Using SATA drives outside the case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steerpike

Using SATA drives outside the case

Post by Steerpike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:32 pm

I was a very early adopter of SATA drives, investing heavily in SATA drives and controllers (before sata was built into motherboards) for all my computers. I had the dream of putting all my drives outside the main cases, in enclosures such as the SmartDrive 2002. Putting all drives outside the main case allows for less case cooling, and the 'hot swap' "feature" of SATA was hopefully going to allow me to swap the non-system drives amongst computers just like external USB2 drives, but much faster.

This strategy failed for many reasons, and I abandoned the approach. I'd like to know if others have gone down this path with more success. Here are the reasons for my failure.
  1. I could never find long power cables to match the long sata cables I bought. I did string together numerous power cable extenders, but this was tacky and error-prone.
  2. I found a nice SATA Case connector, allowing me to plug/unplug the SATA cables to the case, but again, no equivalent way to get power out of the case other than running tacky extension cables through some hole or other.
  3. I discovered that standard sata cables are not shielded and not designed to be run outside a case - see this (rather negative) site for more on this. I bought very expensive shielded, long cables to get around this.
  4. While the SATA spec supports "hot swap", windows does not specifically support the shutting down of a SATA drive in the same manner it does for USB2 drives. I discovered that this is somewhat related to the SATA controller chipset; silicon image chipsets (found on adaptec controllers) were much better than those found on (eg) Maxtor's sata controllers. Bottom line was, I could never reliably 'stop' a sata drive in such a way that I could unplug it without risk of data loss, OR, without at least being asked by Windows to reboot See this thread for the gory details of this issue
I basically abandoned the use of SATA as a removable, external device because of these issues, and found that USB2 external drives were perfectly adequate for my needs (video capture, which is pretty intense). But I would like to know if others have had success in this regard; maybe two years later, things are different!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Yeah you're right about the SATA thing. Other than a thin data cable, I see little advantage in SATA. Maybe a little faster....

External USB drives are probably a better, more useful setup. There is a WD external USB drive that goes to sleep after a short period of non-use. Quiet, cool, draws almost no power......just sits there most of the time.

But I've found a better setup.....an external LAN drive. The one I'm using now is connected to a wireless router. I can get data off it anywhere in the house, no matter what else is running. It uses a Fat32 format so you can put almost any IDE drive in it. It goes to sleep in a few minutes of non-use. Haven't seen a better solution for external storage.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:17 pm

you could always make your own power lines. basic soldering skills is all that is required. make it look proffesional with some black wire wrap or loom, whichever you prefer. then just put a standard male molex connector at the end, with a female molex connector mounted into a spare expansion slot cover.

the only major disadvantages i see personally, are the fact that you'd have a bunch of wires running from inside the case to outside the case, and also that whole windows thing.

wireless NAS enclosures seem to be the way to go like bluefront suggested. just stick it in a closet somewhere, and plug it into AC power, and you can get data off it from anywhere in the house.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Wireless NAS ...

Some totally theoretical calculations, just to get an idea of performance issues

Video bitrate (DVD) is about 9 Megabits bits/sec max - roughly 9,000 kbits/sec
USB2 = 480 Mbits/sec - roughly 480,000 kbits/sec.
SATA = 150 MBytes/sec = 1,200 Megabits/sec - roughly 1,200,000 kbits/sec

Ethernet can be 10/100/1000 MBits/sec. 100 is the typical value these days for the average hub. 100MBits/sec = 100,000 kbits/sec

Wireless ethernet (802.11g) runs up to 54Mbits/sec, roughly 54,000 kbits / sec.

So in order of performance, that would be:
SATA - 1,200,000 kbits/sec
USB2 - 480,000 kbits/sec
Ethernet - 100,000 kbits/sec
Wireless - 54,000 kbits/sec

Streaming video needs ... 9,000 kbits/sec so in theory, all the above should be fine for streaming video, but ... I've found that Wireless in general is NOT good enough for streaming video.

Any thoughs on this? Feel free to correct my math above!

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:57 pm

It just doesn't make much sense to place hard drives outside of the computer, from a silencing or cooling standpoint. They're a perfect fit for being cooled by intake air--they need cool air, but they don't actually generate much heat.

Placing hard drives outside the computer means you need another fan just to cool the hard drives, and then the air is still cool when it's exhausted from the hard drive enclosue--what a waste! That cool air could have been used to cool other computer components if only the hard drives weren't external to the computer!

And what's the benefit? An ignorable slight improvement in temperatures.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 pm

I respectfully disagree ... though I don't have absolute measurements to prove this, and I could be wrong. I remain open minded on the topic. I do have a DigitalDoc 5 to monitor up to 8 temps (ambient interior temp, PSU exhaust temp, room temp, etc), and I constantly monitor all the measurable motherboard/CPU temps, as well as the hard drive temps - about 12 temps in all.

The ambient temperature in my room is about 22 deg. C. The ambient temperature inside my computer case, which I am trying to run silently (that is, with no case fans other than the PSU, to minimize noise), is obviously considerably higher than the outside temp - about 30 deg. C.

My Hard drives run at around 34 deg. C when sitting in the 22 deg C room in 'free air' - about 12 deg above ambient. I have to believe that, if I put those same drives inside the case, with the same amount of cooling / airflow (very little), they are going to run at least 12 deg above the surroundings, i.e. at about 46 deg C. I'd have to increase case airflow quite a bit to reduce that, which means adding a case fan which I don't currently have.

I think that's the crux of the matter, actually - by locating the drives outside the case, I can get away with no case fans other than PSU, since my only other significant source of heat is the P4 Northwood CPU.

