

I would be honored if you would give me your opinions on my suggested system and if anyone can provide answers to the following:

-Where to place my addas out of the 4 possible spots in the antec 180, and if I should replace the antec fans that come with the case. I was thinking a slow Antec at 28 CFM for the harddrives in the lower section together with the seasonic. Then one Adda at the front upper section as well as rear, then an antec at the top.
-Think it is viable to run my VF700 at 5V even if I have two graphics cards? Will an Adda be strong enough (38.9CFM) to blow all the way from the front of the case over two graphics cards?
-Should I place the seasonic with the fan upwards, or downwards?

My idea for a setup is keeping all 4 120mm fans running at a low rate, one covers the two harddrives whilst one blows on the graphics cards. The last two blow heat from the top of the case and CPU. When playing games Id like it to be enough if I opened the front door to let more air in, not having to fiddle with fan-controllers. I do not plan on using the VGA-duct.

/Johan

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:58 pm

Why don't you get a X2 +3800 cpu? Costs a little more but it's most likely a bether deal in the long run.
-Where to place my addas out of the 4 possible spots in the antec 180, and if I should replace the antec fans that come with the case. I was thinking a slow Antec at 28 CFM for the harddrives in the lower section together with the seasonic. Then one Adda at the front upper section as well as rear, then an antec at the top.
The Adda fans are measured in free air so they will sound a bit higher than 16dB but they are probibly more silent than the trifans.
I would suggest the back and the top and then have 1 thin trifan at the bottom (PSU/HDD-duct)
Unless you need one at the front by some reason (not sure you need one even in SLI-mode) then I would put one adda at the top and at the front and have trifans at duct and rear
-Think it is viable to run my VF700 at 5V even if I have two graphics cards? Will an Adda be strong enough (38.9CFM) to blow all the way from the front of the case over two graphics cards?
Probibly but don't know for sure. It's worth a shot I think :-)
Yes it's strong enought, the case isn't 3 meters long ;-P
Should I place the seasonic with the fan upwards, or downwards?
It's built for downwards but I doubt it mathers much. Would be weird if it did. Place it the way you want to get best cable-managent

You can get Artic cooling silencer for the second card. Then you should (most likely) be fine even if the door is closed and slow fans. Unless you overclock :-)

The VGA-duct is useless.

bsdie

Post by bsdie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:43 pm

Why don't you get a X2 +3800 cpu? Costs a little more but it's most likely a bether deal in the long run.
Unfortunately I already bought a 3700+ since they had a great deal a month or so ago when I first started ordering parts (My graphics card being DOA delayed my system somewhat together with some bad luck with the Nforce4 chipset on my first motherboard) I regret it somewhat now.
The Adda fans are measured in free air so they will sound a bit higher than 16dB but they are probibly more silent than the trifans.
I would suggest the back and the top and then have 1 thin trifan at the bottom (PSU/HDD-duct)
Unless you need one at the front by some reason (not sure you need one even in SLI-mode) then I would put one adda at the top and at the front and have trifans at duct and rear
Thanks for the feedback! Its along the lines of what I was thinking. I might try with no fan (just the seasonic) in the lower part of the 180 to check drive temps seeing if its necessary to use a 120mm fan as well. Ill do the same with the front fan on your suggestion.
You can get Artic cooling silencer for the second card. Then you should (most likely) be fine even if the door is closed and slow fans. Unless you overclock :-)

I wont overclock. Do you know if the Artic cooling rev. 3 works with the GTX cards? I used to have the old Arctic cooler vga fan for my 9800 and it was just lovely but from what Ive read I dont trust the new versions as much when it comes to noise.

Thanks for the reply!

