quiet cooling for 2 CPUs?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

norman-ramsey

quiet cooling for 2 CPUs?

Post by norman-ramsey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:03 am

This summer I will be building a new PC for work.
My current system has two AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2800+
CPUs. I would like to replace it with another dual-processor system, but quieter. Most of the information on this site seems geared to single-processor systems. I would love suggestions about
  • CPUs
  • power supplies
  • coolers
My budget is around $1500, but I don't have to get super quiet---just quieter than the HVAC in my office.

I'm thinking of the Antec P180 case with suspended HDD.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:12 am

Much as I love the one processor per person is not enough line, are you sure that a dual-core CPU won't suit your purposes as well?

norman-ramsey

Post by norman-ramsey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:37 am

Since we're doing research into compiling for parallel machines, no, a dual-core chip won't cut it---we need to be able to evaluate true off-chip costs. In fact, if we can keep within budget we'll go for two dual-core CPUs.

But don't worry; the machine will be used by a group of at least 4 people, so one processor per person is enough :-)

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:47 am

You are one crazy looking man.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:02 pm

I don't have any experience with dual cpu systems, but I would think that in terms of heatsinks and fans, all the same advice about single CPU systems would apply, especially if you don't have a power-hungry video card that would dissipate more watts than another processor, no? In fact, having two processors is probably easier to cool because they should both be in the main airflow.

What kind of board and socket are you looking at? I guess your options for modern processors in a dual socket sytem are limited to Xeon and Opteron. Are there any other dual socket configs? The Opteron would be preferable for its lower power consumption.

This was an enlightening read for me. As you can see, dual-core isn't always a clear winner because a lot of apps are unable to use more than two CPU cores. I'm not sure what kind of research you're doing, but if it uses apps that take advantage of more than two cores, this would be the cheapest Opteron:
2 * Opteron 265 (S940, "Italy" core) ($[email protected]) = $660

If not, this would be the cheapest single core Opteron:
Opteron 246 (S940, "Troy" core) ($166 [email protected])

CPU cooling - This is going to depend on what kind of motherboard you have and how far apart the sockets are. You may be limited as to how big of a cooler you get. Unless the sockets are really crammed together, an XP-90 is a fairly safe bet. If you have enough room, you can go for the Scythe Ninja with a quiet fan. Always spring for Arctic Silver thermal compound no matter what cooler you choose.

PSU - If you need to save money, you can get the P150 case that comes with the Antec Neo 430W. Otherwise, the S12-430 won't disappoint. You might not need 430W depending on what else you're powering.

Again, I think most of the advice on this site will apply to you, so read up :wink: .

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Badger wrote:You are one crazy looking man.
I wish he would have taught some of my Comp Sci classes :)

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:53 pm

edit: double post :?

silence

Post by silence » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:55 pm

You might have a look at this post for some ideas. Unfortunately the pictures are no longer on their original server or webspace, but you might try sending an email or private message to that user asking for a few sample pics. If you need further recommendations for hardware, please feel free to ask; I've built a few systems that match what you're looking for.

-DG-

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Maybe Zalman Watercooling?