The other thing to note is, with the drives outside of the case, natural convection is perfectly capable of cooling them (cooling the SmartDrive 2002 enclosure, actually) - there is no need for a fan to be blowing on them. There is enough air volume to allow natural convection to maintain stability (and they sit at 12 deg. above ambient). Further, a small drive sitting in a huge room full of 22 deg C air is not going to contribute significantly to the temperature of the room. But the same drive sitting in a small case at 30 deg C is probably going to contibute to the heat inside that case.

You do lose the benefit of the case providing noise supression to the drives, but I found that the fact that I could locate the drives well away from everything, and on nice foam pads, more than made up for this.

The benefits increase significantly if you have multiple drives - it gets harder and harder to deal with the drive heat inside the case, while if they are outside the case, there is no practical impact (since your room has so much air).

Like I said, I've abandoned the grand scheme for various reasons, but I believe the logic is sound.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:45 am

Steerpike wrote:Video bitrate (DVD) is about 9 Megabits bits/sec max - roughly 9,000 kbits/sec
USB2 = 480 Mbits/sec - exactly 480,000 kbits/sec.
SATA = 150 MBytes/sec = 1,200 Megabits/sec - exactly 1,200,000 kbits/sec

Ethernet can be 10/100/1000 MBits/sec. 100 is the typical value these days for the average switch. 100MBits/sec = 100,000 kbits/sec

Wireless ethernet (802.11g) runs up to 54Mbits/sec, exactly 54,000 kbits / sec.

Streaming video needs ... 9,000 kbits/sec so in theory, all the above should be fine for streaming video, but ... I've found that Wireless in general is NOT good enough for streaming video.

edited to 'correct' your math. Also hubs are half duplex, switches are full duplex and have other advantages (i.e. ditch the hub, grab a cheap switch), in addtion it's worth pointing out that 802.11g wireless standard is 54Mbit of radio throughput which does not equal 54Mbits of users data and if you have more than one wireless client then that 54MBits is shared across all clients - don't quote me, because I'm not sure about that ;)

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:44 am

Agree about switches vs. hubs, and switches are now coming way down in price. Good reminder.

I used the term 'roughly' (which you changed to 'exactly') because I didn't want some pedantic person arguing about 1000 vs 1024 ... that is, I didn't want someone arguing that 54 Mbit/sec is really 54*1024 = 55,296 kbit/sec ...

I'm sure you are right about the 54Mbit/sec being 'total radio throughput' - they are going to try to use as big a number as they can to market their product.

I'm currently watching videos over my wireless link, and it's ... just not quite acceptable, sadly (I really wish it were). My signal meter suggests I'm getting 36 Mbit/sec and above at all times, but playback is just not smooth, compared to being hardwired. My video source is about 5 Mbits/sec so there's plenty of headroom there. I'm guessing there are many other issues such as latency, the player software, the windows file system, etc etc. I'm currently looking for a point-to-point wireless solution to improve this, as I have no hope of running hard-wired ethernet to my desired viewing location.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:59 am

It just doesn't make much sense to place hard drives outside of the computer, from a silencing or cooling standpoint.
I have my hard drive outside of the computer. It is in a double enclosure, which is too large to fit in my case. Agreed, from a cooling perspective it offers little benefit, but when you have a noisy 3.5" HDD, and limited funds so a quiet replacement HDD is not possible, it seems like a sensible way to obtain silence.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:41 am

I think that the 54Mbit/sec includes all of the error-check coding overheads...
Steerpike wrote:I'm currently looking for a point-to-point wireless solution to improve this, as I have no hope of running hard-wired ethernet to my desired viewing location.
What about Ethernet-over-household-mains? I know there are a few places that sell it over here, not sure about your side of the pond.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:13 am

Steerpike wrote:I respectfully disagree [...]My Hard drives run at around 34 deg. C when sitting in the 22 deg C room in 'free air' - about 12 deg above ambient. I have to believe that, if I put those same drives inside the case, with the same amount of cooling / airflow (very little), they are going to run at least 12 deg above the surroundings, i.e. at about 46 deg C. I'd have to increase case airflow quite a bit to reduce that, which means adding a case fan which I don't currently have.
Basically, you are confusing temperature and heat. Of course your hard drives get warm out in the open--they have hardly any airflow to work with. Without any active airflow, the temperature will simply rise and rise until it's hot enough to generate convective airflow.

Hard drives can survive on convective airflow in open air, but it's not nearly as good as providing them some active airflow.

Since you don't seem to "get" the difference between temperature and heat, think of heat as a fluid, like water. Heat is an amount of water, while temperature is how high the water level is. It's possible for the water level to get very high even if the water is created very slowly--as long as there isn't anything actively draining the water away.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:17 am

jaganath wrote:I have my hard drive outside of the computer. It is in a double enclosure, which is too large to fit in my case. Agreed, from a cooling perspective it offers little benefit, but when you have a noisy 3.5" HDD, and limited funds so a quiet replacement HDD is not possible, it seems like a sensible way to obtain silence.
I've killed too many old 3.5" hard drives this way to agree that this is "sensible". On such limited funds, IMHO it makes more sense to live with the noise rather than cook the hard drive (making a replacement necessary anyway).

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:33 am

quikkie wrote:
Steerpike wrote:Video bitrate (DVD) is about 9 Megabits bits/sec max - roughly 9,000 kbits/sec
USB2 = 480 Mbits/sec - exactly 480,000 kbits/sec.
SATA = 150 MBytes/sec = 1,200 Megabits/sec - exactly 1,200,000 kbits/sec

Ethernet can be 10/100/1000 MBits/sec. 100 is the typical value these days for the average switch. 100MBits/sec = 100,000 kbits/sec

Wireless ethernet (802.11g) runs up to 54Mbits/sec, exactly 54,000 kbits / sec.

edited to 'correct' your math. Also hubs are half duplex, switches are full duplex and have other advantages (i.e. ditch the hub, grab a cheap switch), in addtion it's worth pointing out that 802.11g wireless standard is 54Mbit of radio throughput which does not equal 54Mbits of users data and if you have more than one wireless client then that 54MBits is shared across all clients - don't quote me, because I'm not sure about that ;)
I must disagree with the data posted. ;)

To begin with you won't get a sustained data rate of over roughly 60MiB/s, regardless of the interface, becuase the harddisk platter/head assembly cannot deliver faster than that. It doesn't matter if you have Sata 150 or ata 100 because the bottleneck will still be the harddisk, not the data bus.