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:56 pm

bsdie wrote:Unfortunately I already bought a 3700+ since they had a great deal a month or so ago when I first started ordering parts (My graphics card being DOA delayed my system somewhat together with some bad luck with the Nforce4 chipset on my first motherboard) I regret it somewhat now.
It might be worth a shot to ask if you can return it and by an X2 instead. Some companys accept that.
Thanks for the feedback! Its along the lines of what I was thinking. I might try with no fan (just the seasonic) in the lower part of the 180 to check drive temps seeing if its necessary to use a 120mm fan as well. Ill do the same with the front fan on your suggestion.
Since the Seasonic has it's big fan on the side it doesn't work very good. Wouldn't be a good airflow. If you had a 80mm fan instead on the back or the from like Antec NeoHE it would work if you sealed the ventilation around the PSU-exit. But it can't hurt to try :-)
I wont overclock. Do you know if the Artic cooling rev. 3 works with the GTX cards? I used to have the old Arctic cooler vga fan for my 9800 and it was just lovely but from what Ive read I dont trust the new versions as much when it comes to noise.
Not personaly but it's stated on their site that it will fit all 7800 :-)
I think rev 2 had some issues with clicking sound but what I've seen in this forum then rev 3 it's fixed now
Thanks for the reply!
Np :-)

bsdie

Post by bsdie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:13 am

Since the Seasonic has it's big fan on the side it doesn't work very good. Wouldn't be a good airflow. If you had a 80mm fan instead on the back or the from like Antec NeoHE it would work if you sealed the ventilation around the PSU-exit. But it can't hurt to try :-)
Thats true, it would just get air from those few centimeters on top or bottom, and a slow 120mm shouldnt create much of a ruckus over the harddrives. Ill probably go with a fan.
Not personaly but it's stated on their site that it will fit all 7800 :-)
I think rev 2 had some issues with clicking sound but what I've seen in this forum then rev 3 it's fixed now
I looked around some and at arctics site it says all 7800s, but on this swedish site (a good one at that) theres a note saying that it wont fit on 7800GTX cards. Has anyone else experienced this?

http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=48854&traff=1

Thanks again! =)

tjpark1111

Post by tjpark1111 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:18 pm

SOOOO many people have put arctic coolers on 7800GTXs, that stuff on that website is obviously BS. Get the cooler, no worries.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Since the Seasonic has it's big fan on the side it doesn't work very good. Wouldn't be a good airflow. If you had a 80mm fan instead on the back or the from like Antec NeoHE it would work if you sealed the ventilation around the PSU-exit. But it can't hurt to try Smile
The Seasonic works fine as the only fan in the lower part of a P180. Several of us have removed our stock Antec fan and are letting our PS w/a 120mm fan on it's side. Just tape up the vents on the side of the P180.

Jason

bsdie

Post by bsdie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:18 pm

tjpark1111 wrote:SOOOO many people have put arctic coolers on 7800GTXs, that stuff on that website is obviously BS. Get the cooler, no worries.
You are correct, I even found a review of the new edition of the arctic silencer that covers the GTX:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=acnvsilencer5rev31

On the first picture theres even a little sticker that says that it now works with the GTX cards. That store probably sells the old revision or doesnt know that they have been updated.

Im still dubious towards the silencer however since Ive read that the quality isnt near the zalman, the air blowing out of the case in SLI is massive so Ill have to give it some thought (probably will wait and se how thermals look when Im done with the system then decide).
nomoon wrote:The Seasonic works fine as the only fan in the lower part of a P180. Several of us have removed our stock Antec fan and are letting our PS w/a 120mm fan on it's side. Just tape up the vents on the side of the P180.
Ill definately give it a shot. My drives will be one raptor and the new WD 320gig drive. The raptor didnt run hot in my old soundpadded antec sonata (with the horrible airflow front) and the WD3200JD is supposedly a cool drive as well. Do you run your Seasonic with the fan upwards or downwards in the case Jason?

If I choose to run artic cooling silencers then I could perhaps remove the front intake fan, ending up with just 2 casefans in the upper-back corner?

I should have all the parts tomorrow (*hopes*) barr one graphics card of course (SLI will be later on, when my wallet has healed and prices go down some), when Im done with the system and cabling Ill be sure to post a picture here.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:27 pm

nomoon wrote:The Seasonic works fine as the only fan in the lower part of a P180. Several of us have removed our stock Antec fan and are letting our PS w/a 120mm fan on it's side. Just tape up the vents on the side of the P180.

Jason
Ok, must have missed that. Thought it would be to many corners for the air to be effective. Oh well, we are here to learn ;-)