Taking CPU w/Thermalright XP-90 from socket?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KupoCool

Taking CPU w/Thermalright XP-90 from socket?

Post by KupoCool » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi, I was thinking about upgrading my motherboard, mainly so I can get one with a PCI-E slot instead of the outdated AGP I have. TES: Oblivion is my main motivator for this. I suspect I might lose a bit of quiet upgrading my GPU either way, unfortunately that's kinda unavoidable. >.>

But I don't want to replace CPU... at least not yet. So, I was wondering if it's easy/safe to remove from the processor socket a CPU with a Thermalright XP-90 glued on top? Or is it possible to detach the XP-90 w/o damaging either? I would try doing these myself, but I want to be sure I don't ruin the socket or CPU.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind my question, I realize now it's thermal grease that I put there, not glue! =x
Last edited by KupoCool on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:26 pm

I do not know of a good socket A motherboard with PCI-express

Are you serious your CPU is glued to your heat sink. I am assuming by socket a you have an AMD XP, I would not try to separate them with hope of not destroying your chip. I guess it really depends on the glue you used.

KupoCool

Post by KupoCool » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Well, I used the glue Thermalright included in the package. And my CPU is a socket 939, not socket A. (I have the Abit AV8 motherboard presently)

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:41 pm

It's difficult to get it off without bending pins. If you can somehow release the CPU latch, that would be helpful. Even if the latch is down, the CPU will come out of the socket before the XP-90 comes off the CPU (yes, even with Arctic Silver 5, it's on THAT tight). Just try to pull straight up.

If you do bend pins, it's not the end of the world if you have a little patience and a credit card.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:42 pm

Retail heatsink paste's purpose is not to glue heatsink to the CPU, but rather to improve heat transfer between the two.

Unless you used some really bad no-name paste that dried out and hardened, you should be able to separate the heatsink from the CPU with no problems. I'd think the one included with a Thermalright heatsink would be decent.

KupoCool

Post by KupoCool » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:03 pm

qviri wrote:Retail heatsink paste's purpose is not to glue heatsink to the CPU, but rather to improve heat transfer between the two.

Unless you used some really bad no-name paste that dried out and hardened, you should be able to separate the heatsink from the CPU with no problems. I'd think the one included with a Thermalright heatsink would be decent.
Oh, whoops, you're right. I was just looking at the review and realized it was referred to as "thermal grease". I knew that it helps the convection, but for some reason I had forgotten that it was *only* for that. ^^;;

Thanks for clearing up my misconception, folks!

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:07 pm

KupoCool wrote:
qviri wrote:Retail heatsink paste's purpose is not to glue heatsink to the CPU, but rather to improve heat transfer between the two.

Oh, whoops, you're right. I was just looking at the review and realized it was referred to as "thermal grease". I knew that it helps the convection, but for some reason I had forgotten that it was *only* for that. ^^;;

Thanks for clearing up my misconception, folks!
That doesn't mean it isn't adhesive, unless the stuff Thermalright uses is vastly different from Arctic Silver. It makes your heart skip a beat when you lift the heatsink off and see no CPU sitting there. Then, you look on the bottom of the heatsink...

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:11 pm

jackylman wrote:That doesn't mean it isn't adhesive, unless the stuff Thermalright uses is vastly different from Arctic Silver. It makes your heart skip a beat when you lift the heatsink off and see no CPU sitting there. Then, you look on the bottom of the heatsink...
You must be using some funny Arctic Silver, I've never had problems like this with my CPUs :P

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:09 pm

I really have no idea what this thread is about now.
Are you looking for a mother board and a video card or a integrated solution that would let you get a pci-e card later.

KupoCool

Post by KupoCool » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:16 pm

Trunks wrote:I really have no idea what this thread is about now.
Are you looking for a mother board and a video card or a integrated solution that would let you get a pci-e card later.
Yeah, if I could I would lock this thread because my question was one based on misunderstanding. ^^;
I made another thread here about the mobo & GPU:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=30277