As for USB data rate, although the theoretical max is 480Mbit/s, in practice you don't get a sustained rate over 20-25MiB/s (200-ish Mbits/s).

Firewire however does give sustained rates of 40MiB/s.

So the real-world data rate would be

Sata/Pata: 60MiB/s, very low latency
Gigabit Lan: 60MiB/s, however with a very (relatively) large latency, as lots of postprocessing is needed from disk->file interpreter -> tcp/ip stack -> host compter -> tcp/ip stack -> software
Firewire: 40MiB/s, low latency
USB: 20-25MiB/s, low latency

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:58 am

I've killed too many old 3.5" hard drives this way to agree that this is "sensible". On such limited funds, IMHO it makes more sense to live with the noise rather than cook the hard drive (making a replacement necessary anyway).
Living with the noise is not an option. Think of the worst DM9 you ever heard, then multiply by 10.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:28 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:
Steerpike wrote:I respectfully disagree [...]My Hard drives run at around 34 deg. C when sitting in the 22 deg C room in 'free air' - about 12 deg above ambient. I have to believe that, if I put those same drives inside the case, with the same amount of cooling / airflow (very little), they are going to run at least 12 deg above the surroundings, i.e. at about 46 deg C. I'd have to increase case airflow quite a bit to reduce that, which means adding a case fan which I don't currently have.
Basically, you are confusing temperature and heat. Of course your hard drives get warm out in the open--they have hardly any airflow to work with. Without any active airflow, the temperature will simply rise and rise until it's hot enough to generate convective airflow.

Hard drives can survive on convective airflow in open air, but it's not nearly as good as providing them some active airflow.

Since you don't seem to "get" the difference between temperature and heat, think of heat as a fluid, like water. Heat is an amount of water, while temperature is how high the water level is. It's possible for the water level to get very high even if the water is created very slowly--as long as there isn't anything actively draining the water away.
Isaac - I'm trying to be polite and open minded, allowing that you may be correct in some areas, but you seem to be taking a rather stubborn stance on this. I studied physics and maths to a rather ridiculous level in the past, and have worked with computers all my life, and have built more systems than I can count.

I have some systems at the moment with hard drives inside the case, others with the hard drives outside the case. All my cases rely only on the PSU for airflow, and my CPUs typically run around 40 deg C (P4 Northwoods, as mentioned; chosen for their low heat gen). I measure the drive temps on all my systems. The simple fact is, the hard drives that are inside my cases run warmer. I could aleviate that, of course, by increasing the air flow inside the computers, but that increases noise. By mounting the drives outside the case, as we all seem to agree, I can get away with zero airflow for the drives, and that can't be beat from a noise perspective.

Let's look at this from a very simplistic point of view - the hard drive is a source of heat (it consumes energy in the form of electricity and since it is not 100% efficient, it generates heat (which in the old days in England was measured in Joules, I think, but that's probably old fashioned by now)). It therefore contributes energy inside the computer case, and therefore increases the net amount of heat inside the case (all other things being equal), and therefore, increases the cooling requirements inside the case - I don't think this can be disputed. This increased cooling requirement is typicaly accomodated by increased airflow through the computer, which means, more or faster fans. So I can mount my hard drives inside the case and provide extra airflow through the case, or mount them outside the case and have less airflow through the case. Focusing only on the case, for a moment, this is obviously quieter and therefore attractive from a noise perspective.

And if that's not basic enough, how about this - I run a computer with a given airflow (fan settings), with no hard drives inside, and I measure the ambient temperature inside - temperature 'x'. I then add a hard drive to it, without changing anything else (withouth increasing airflow/fan speed) can we agree that the temperature inside the case 'y' will now be higher, once equilibrium is reached, since we added a heat source and did not do anything to mitigate it? Pure physics and logic tells me that 'y' is greater than 'x'.

So if we can agree that a case without the extra heat source of the drive can run with less airflow, let's now look at the externally mounted hard drive and the issues surrounding that. My hard drive, externally mounted, inside a SmartDrive 2002 enclosure, runs (according to DTemp, which reads the SMART data) at 32-34 deg C consistently (at equilibrium in the room). This is, in my opinion, suitably low and well within any guidelines for longevity and safety. Your argument above ("Hard drives can survive on convective airflow in open air, but it's not nearly as good as providing them some active airflow") therefore does not seem to be appropriate. If my drives were running at 50 deg C in the open, then we could argue that they would be better off with some airflow, but 34 deg C - seems pretty cool to me. Note - my drives are mainly 7200 RPM SATAs from Samsung, which are known to be both quiet and cool - maybe you have much hotter drives.

I fully agree that it may not be worth the hassle; I'm all but abandoning the approach due to the OTHER issues involved, but ... let's keep the discussion factual and logical.

