Asus Ai Booster or AMD Cool n Quiet?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jubei

Asus Ai Booster or AMD Cool n Quiet?

Post by Jubei » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:00 am

I have just finished building my first PC and have some questions regarding AMD Cool n Quiet.

I have the Asus A8N-E motherboard and it comes with an Asus Ai Booster utlility that is similar to the Cool n Quiet software. The Ai Booster possesses a more infomative interface.

My queries:
1. Do the 2 clash? It seems I can only run one at a time.
2. Which is the better utlility to use? I am still on stock AMD HSF so can't hear any differences.

Also if my primary hard drive is a SATA, will this mean the hard drive light on my case's front panel won't light up? The mobo manual refers to the connectors as IDE _LED.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:50 pm

I don't have direct experience with AI Booster, but I was under the impression that it was just an overclocking utility. Does it really allow dynamic clock changes based on load?

Chances are, it will clash with CnQ; almost any sort of clock/voltage tinkering tends to interfere.

I doubt one is significantly better than the other; CnQ does a good enough job of reducing power consumption at idle. I'm sure AI Booster could be tweaked to drop the system to a lower speed, but at that level the CPU power is almost insignificant.

My preference would be to use CnQ: It's simple, it works, and doesn't require an extra piece of software to be running in the background.

RE: SATA drives. SATA drives work just fine with case LEDs. the IDE_LED label is probably just a reminder of the origins of HDD technology.

fw_fw

Post by fw_fw » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Devonavar wrote: RE: SATA drives. SATA drives work just fine with case LEDs. the IDE_LED label is probably just a reminder of the origins of HDD technology.
Correct: My Asus A8N-SLI Premium has 4 drives installed, 2 SATA in RAID 1, 2 SATA as regular drives. The IDE_LED lights up the LED on the P180 case anytime there is HD activity on any of the drives.

Jubei

Post by Jubei » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:43 pm

I have stopped using Ai Booster and am using Cool n Quiet instead.