As an aside, if your case fans failed, your computer would overheat and your hard drives could be damaged if they were inside the case. Conversely, if your hard drives are externally mounted, they would not be affected - you have a more fault-tolerant system by having drives externally mounted.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:47 pm

Qwertyiopisme wrote: So the real-world data rate would be

Sata/Pata: 60MiB/s, very low latency
Gigabit Lan: 60MiB/s, however with a very (relatively) large latency, as lots of postprocessing is needed from disk->file interpreter -> tcp/ip stack -> host compter -> tcp/ip stack -> software
Firewire: 40MiB/s, low latency
USB: 20-25MiB/s, low latency
I agree with your real-world analysis, I was just using theoretical numbers to give 'ball park' measurements - I was really trying to illustrate that everything is well above the 9 Mbits/sec required for video. The numbers you state above are close to what I measure from my SATA and USB drives, using drive speed tests, and paint a much more useful picture. I've never tested Gigabit Lan, but even 60 MB/sec seems optimistic to me.

What would you suggest is the 'real world' data throughput of wireless (802.11g) ethernet? I'm really trying to decide if I can ever get adequate video viewing capability over wireless. Latency is perhaps the area I have the least understanding of (real-world impact of); I'm guessing that, for video, you have a one-way flow of data, and once the 'flow' gets going, as it were, latency is not such a big deal - but there must be a good deal of handshaking, and it's in the handshaking where the latency hits you - I'm assuming latency is akin to 'time to think', 'time to respond', 'time to process your order' (as opposed to ship your order!).

I'm actually on the lookout for a dedicated point-to-point wireless solution that is not too expensive (rather than WAP / client card, which is a general purpose solution).

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:28 pm

Steerpike wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote:Basically, you are confusing temperature and heat. Of course your hard drives get warm out in the open--they have hardly any airflow to work with. Without any active airflow, the temperature will simply rise and rise until it's hot enough to generate convective airflow.

Isaac - I'm trying to be polite and open minded, allowing that you may be correct in some areas, but you seem to be taking a rather stubborn stance on this. I studied physics and maths to a rather ridiculous level in the past, and have worked with computers all my life, and have built more systems than I can count.
Polite or not, I'm being stubborn because you're simply wrong about this matter.
I have some systems at the moment with hard drives inside the case, others with the hard drives outside the case. All my cases rely only on the PSU for airflow, and my CPUs typically run around 40 deg C (P4 Northwoods, as mentioned; chosen for their low heat gen). I measure the drive temps on all my systems. The simple fact is, the hard drives that are inside my cases run warmer. I could aleviate that, of course, by increasing the air flow inside the computers, but that increases noise. By mounting the drives outside the case, as we all seem to agree, I can get away with zero airflow for the drives, and that can't be beat from a noise perspective.
You can get away with zero airflow, true, but it's worse than being inside the case from a noise perspective. The case can block a significant amount of noise, so a naked external drive is noisier.

So...what about temperatures? There are only two reasons why a hard drive would run warmer inside a case than outside:

1. Poor case design.

or

2. Builder error.

With a properly designed case and/or proper airflow design, the hard drive should receive fresh cool ambient air from outside. This air is exactly the same air that would cool a naked external drive, but with one difference--there's active airflow!

Now, you say that all these cases have a single exhaust (the PSU). I don't know why you mention this, because it has exactly nothing to do with the part of the airflow design which matters--where the hard drives are and where they get airflow from. In a well designed ATX case, the hard drives are in the front bottom, right behind the case's main intake. If the case is being cooled by just the PSU fan, then what happens is that the PSU creates negative air pressure within the case. Air leaks in wherever is available--mostly from the front air intake just in front of the hard drive.

Obviously, this isn't happening in your computers (if it were, then your hard drives would have better temps inside than outside). Why? Without more information, it's impossible to say. Maybe the hard drives are placed in a stupid place. Some ATX cases place the hard drives just underneath the 5.25" bays, well above the front intake. These hard drives can suffer from stagnant air, without even the opportunity for significant convection cooling. I've cooked enough hard drives to death in these cases to recognize the problem. Maybe the hard drives are in the proper location, but the front intake is too restrictive. Many ATX cases have a ridiculously restrictive front intake, so air will instead enter from other places if it has the chance.
Let's look at this from a very simplistic point of view - the hard drive is a source of heat (it consumes energy in the form of electricity and since it is not 100% efficient, it generates heat (which in the old days in England was measured in Joules, I think, but that's probably old fashioned by now)).
It matters HOW MUCH heat is generated. Heat is measured in joules, which is the modern day metric unit for energy. However, for our purposes it's the rate of heat generation which is more useful--watts (joules per second).

The percentage of efficiency only really matters for the PSU. Practically everything else in the computer is 100% efficient at generating heat. For a hard drive, some truly insignificant amount of energy theoretically might go into magnetizing the media, but for all practical purposes every joule consumed is turned into a joule of heat.
It therefore contributes energy inside the computer case, and therefore increases the net amount of heat inside the case (all other things being equal), and therefore, increases the cooling requirements inside the case - I don't think this can be disputed.
Yes, by an ignorably small amount.
This increased cooling requirement is typicaly accomodated by increased airflow through the computer, which means, more or faster fans.
No, actually the increased cooling requirement is typically accomodated by letting the rest of the computer run just barely warmer--not enough to matter.

See, you're looking at cooling requirements in the wrong way. It isn't a matter of running enough fans to remove a certain amount of joules per second. The simple fact is that a computer generating 150 joules per second WILL BE COOLED BY 150 joules per second. It's an unavoidable fact! No matter how much heat a computer generates and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat! Even with no fans at all!

No, it matter what the desired operating temperatures are. And this is where the particular properties of a hard drive are important--even though they need to be kept very cool, they themselves generate very little heat. Put a hard drive in a tube with a small amount of airflow and try to detect a difference in the temperature of the incoming air and the outgoing air. Good luck! No, you'd have better luck measuring the amount of power drawn by the hard drive and deducing from that how much heat it must be generating.

So, putting the hard drive in the computer's main airstream results in an insignificant increase in cooling requirements.

But don't take my word for it, just try it! You measure your CPU and PSU temperatures? How much difference is there when you remove the hard drives from the case?

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:13 pm

IsaacKuo wrote: You can get away with zero airflow, true, but it's worse than being inside the case from a noise perspective. The case can block a significant amount of noise, so a naked external drive is noisier. If the case is being cooled by just the PSU fan, then what happens is that the PSU creates negative air pressure within the case. Air leaks in wherever is available--mostly from the front air intake just in front of the hard drive.
With just one low-flow fan nowhere near it? It's probably an "ignorable" amount of air. I notice no difference in the temps of hard disks I've run inside and outside of the case (Antec SLK3000) unless I have an intake fan running.
Some ATX cases place the hard drives just underneath the 5.25" bays, well above the front intake. These hard drives can suffer from stagnant air, without even the opportunity for significant convection cooling. I've cooked enough hard drives to death in these cases to recognize the problem. Maybe the hard drives are in the proper location, but the front intake is too restrictive. Many ATX cases have a ridiculously restrictive front intake, so air will instead enter from other places if it has the chance.
Yes. We all know the ATX layout leaves much to be desired, especially for silencers. Agreed on the restictive front intake, but let's just assume front and rear intakes are about the same.
...by an ignorably small amount.
Modern HD's dissipate about 10W at idle (we'll ignore startup). If the system uses 100W at idle (may be low depending on whether you have a powerful gfx card), that's 10% of the power. While it's not a major contributor, I wouldn't call it ignorable/negligible.
Actually the increased cooling requirement is typically accomodated by letting the rest of the computer run just barely warmer--not enough to matter.
10% more power dissipated inside the case might be enough to matter if you're trying to cool an X2 with a Scythe Ninja. Although, for most cases, I'd agree with you here.
See, you're looking at cooling requirements in the wrong way. It isn't a matter of running enough fans to remove a certain amount of joules per second. The simple fact is that a computer generating 150 joules per second WILL BE COOLED BY 150 joules per second. It's an unavoidable fact! No matter how much heat a computer generates and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat! Even with no fans at all!
So I can run my Presler without a heatsink? Sorry, but this is an overly simplistic model of system cooling.
Put a hard drive in a tube with a small amount of airflow and try to detect a difference in the temperature of the incoming air and the outgoing air. Good luck! No, you'd have better luck measuring the amount of power drawn by the hard drive and deducing from that how much heat it must be generating.
I think the exhaust will be a little warmer than you think. I would expect to feel a difference.

jfeldt

Cheap switches!

Post by jfeldt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Steerpike wrote:Agree about switches vs. hubs, and switches are now coming way down in price. Good reminder.
Yep. I just picked up a passive 5 port D-link gigabit switch at Frys for $9.99 last week (after rebates). It's the DGS-1005D. Even not on sale, unmanaged gigabit switches seem to be in the $10/port range.

I plan to start moving a HDD or two from my desktop into a dedicated file server / torrent box. That should help cut down on noise (tuck the file server away somewhere).

Jason

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:09 pm

jackylman wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote: ...by an ignorably small amount.
Modern HD's dissipate about 10W at idle (we'll ignore startup). If the system uses 100W at idle (may be low depending on whether you have a powerful gfx card), that's 10% of the power. While it's not a major contributor, I wouldn't call it ignorable/negligible.
I think we may be getting to the crux of the matter here ... I have a 'kill-a-watt' meter that measures actual power draw at the power plug. I just tested one of my computers - a P4 Northwood 1.6 GHz (no screamer, I must confess) with 512 Megs Ram, Asus P4B533 mobo, and a boring passive-cooled 4 year old ATI video card. Total draw, after settling down from a reboot, was 85W. That includes powering the externally mounted samsung hard drive. If we subtract 10W for the hard drive, that means those elements inside the case are generating about 75W. Thus, the hard drive accounts for 10/75 or 13% - so putting it inside the case would increase the case heat load by 13% - not a negligible amount. If Isaac has a modern Prescott P4 in the 3 GHz range, and a fancy modern video card, the hard drive contribution could be closer to negligible, but certainly not for me.
jackylman wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote: See, you're looking at cooling requirements in the wrong way. It isn't a matter of running enough fans to remove a certain amount of joules per second. The simple fact is that a computer generating 150 joules per second WILL BE COOLED BY 150 joules per second. It's an unavoidable fact! No matter how much heat a computer generates and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat! Even with no fans at all!
So I can run my Presler without a heatsink? Sorry, but this is an overly simplistic model of system cooling.
I'm confused. "No matter how much heat a computer generates, and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat ... even with no fans at all!" - hmmm. This is a rather interesting assertion. When I run my systems with no fans (and I do try this from time to time), the heat inside the case rises dramatically, to the point where I have to shut it down or re-start the fans. I've disconnected various fans, and sat there watching the temps. One of two things happen - either things stabilize at a higher temp (and you have to decide whether you want to live with that temp) or, they continue to rise with no stability in sight, at which point the cautious person re-enables the fan. More logically, you can sit there with a fan controller, and decrease the speed of a fan and observe the interior temps rise - this is pretty obvious. As you lower, and lower, and lower the fan, the temps rise and rise ... but now I'm stating the absolute obvious and touching on the fundamentals of what we here in silent computing land treat as common knowledge. Maybe you are trying to say something else here, but I don't think your statement as written holds water.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:43 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:The simple fact is that a computer generating 150 joules per second WILL BE COOLED BY 150 joules per second. It's an unavoidable fact! No matter how much heat a computer generates and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat! Even with no fans at all!
The above is literal fact. A 150W heat source that has 149W removed consistently will rise in temperature without limit. A 150W heat source that has 151W removed consistently will quickly approach absolute zero and it will then literally be impossible to remove 151W from it. :D

edit: corrected quote attribution
Last edited by Felger Carbon on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote:The simple fact is that a computer generating 150 joules per second WILL BE COOLED BY 150 joules per second. It's an unavoidable fact! No matter how much heat a computer generates and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat! Even with no fans at all!
The above is literal fact. A 150W heat source that has 149W removed consistently will rise in temperature without limit. A 150W heat source that has 151W removed consistently will quickly approach absolute zero and it will then literally be impossible to remove 151W from it. :D
So what you are saying is, if I generate 150 W of heat, and I have available to me 150W of cooling, I'm going to be in equilibrium, which is a true 'literal statement'. Let's assume my case airflow equates to "150 W of cooling". If I now add 10W inside the case, and I don't increase the airflow, I have 160W of heat source, but still only 150 W of cooling ... which in a literal, absolute, perfect vacuum test environment may lead to interesting consequences, but in reality, you will reach equilibrium at a higher temperature - the case will radiate more heat (and/or convection will increase - I believe it's convection that increases in proportion to the delta between the releveant elements, I can't recall what affects radiation off hand), the ambient room temperature will rise imperceptibly, and so on. I'd rather discuss this in practical terms, though ... Can we talk about the practical implications of the statement "No matter how much heat a computer generates, and no matter how little fan generated airflow it has, it will reject exactly that much heat ... even with no fans at all!".

Thermodynamics and fluid theory (which comes into play when you start dealing with air flow) are one of those areas where it's really easy to lose sight of the real world behavior of objects. I recall learning about 'zero friction fluids' and 'zero temperature gradient' solids when learning the equations, only to later learn that the real world was infinitely more complex. I'd rather keep this discussion around the simpler notions of ... speed up/slow down a fan, and measure the temp in the case ... :)
Last edited by Steerpike on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:10 pm

Steerpike wrote:So what you are saying is, if I generate 150 W of heat, and I have available to me 150W of cooling, I'm going to be in equilibrium, which is a true 'literal statement'. Let's assume my case airflow equates to "150 W of cooling". If I now add 10W inside the case, and I don't increase the airflow, I have 160W of heat source, but still only 150 W of cooling ... which in a literal, absolute, perfect vacuum test environment may lead to interesting consequences, but in reality, you will reach equilibrium at a higher temperature - the case will radiate more heat (and/or convection will increase
This is your problem--the fact that you think that it makes sense to say you have "only 150W of cooling". In reality, you simply can't measure the "amount of cooling" you have in terms of wattage. It's a nonsensical measure, because no matter how much or how little heat is generated, that's how much heat is generated.

Assuming the fans are running at a constant speed, the amount of airflow is almost the same (a slight increase in airflow due to the stack effect, but the stack effect is stupendously weak on the scale of a computer case). The amount of heat radiated by the case is also minimal. So where does the difference come? It comes in the form of hotter air. The air gets heated to a higher temperature, so the total amount of heat leaving the case increases.

Anyway, I consider the numbers AT IDLE to be a bit besides the point. I'm more interested in silently cooling a computer while it's actually being used. Also, I'm a firm adherent of the "constant fan speed" philosophy--I run fans at a constant speed suitable for the heaviest loads. I find that even an extremely quiet fan becomes noticed and irritating if it ramps up or down in speed. In contrast, a constant humm blends into the background even if it's not entirely silent.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:15 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:This is your problem--the fact that you think that it makes sense to say you have "only 150W of cooling". In reality, you simply can't measure the "amount of cooling" you have in terms of wattage. It's a nonsensical measure, because no matter how much or how little heat is generated, that's how much heat is generated.
It's not a non-sensical measure, it's a very sensible measure! It probably needs to be expressed more clearly though, eg. "a cooling system capable of removing 150W of waste heat".

Go look in a large-scale computer room at the air conditioning units they have fitted. Then look at the fans in your case. Ask yourself why there's a difference in the scale between the two! If you buy a large-scale air con for a computer room the salesman will ask you what's the power consumption of the stuff you're putting in the room in Watts! (or a dimensionally equivalent physical unit).

You can (and indeed must) think of cooling systems in terms of the rate at which they can remove energy (heat as you call it) from your enclosure. Rate of energy transfer = Joules per second. Watts = Joules per second. It's the same thing!

To maintain the temperatures of internal components within bounds you must have a cooling system which is capable of removing heat from the enclosure at at least the rate it is being dumped into the enclosure. You can over-engineer the cooling system if you want, so it's capacity exceeds the energy input, but if you under do it then your case will heat up. It's really that simple!
Anyway, I consider the numbers AT IDLE to be a bit besides the point. I'm more interested in silently cooling a computer while it's actually being used. Also, I'm a firm adherent of the "constant fan speed" philosophy--I run fans at a constant speed suitable for the heaviest loads. I find that even an extremely quiet fan becomes noticed and irritating if it ramps up or down in speed. In contrast, a constant humm blends into the background even if it's not entirely silent.
Right, so basically you are over-engineering the cooling system in your PC for the periods when it's idle. I think this might be where the confusion is coming in...

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:29 am

IsaacKuo wrote: ...
This is your problem--the fact that you think that it makes sense to say you have "only 150W of cooling". In reality, you simply can't measure the "amount of cooling" you have in terms of wattage. It's a nonsensical measure, because no matter how much or how little heat is generated, that's how much heat is generated.
OK, I can agree with you, I think - I have no idea what a reasonable measure of 'cooling' is - I have never tried to conceive of it's units, so this is an exercise in semantics. And I agree that 'whatever heat is generated is generated' - it does not change based on airflow.
IsaacKuo wrote: Assuming the fans are running at a constant speed, the amount of airflow is almost the same (a slight increase in airflow due to the stack effect, but the stack effect is stupendously weak on the scale of a computer case). The amount of heat radiated by the case is also minimal. So where does the difference come? It comes in the form of hotter air. The air gets heated to a higher temperature, so the total amount of heat leaving the case increases.
I believe I agree here too - can we agree on TWO things here; one is that if we introduce an additional energy source, the temperature of the air leaving the case will be higher, and the other is that the measured ambient temperature inside the case will also be higher than before. Since the air entering the case is the same, what this means is that there is a steeper temperature gradient inside the case - for what it's worth.
IsaacKuo wrote: Anyway, I consider the numbers AT IDLE to be a bit besides the point. I'm more interested in silently cooling a computer while it's actually being used.
I simply used the 'idle' value as an easily measurable 'steady state' condition for discussion purposes. I do a lot of video encoding using TMPGEnc, which can run for 14 hours or so at 100% CPU utilization, so I'm aware of the concept. But having four computers in the room, one or more is often idle and I certainly want to optimise the idle behavior just as much as the 'typical' behavior, and will tolerate more noise for occasional peaks.

OK - hopefully we are in general agreement on all the above. I see now that my use of the word HEAT was loose - I should have used the word Temperature in some contexts, Energy in others. Personally, I have a clear concept of temparature, and of energy, but 'heat' is a casual expression that I use interchangeably for both. Clearly, the amount of energy input to the system is a constant and unaffected by airflow. Modifying airflow affects temperature; if you increase the fan speeds (increase the airflow through the case), then the temperature inside the case (near the top and/or near the exhaust) will be lower - agreed?

Back to the original issue at hand ... I think we've agreed that introducing a hard drive into a case does increase the total ENERGY input to the case; whether it's significant or not seems debatable and relative, but I do believe we are looking at an increase in ENERGY input of about 10%, at least for my system. I'm probably on shakey ground asserting that an increase in energy input of 10% will lead to a TEMPERATURE rise of 10% (for a given fixed airflow) as it may be a more complex relationship, but I hope we can agree that a 10% energy increase will give rise to a measurable temperature increase inside the case ... agreed?

As for the hard drive temperatures themselves, inside vs. out ... are my hard drives going to run warmer or cooler inside a case than outside? Let me theorize ... Outside, the ambient air temp is 22C, and the drives cool by convection/radiation. My empirical evidence suggests a 10 degree rise in temp - to 32 C. Inside the case, you are correct that near the input vents, the air is close to the outside temp of 22C. And near the exhaust point, it will be at the other extreme - let's say 30C. So let's assume the air temp in the vicinity of the drives is a few degrees above outside ambient - say 24C (allowing for case imperfections, etc). Your argument is that you are going to get a cooler drive by having moving air that is, say, 24C rather than near-stationary air at 22C outside. OK, I can see your point, and I think it could land either way. Several posters have commented that they see little difference with drives inside or out, and I can belilever that. It's probably not a big difference for the average system with decent airflow.

I think it all comes down to this ... in the interest of silence, about which I'm fanatical, I run my cases hot (that is, I allow them to reach a high temperature), and the airflow is extremely low (I modify my PSUs by putting zalman fanmates on the PSU fans, so I can slow the one and only fan in the system down as much as possible, and which is why I have a DigitalDoc 5 constantly monitoring 8 temps, with alarms set and additional fans to kick in in an emergency) - not a whole lot of negative pressure for me, drawing in that cool outside air (though of course there is some). So I believe that even near the intake vents in my system, the air temperature is considerably higher than the outside ambient. If I were to locate my drives there, this higher temperature, combined with the very low airflow, has the net effect of causing the hard drives to run warmer than they are now, sitting outside the case. I realize, by the way, that I'm sacrificing system longevity, by running the system at elevated temps in this manner, but it's worth it to me for the noise aspect.

For the one system that I use for video encoding, I have setup an extra exhaust fan which I turn on only when actually encoding, which is fine because I set up the encoding parameters, then go to bed or to work while the encoding is running. That's just my crazy choice, one I'm happy with.
Last edited by Steerpike on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 am

this is where the particular properties of a hard drive are important--even though they need to be kept very cool, they themselves generate very little heat.
You have obviously never owned a DiamondMax 9 or a Seagate 7200.7 PATA. Some hard drives are cool, some are not. I think you have been running 2.5" drives for so long you have forgotten the characteristics of 3.5", Isaac.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:47 am

nutball wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote:This is your problem--the fact that you think that it makes sense to say you have "only 150W of cooling".
It's not a non-sensical measure, it's a very sensible measure! It probably needs to be expressed more clearly though, eg. "a cooling system capable of removing 150W of waste heat".

Go look in a large-scale computer room at the air conditioning units they have fitted. Then look at the fans in your case. Ask yourself why there's a difference in the scale between the two! If you buy a large-scale air con for a computer room the salesman will ask you what's the power consumption of the stuff you're putting in the room in Watts!
Apples and oranges! An air conditioning system operates on a closed system, but a computer is an open system. With a computer, heat is dumped along with the hot air. Ask yourself, how much heat can be removed by an open window? Answer--as much heat as is in the air leaving it (minus the heat in the ambient air replacing it). You can't do that with an air conditioning system, because any air dumped outside the system is instantly replaced with hot ambient air from outside. Remember--an A/C system is meant to cool the room to BELOW the ambient temperature outside.

So, what's a good measure of cooling potential in a computer system? There really isn't a single monolithic measure to look at. The fact that a computer is an open system has much to do with this. If you think about it, the heat generated by a particular component isn't typically a problem for itself, but rather whatever is downstream of it.

For example, why is it so popular to duct CPU air out a rear case fan rather than exhausting it through the PSU? Is it to improve CPU temperatures? Not at all. The CPU doesn't care where its exhausted air goes to, only the temperature/amount of the INCOMING air. No, the real reason is to improve PSU temperatures, by giving it relatively cool case air instead of hot CPU exhaust.

In order to analyze the cooling potential of a system, you simply have to look at heat and temperatures at individual components and specific locations.

Since I tend to design a single pipeline "airflow chain", I like to think of it as a temperature curve. This curve starts off at ambient and it jumps up after it passes each component in turn. Above this curve are dots representing the maximum desirable temperatures of air cooling each component. In my main workstation, the component list is intake->PSU->GPU->case->CPU->exhaust. If I had a 3.5" hard drive, I'd place it between the intake and the PSU.

My goal, generally, is to match the temperature curve closely to the component temperature thresholds. The shape of this curve is determined by heat generated by each component--the amount by which the curve jumps up is exactly determined by the wattage of the relevant component divided by the airflow. This curve inherently steps only upward, so roughly the ideal order for the components to be in is in the order of temperature threshold. At the same time, it makes sense to put the most powerful component at the end of the airflow chain. The heat generated by the final component is "consequence-free", because the warmed air doesn't adversely affect any other components.

For the OP's computers, the component chain could potentially be intake->HDD->GPU/case->CPU->PSU. Currently, it seems that the hard drive placement is flawed, but it shouldn't be difficult to arrange proper airflow (*see below). With this airflow chain, the biggest problem is that the PSU is being cooled by CPU warmed air. Assuming the PSU has a temperature controled fan, it seems likely that the slightest amount of load will tend to cause the fan to ramp up--that's the PSU's only defense against overheating. In that case, it's no wonder that the OP is obsessed with reducing the amount of heat being funneled through the PSUs, but he'd get a lot more mileage out of ducted rear case fans to exhaust CPU air directly than anything to do with the hard drives.

Note that I'm a single fan fanatic, but my experience is that silent single fan solutions demand creative airflow design and/or older low power equipment. With typical modern equipment, the typical ATX layout with two fans is nearly ideal (rear case fan and PSU fan).

*My prefered technique for bad ATX cases with overly restrictive front intakes is to open up the PCI slots as the main intake and duct it forward to the hard drive suspended over the case floor. Closing off all other intakes ensures excellent airflow cooling the hard drive--and as a bonus it cools the GPU and chipset. Note that proximity to the fan providing the airflow is completely irrelevant! Every bit of air being exhausted by the PSU fan will be replaced by the exact same amount of intake air--and if there's only one intake there's only one place for it all to come from.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:02 am

jaganath wrote:
this is where the particular properties of a hard drive are important--even though they need to be kept very cool, they themselves generate very little heat.
You have obviously never owned a DiamondMax 9 or a Seagate 7200.7 PATA. Some hard drives are cool, some are not. I think you have been running 2.5" drives for so long you have forgotten the characteristics of 3.5", Isaac.
I'll admit I'm biased by my personal experiences and I go mainly with my experiences with my own hard drives. I haven't had either of those drives, true enough. I find it hard to imagine that a really high power hard drive could survive reliably in open air, considering the amount of surface area they have to work with (compared to a typical heat sink).

After years of not knowing what I was doing and thinking that frequent hard drive deaths were normal, I finally learned the value of proper hard drive airflow. I haven't suffered any hard drive deaths since then, except when I cooked "throwaway" drives in dubious experiments.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:21 am

IsaacKuo wrote:Apples and oranges! An air conditioning system operates on a closed system, but a computer is an open system.
That depends how you draw the schematic of the system! Thermodynamically both systems are using a working fluid to transfer heat from a hot place to a cold place faster than it would get there by other means (eg. radiation, convection).
With a computer, heat is dumped along with the hot air.
Yes, in a computer air is the working fluid in the heat transfer process. In A/C there's generally a two or more stage process (air removes heat from hot computers, water removes heat from air, air removes heat from water, rinse+repeat).
Ask yourself, how much heat can be removed by an open window?
Flow rate * specific heat capacity of air * temperature difference (to first approximation)
Answer--as much heat as is in the air leaving it (minus the heat in the ambient air replacing it).
Right. How much heat can a window twice the size remove?
You can't do that with an air conditioning system, because any air dumped outside the system is instantly replaced with hot ambient air from outside.
What hot air from outside? I'm not talking about domestic A/C here I'm talking about heavy-duty A/C in commercial computer rooms (I can take some photos if you want to see them!).
Remember--an A/C system is meant to cool the room to BELOW the ambient temperature outside.
True but largely irrelevant.
So, what's a good measure of cooling potential in a computer system?
(Exhaust - inlet temp) * Flow rate * Specific heat capacity of air (to first approximation).

Do a dimensional analysis:

Temperature difference: degrees C
Flow rate: cubic metres/second
Specific heat capacity: Joules/C/cubic metre

the resulting units: Joules/second, ie. a rate of flow of energy, and as it happens the definition of the Watt.
For example, why is it so popular to duct CPU air out a rear case fan rather than exhausting it through the PSU? Is it to improve CPU temperatures? Not at all. The CPU doesn't care where its exhausted air goes to, only the temperature/amount of the INCOMING air. No, the real reason is to improve PSU temperatures, by giving it relatively cool case air instead of hot CPU exhaust.
Yes, you're trying to maximise delta T. Newton's Law of Cooling and all that.
In order to analyze the cooling potential of a system, you simply have to look at heat and temperatures at individual components and specific locations.
Yes but there's still an overall bound to your cooling, which is quite simply the expression I gave above. You can't change the specific heat capacity of air, so you have two knobs to twiddle: flow rate and delta-T.

To remove maximum heat for a given airflow to need to have the largest temperature differential between inlet and exhaust that you can achieve, which would in an ideal world by the difference between ambient and the hottest component in your system.